Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

modern technology

scudney

ambient lighting, surround cameras, parking sensors etc etc do we really need them?are they essential? seems in a few years from now we will no longer have the ability to think, as this seems to be continuously being eroded. How about humans becoming thoughtless robots? Is it that far fetched😁????

Cameras and parking sensors are a must have on a larger vehicle with so mane blind spots when manoeuvring. However some of the other fitments are more like toys eg coloured interior mood light ala BMW Mini. 

Spare wheel - fortunately my RX has one but rest assured I won't be changing any wheels. 

5 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Cameras and parking sensors are a must have on a larger vehicle with so mane blind spots when manoeuvring

Not sure I agree with that - how do you think truck drivers cope?

Almost 20 years driving various-sized vans as a telephone engineer on BT means that I'm more than comfortable just using my door mirrors. Reversing and manoeuvring large vehicles is a skill to be proud of when you can do it properly and you know the old saying, 'use it or lose it'.

It is handy having the camera just as a toy or a 'bit of fluff', but I do try to keep my skills honed and not use it too often.

well done and well said Herbie, sadly some of these skills will be lost over time as some and more technology some necessary and some totally 😲 unnecessary get added on to vehicles 🚗 and by the look of it we will become nothing but mere passengers lol 😁 

8 hours ago, Herbie said:

Not sure I agree with that - how do you think truck drivers cope?

Almost 20 years driving various-sized vans as a telephone engineer on BT means that I'm more than comfortable just using my door mirrors. Reversing and manoeuvring large vehicles is a skill to be proud of when you can do it properly and you know the old saying, 'use it or lose it'.

It is handy having the camera just as a toy or a 'bit of fluff', but I do try to keep my skills honed and not use it too often.

I too have driven larger vehicles with no aids in the past (Police riot personnel carriers) which had extremely limited forward visibility when driving with the steel mesh over the windscreen and again needing to reverse on mirrors. 

BUT I wasn't parking in a supermarket parking bay where the length and width of the vehicle will only just fit in if you want room to exit or in a tight on street car parking space. To me that technology makes everyday driving so much easier. 

There are other features that I have had which are a downright menace. Self parking sounds interesting until the car goes in at an angle I wouldn't attempt and then aborts the manoeuvre once the car is wedged in between 2 other cars and the kerb!! 

l am not against technology as such,but would rather it was tailored to needs, drivers reserving into others cars and saying Oh 🙀 sorry my parking sensors didn't beep, what on earth happened to looking over your shoulders. I just think that some of the technology is really unnecessary and of little overall benefit but sadly it seems to sell cars 

3 hours ago, scudney said:

l am not against technology as such,but would rather it was tailored to needs, drivers reserving into others cars and saying Oh 🙀 sorry my parking sensors didn't beep, what on earth happened to looking over your shoulders. I just think that some of the technology is really unnecessary and of little overall benefit but sadly it seems to sell cars 

I have to look over my shoulder to reverse park, but I really like the reverse camera (had it on my previous car). Too deaf to hear the high pitched beep of the parking sensors, so I just watch the bars on the screen go down and quit when it gets to 2 bars, job done 😂.

It’s a pity this car can’t drive itself though and give me the time to gawp around at the passing views, or twiddle on my laptop 😂😂.

Maybe in a few years that model will be out and it had better be all electric too, none of this fuel and electric nonsense 👍