Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a Lexus nx 300h 2018 year, and have been trying to connect my Samsung Note 8 to mirrocast in the hope that I can use google maps or Wayxe rather than try to read information on the terrible screen provided on the car. I find the street names are not bold enough as when  driving are hard to pick out.

I have followed the instructions in the handbook but mirrorcast cannot connect. Or is mirrorcast not meant to work in this country

any advice would be welcome.

I posted some time ago that I was not happy with the definition of the names dlsplayed on the Sat Nav in my 2018 NX, so you are not alone in your observations.

My local dealer was unable to come up with a solution, so it is what it is, unless there is somebody out there who can has a solution to the issue.

Hi Grums

its a disgrace that Lexus are very aware of the issue and have not addressed it. If the nx was not of a high standard in other areas I would have got rid. But for ride comfort and the finish of the car is first class. 

• Like 1

Mirrorcast works for me fine but disconnects when the car goes above a certain speed as designed. 

Wishful thinking but I hope we get an update for android auto. 

i find it gets manageable once you learn to navigate through the menus quickly. My main grips with the sat nav is that there needs to be an easier/quicker way to enter address and traffic rerouting needs to be abit better. It has come to a point where i just use google maps, as it adds 10 minutes to my journey regularly

Just use your phone and the What3Words app with Waze.

What 3 Words is accurate down to a parking space size - so accurate that the front door of your house has a different 3 Word address to your back door. Once you've found the 3 Word address, just 'share' it to Waze and off you go as normal. It's brilliant.

For 2019, the Nav is said to be more intuitive with enhanced graphics.

The Pad may not be everybody's cup of tea but the display itself cannot be bettered.

Tel

3 hours ago, Jimbo40885 said:

Hi do you use any app on your phone or does microcast work by just connecting to the phone without an ap.

through samsung phones, you can just use the "SmartView" feature, basically its the same way you would cast your  phone screen to your tv or chromecast.

2 hours ago, Tel said:

For 2019, the Nav is said to be more intuitive with enhanced graphics.

The Pad may not be everybody's cup of tea but the display itself cannot be bettered.

Tel

really? there was no mention of that in their press release, to me it seems like there are simplifying trim levels

Lexus is very prudential with infotainment, and also in mirrorcast or duplicating cell phone screen  video goes off when car moving. There are some solutions to have mirroring applying a kit to OEM radio, made by waistec or some russian guys… (cheaper).

At the  moment I made some experiments with miracast wifi receiver interfaced to aux input on my RX but still some doubts to buy russian interface to watch on navi screen.

May be the easier way  to have waze and other apps is using an android tablet audio BT interfaced to Lexus radio.

I am talking about RX after 2016, may be that for newer infotainment system in NX o IS it's slightly different. It' s possible to connect a cell phone by wire to have mirrorlink, that's a particular protocol permitting to see on screen and send commands to open ONLY mirrorlink certified apps: tipically navigation , audio, and telephone. A good example of these apps is google auto, BUT being Lexus very prudential about distractions coming from infotainment google auto is NOT implemented. A slight different solution is mirroring cell (or tablet) screen on car screen via a miracast interface (same you can do on your home tv with gooclecast ), where you can only see a copy of what you see in cell screen but keeping touch commands only in phone; it's what I am doing at the moment with my experiments with a miracast wifi interface, BUT there is another problem: because of security issues, all is working till car is in P (not moving), at the same way you can see a movie in USB key or dvd video but when moving screen disappears and you can only hear sound. Of course if you need to use a navigation app or also see your YouTube video while driving this is not so good, and even if it's safer not to drive and watching TV or reading internet news, someone would like to do this anyway, so there are in the market some interfaces to connect to infotaiment system to eliminate security restrictions (they need to access to radio cables extracting radio from dash).

So, as at the moment I would not like to work on OEM radio, the simpler solution is to use a Bluetooth connection to listen audio on car speakers, and use a cell phone or a tablet to watch waze or any app giving touch commans directly to them.