Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How to get a perfect refurb of an IS F Sport wheel ?

Would appreciate any thoughts on how to get a wheel refurb on my FSport ? The finish is called “ Diamond cut “ and it looks amazing . Unfortunately I have slightly damaged one wheel. The firms that offer a mobile service do not match , so what to do ? Thanks for any ideas. 

8CB6B8AE-43B9-4BFA-8BA0-21762660C214.jpeg

Don't believe that's diamond cut that's shadow chrome in colour and very difficult to match. Normally a darker base then the lighter over the top.

Only way to get the whole wheel right is to do the whole thing. Trouble is it's unlikely to match the other 3! I would see what they can do to get it as close as possible on the damage area

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Would appreciate any thoughts on how to get a wheel refurb on my FSport ? The finish is called “ Diamond cut “ and it looks amazing . Unfortunately I have slightly damaged one wheel. The firms that offer a mobile service do not match , so what to do ? Thanks for any ideas. 
8CB6B8AE-43B9-4BFA-8BA0-21762660C214.thumb.jpeg.f1031def6fe3d6152b361f42fb91b56b.jpeg

That looks nasty. Which area are you in?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, leelacey17 said:

Don't believe that's diamond cut that's shadow chrome in colour and very difficult to match. Normally a darker base then the lighter over the top.

Agreed,

Speak to your local Lexus dealer they have many years experience of dealing with damage on these wheels and will have a preferred smart repair agent who should be able to get a close match on the colour. 

Definitely not diamond cut, that is not a paint finish but a mechanical finish. Effectively a machined surface.

You could buy my genuine ISF wheels and sell your IS F-Soort wheels 😎😎 problem solved!!

• Like 1

If that is the only damage, I would carry out a diy repair. Just sand down the scuffed area to get it smooth (that green glasspaper works fine) and get some spray paint from Halfords. You'll probably need to mix a couple of cans - Halfords 'Steel Wheels' is a good starting point, then cut it with some grey - there is a good range of Peugeot greys. Spray the paint into a container (eg the lid of the spray can) and apply it with a brush or your finger. With a bit of  experimentation you will get it so that you can't see the damage from 6ft away.

A professional approach will cost serious money (you'd probably need to get all 4 repainted for a perfect match) and you'll only scuff them again next month!

Yeah as other mentioned F-Sport Wheels from MK3 are not Diamond Cut. The below is Diamond cut (inserts can be any colour):

Image result for diamond cut wheels

As for the colour to qoute from my experience is called Phantom Grey or Smoked Chrome. Most wheel refurbishment places will agree to match the colour, but very few will do a good job. Reason for that these Lexus whees has quite intricate multi level pain, where layers of clearcoat and metallic particles are layered few times. This makes deep shine ans metallic becomes "suspended" in the lacquer on what otherwise is black base coat and you get that colour shift effect depending on the angle. When you go to most wheel refurbishment places, they simply match the "colour, but not the technique", therefore they spray them something like Gun Metal colour, but it looks dull and flat compared to original.