Spottedlaurel

2014 RX450h Premier Buying Advice Please

59 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Depends how you drive it - I've often had 390-400 out of a tankful  :yahoo:

So you do not plant your right foot to the bottom then. I can't resist that powerful acceleration. 

My wife drives the RX during the week as I have one of the best cars for work ( a company diesel car which returns 60 mpg) and when I managed to get an excuse to drive the Lexus, I can not stop myself to feel that power of smooth acceleration. Maybe I will grow out of it one day( I hope not)

• Like 1

400 odd miles is roughly 30mpg from an RX (65 litre tank).  I usually top up when the indicator tells me that I have about 50 miles left in the tank and once topped up (brim full) I get between 330 anfd 360 miles before I'm back to the same point, so roughly 400 miles sounds about right.  However, that's mixed driving and nothing extreme.  Last year whilst in Exmoor for 3 weeks the tank was emptied in under 260 miles.  That's the price you pay when lugging 2.3t plus luggage up and down very steep hills (worked out at under 20mpg).  The hybrid adds nothing to climbing hills but you burn more juice to lug all those batteries and motors about.  If I lived somewhere like that, the RX wouldn't be for me.  That's where diesel makes more sense.

Depends how you drive it - I've often had 390-400 out of a tankful  :yahoo:

Another one for 390-400 miles a tank. Even in this much cooler weather it very rarely drops below 360 miles. The worst I’ve had was 330 and that was because I turned Eco Mode off and drove it like I stole it!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

The hybrid adds nothing to climbing hills but you burn more juice to lug all those batteries and motors about.  If I lived somewhere like that, the RX wouldn't be for me.  That's where diesel makes more sense.

For the last 14 years or so we've had our cars converted to LPG and when we changed to the hybrid it was one hell of a shock how much fuel it uses. I'd go back to LPG in a heartbeat but although it's technically possible to convert a hybrid I wouldn't be brave enough to have it done. The hybrid is such a complex car that I really don't see the point in adding another layer of complexity to it - it would be an absolute nightmare trying to sort out a non-start fault.

If only Lexus did a petrol-only version of the RX450h - I'd have one in the blink of an eye and get it converted.

I can understand the raised eyebrows with real world mpg V's makers claims which are done according to EU stipulated rolling road tests, but the real purpose of these tests is to determine things like tax band and to offer customers a comparason, like for like, between new cars.  On average, if you take the claimed mpg and multiply by 60 to 70% that lands you closer to actual combined mpg.

The mpg of a GS300h I borrowed was actually pretty good at 45mpg, given it's 2.5 litre 4 pot engine.  That's at least 15mpg more than I got from my 2.5 litre 6 pot bmw petrol.

The RX again is pretty good really when judged not by claimed mpg, but when you sit and consider what other 3.5 litre V6 hauling around a 2.3 tonne mass, with high frontal area would let you see close to 30mpg avarage.  That's as good as the BMW X3 and X5 diesels, and on flat mixed driving that average can easily hit high 30's with care.

Whilst not an economical car, anyone with the money to buy one generally has the finances to run one without resorting to LPG conversions which with the complexity of the car in the first place and cost of the proper conversion, I'd have thought wouldn't pay dividends at least not where an RX is concerned.  I would never consider it as I don't do a big mileage in the first place, perhaps just 7 or 8K miles annually.

I prefer thinking of the RX like I do my BMW GSA1200 bike....one of the best all rounders going, with a great driving position, great comfort, decent handling and a real do-it-all nature.  Not best in any one area but possibly a vehicle that'd be hard to better by anything else on the market all things considered.  MPG, whilst not the lofty figures claimed, are actually pretty reasonable.  They certainly better my previous Volvo S60 2.5T,  BMW 325 and on average, even my Lexus GS300.  

Oh, I never use the ECO mode.  I usually have it in sport mode and find very little difference in economy but prefer not to have that awful lag between the pedal being pressed and anything happening.  Best I've seen on a 20 mile mixed drive was 44mpg average.  Worst was about 18mpg over several days where I was hauling a 500Kg payload up and down some pretty extreme hills!