Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IMG_3687.jpg

I was giving my GS a wash today and was lying on the ground cleaning the lower back door. I wanted to make sure I also cleaned all the lower side skirt - I felt around and it felt rough behind.

This picture is taken of the underside of the car just in front of the off side rear wheel. I cleaned away a lot of the dirt but the orange discolouration looks like rust.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

IMG_3686.jpg

Here’s another. The way the undertray is designed is odd as it leaves a small exposed part of painted metal exposed to the ground between the sill cover/side skirt and bottom tray

That's a bugger, what's the rust warranty like? Any good?

Dunno but I’m going to find out all about it.

Sadly I’ve not got the ability to get the car in the air to get right under it so I cannot clean out the dirt that’s collected on the underside to ascertain how much of it’s rust - how much is just dirt etc?

7 minutes ago, st4 said:

Dunno but I’m going to find out all about it.

Sadly I’ve not got the ability to get the car in the air to get right under it so I cannot clean out the dirt that’s collected on the underside to ascertain how much of it’s rust - how much is just dirt etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed: https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty/

Screenshot 2019-01-08 at 18.16.11.png

• Like 1

This is strange, I would not expect that from Lexus. If it is a rust I hope Lexus will fix it without the hustle!

Neither would I - I’m hoping it’s “engrained dirt” rather than rust but it’s got that orange tinge to it

Can you check under yours - just infront of the rear wheels and see if it looks anything like mine?

53 minutes ago, Vlady said:

This is strange, I would not expect that from Lexus.

Never had a first generation IS, then? 😊

31 minutes ago, st4 said:

Neither would I - I’m hoping it’s “engrained dirt” rather than rust but it’s got that orange tinge to it

Fingers crossed. Have you had the GS from new? Just wondering if it has ever had a dodgy repair with a previous owner. 

Another possibility, rather than just any old dirt it is encrusted 'animal' (hence the tinge).

• Like 2

Fingers crossed. Have you had the GS from new? Just wondering if it has ever had a dodgy repair with a previous owner. 
Another possibility, rather than just any old dirt it is encrusted 'animal' (hence the tinge).

I’m the 3rd owner. It’s 5 years old. Could well have had a repair but I suspect at the front as the bumper is about 2mm out from the wing on the near side but not on the offside.

8 hours ago, st4 said:

Can you check under yours - just infront of the rear wheels and see if it looks anything like mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen I will check on mine as well, doubt I will see anything as during the day the car on the underground parking with bad lightning but I will see what I can see.

Rust is a horrible thing, I like to care about the car paint, in fact, rust was the main reason I sold my BMW, it also was badly repaired after the accident I didn't know about and it just ruined our relationship! 😞

• Like 1

Sounds like a long handled brush and some meguirs all purpose cleaner might reveal the truth but it certainly looks suspect. In 1990 I bought a new Vauxhall Cavalier Sri in white. About 6 weeks later I noticed some brown stains around tailgate sealant. Car went to dealers bodyshop and repaired Couple of months later I noticed some more stains in other body seams. Factory engineer attended and car again repaired. 7 months from new I noticed nearly every visible body seam was leaching a brown stain. 

Vauxhall took the car back to the factory and over a 3 month period reshelled the car. I was concerned about the vin number, but because it was a factory rebuild they put the original vin on the car. They lent me a brand new Cavalier CDi for the duration of the repair. 

My car was better new when it came back as they had a team in the factory who hand rebuilt vehicles under warranty. 

When I purchased a New Corsa for my wife a few months later Vauxhall gave me an enhanced deal for returning as a customer sotI was very happy with the customer service. 

Hopefully you will get your issue resolved satisfactorily. 

• Like 1

Had similar issues with my 2007 model.  Front lateral beam (support for the rad) was badly corroded as was front of engine block itself.  Bonnet was also corroding along parts of the inside face seam and around the bonnet lifter strut mount, where in both cases the aluminium under the paint had powdered and bubbled the paint.  I tried a warranty claim to no avail since the previous owner had applied a few stone chip paint blobs to the bonnet top (and appeared to have re-blown in a small area along the front edge) it was claimed by Lexus that as the bonnet had "been painted by people other than Lexus" this rendered the warranty void.  This has nothing to do with corrosion of the seam but that argument fell on deaf ears.  Not the way to impress brand loyalty from customers.

I was also told that the remedy is not treatment and re-spraying, but replacement of the affected panel. In my case, as the corrosion on the bonnet underside was severe, I had to have it re-sprayed after first taken to bare metal and all corrosion treated.  Cost of that and blowing in side wings was £750.  Front beam wasn't addressed.  The car had previously been owned by someone living close to the Bristol Channel and that possibly was a contributing factor.  I note too that my RX rear subframe and suspension linkages were a little rusty as these appear to not come treated in any way from the factory, which is disappointing.  Not even galvanised.  Lexus need to up their game here and properly see to a decent underseal on these cars, not least as it's what one would expect of a car costing upwards of £55K.  I treated the subframe with XCP professional which I will shortly repeat as it's been about 6 months since I applied it.

• Like 1

Had similar issues with my 2007 model.  Front lateral beam (support for the rad) was badly corroded as was front of engine block itself.  Bonnet was also corroding along parts of the inside face seam and around the bonnet lifter strut mount, where in both cases the aluminium under the paint had powdered and bubbled the paint.  I tried a warranty claim to no avail since the previous owner had applied a few stone chip paint blobs to the bonnet top (and appeared to have re-blown in a small area along the front edge) it was claimed by Lexus that as the bonnet had "been painted by people other than Lexus" this rendered the warranty void.  This has nothing to do with corrosion of the seam but that argument fell on deaf ears.  Not the way to impress brand loyalty from customers.
I was also told that the remedy is not treatment and re-spraying, but replacement of the affected panel. In my case, as the corrosion on the bonnet underside was severe, I had to have it re-sprayed after first taken to bare metal and all corrosion treated.  Cost of that and blowing in side wings was £750.  Front beam wasn't addressed.  The car had previously been owned by someone living close to the Bristol Channel and that possibly was a contributing factor.  I note too that my RX rear subframe and suspension linkages were a little rusty as these appear to not come treated in any way from the factory, which is disappointing.  Not even galvanised.  Lexus need to up their game here and properly see to a decent underseal on these cars, not least as it's what one would expect of a car costing upwards of £55K.  I treated the subframe with XCP professional which I will shortly repeat as it's been about 6 months since I applied it.

I suspect it’s the fact the undertray doesn’t cover all the underside of the car.

My fathers bought a new BMW X6 - and although it’s a horrid car in many respects the bodywork is A1. When you look underneath it there’s no exposed metal work at all other than the exhaust and a few suspension bits.

That’s not the case with my RAV4 or GS. The RAV4 is quite old and cheap but it’s very very rusty and there’s plenty of 2005 era cars without any.

I’m a nerdy fella and it’s the same with all that era Lexus. Look under a gen3 IS and you see the undertray doesn’t cover as much as it could.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links