Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashcam recommendations for RX

Looking to fit one now after witnessing so many close shaves in recent months (something in the water maybe?) non of which were attributable to us. Main ones seem to include being tail-gated on the motorway (when travelling at a smidgen over an indicated 70), vehicles pulling into our lane without looking, or pulling our in front of us, dangerous drivers coming the other way across white lines, especially out of corners on country roads around us and idiots who can't seem to work out how roundabouts work (or care...more like).  It doesn't matter how good a driver you think you are, trouble will eventually come knocking these days when it comes to driving, and having insurance claims settled knock for knock where no witnesses were about on my last motorbike prang where I was T-boned at a roundabout (100% the other driver's fault) settled it for me.  From now on, all our vehicles will be equipped with dashcams so we're protected in the event of a no-fault accident.

Now I've managed to work out where to hard wire one  for the RX.  If you remove the fuse cover under the passenger side dash, and look for a fuse marked as "ECU IG1 Nr1" that is the most reliable one to piggy-back off according to my local dealership.  You just require a £2.50 piggy-back kit for micro fuses which allows you to remove the fuse, plug the kit in and replace the fuse atop the kit fuse holder. It contains another fused outlet for your dashcam complete with crimped tail connection.  You fit this, find a bolt to the chassis for an earth connection for your camera wiring, then route the cable inside the edge pof the trim up the passenger side to the roof and along the top towards the rear view mirror, job done.  The camera will come on with the ignition.  Otherwise you use the Power socket in the lower storage part of the centre console and run wiring discretely to there.

That part is all easy enough.  The hard part is which dashcam would others recommend?  It's a minefield out there!  I was tempted to the Nextbase 512GW but some user reports indicate reliability issues 6 months down the line with reading cards or starting up.  This is not just common to that model but to other makes as well.  I also short listed the Garmin 55 as it is neat, unobtrusive and GPS equipped, a must for insurance claims these days.  Other than those the only one catching my eye was the Aukley DR02 which has received rave reviews but similarly has many reported reliability issues 6 months in.  It uses a supercapacitor to be more heat resistant and do away with Battery death issues suffered by many Battery equipped models, when left in hot conditions attached to the windscreen (batteries eventually swell up and fail apparently).

Any feedback/recommendations appreciated.

Paul have a look at the Honest John website. Link below to dash cam reviews. Once you've decide which one to buy please report back and show photos of fitting details ie. which bolt you decide on for the earth. I've been thinking of getting a dashcam myself but like you unsure which one to buy.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/search/?q=camera&sort=dateDesc

@ Eggie:

I looked at those, but they don't seem to offer anything that one at half the cost would.  There's one on eBay and it seems to be the Nextbase 380 model (fleet buyer's dashcam) which offers 1080p, GPS, decent app/PC interface with excellent software.  I don't see what one of those offers over say a Nextbase 312GW available now for under £100.   If you buy the 512GW at around £140, you get a 4K camera (at least you get a UHD spec one anyway), polarising filter so now annoying windscreen reflections, GPS, wifi connectivity (a gimmick really) and a monitor to set up and review in-car. That's still almost £100 cheaper.  Have you a link to the one you saw, in case it differs from the one's I've seen advertised?

Thanks for the link Jeff, but having already read that I'm still not sure which one offers longer term reliability!  I guess you just pays your money and takes your chance...

@C Mclean

I looked at those and they do look excellent options, if quite expensive.  I'd prefer to have ones with a monitor though built in in case review on site was needed.

1 hour ago, JeffL said:

Paul have a look at the Honest John website. Link below to dash cam reviews. Once you've decide which one to buy please report back and show photos of fitting details ie. which bolt you decide on for the earth. I've been thinking of getting a dashcam myself but like you unsure which one to buy.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/search/?q=camera&sort=dateDesc

Already worked that one out Jeff.  If you carefully remove the under-dash panel (easily undone by pushing in 5 clips) containing the footwell light on the passenger side, then carefully remove the bottom side panel trim adjacent to the door pillar (front) you will see a chassis mounted bolt to which several wires from the fuse box are already earthed.  Carefully undo (but do not remove!) the retaining bolt so that you can insert a new grounding fork arrangement (I will make one up and solder a wire tail to it) then re-tighten the retaining bolt, you have a point to run your earth wire to.

Be careful when removing the bottom corner edge trim panel.  To do this, first remove the footwell side trim panel (...just undo one plastic retaining nut clearly visible towards the rear of the panel then wiggle the panel out), then carefully prise the corner side panel trim out fron the top edge first, being careful not to damage the two white retaining plugs lower down.  Once removed you will have clear access to the fuse box wiring and earth point.

You have a choice of two reliable power supply points.  Either take the 15A power point fuse out (cigarette lighter centre console), or as Lexus recommend, take the fuse marked "ECU IG1 Nr1" out and use this to plug your piggy back adaptor to.  I am not sure if this powers off with the ignition...it must do otherwise Lexus wouldn't suggest using it but perhaps someone else could enlighten us?  Main thing is whatever fuse point you choose, it must be 12v or less stable supply otherwise you will have issues with the camera.  This is why you wouldn't for example want to wire a dashcam to say a sunroof supply as that draws variable voltage/current in operation which would affect the camera.  The 15A and the lower amperage ECU supply are both stable supplies.

Alternatively, remove the same trim and route your power socket adaptor lead from the lower centre consol power outlet offtake, up above the footwell panel (and replace panel), across to the side trim (and replace side trim) then simply peel back edge rubber slightly, just enough to rout the cable neatly under it, up to the roof trim and tuck into the front of the roof trim where it meets the screen leaving a flexible tail with connector for the camera supply connection.

Hope this helps.

Only thing I haven't worked out yet is what dashcam to buy!

• Thanks 1

Another vote for Blackvue. Nice and discreet and fit and forget it my experience. I had gone through a fair number prior to the Blackvue I have so it was a welcome relief to find something that was reliable.

I had a Nextbase 402G and although it was a good camera it did have its drawbacks, not least of which is that it's on a suction mount and so dangles down quite a way from the top of the screen. This means that it could (and often did) get in the way of the passenger's view and also it was very noticeable from outside.

It soon gets very tedious having to remove the camera every time you leave the car somewhere in case some scrote breaks in to nick it, so when I broke the Nextbase (somehow managed to sit on it one day) and I was looking for a replacement, I decided on this Viofo A119S which is very small and unobtrusive, which means that it can be left in the car 24/7.

It's a very decent camera, both in daylight and darkness and as I say, you can't really see it from outside unless you're looking for it. I'm well chuffed with it and would highly recommend it.

As far as review sites go, Techmoan is great.

• Thanks 1

i fitted a 402G professional to our RX well over a year ago and basically forgot about it as it can't be seen.i managed to hide it behind the rear view mirror by not using the suction cap and doctoring the top part of the unit which is removable with tiny screws and then securing it to the rear view mirror with the screw that secures the mirror.i also turned off the screen and start up sound and you would never know its there.The Lexus driver returning my car from a service certainly didn't notice as i copt him speeding after checking the footage,which is of good quality by the way.

Thanks all for the feedback.  Blackview are very good but above what I'm currently willing to pay and the lack of review monitor is a disadvantage for me. They do seem a top notch product though. I have looked at the Viofo but the Aukley DR02 seems to be very similar and was equally well reviewed by Techmoan (I believe it is his current dashcam).  Similar spec, £40 cheaper.

• Like 1

Well, after doing some more digging I've shortlisted the Nextbase 312GW and the Aukey DR02 used with the optional gps module.  They both seem to be the best in class from real world reviews and feedback.  Transcend driver Pro 230 seems good value too but the Aukey seems to have the best night time footage and its bit rate means sharp images when vids are paused to retrieve number plate data.

8 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

Well, after doing some more digging I've shortlisted the Nextbase 312GW and the Aukey DR02 used with the optional gps module.  They both seem to be the best in class from real world reviews and feedback.  Transcend driver Pro 230 seems good value too but the Aukey seems to have the best night time footage and its bit rate means sharp images when vids are paused to retrieve number plate data.

I've got the Transcend in one car, I've had it for around three years and it's brilliant. I've got a Nextbase in my Celsior which is also very good, even better as I got my 15% off at Halfords with the gold membership card.  And having just bought a sat nav at Halfords gold membership is seeming like a good move!

My first dashcam was a mini 0801 - it died Battery death after 18 months or so. 

I have had the Viofo A119v1 in our Volvo, A119Sv2 in our Leaf and have got the A129 Duo waiting to go into the GS. 

Viofo have impressed me with continued support (read firmware updates) and problem solving, plus the super-capacitor cameras are distinctly more reliable than Li-Ion dashcams. 

Don't bother with the A119 - the extra resolution comes with a wider view and no more datarate, so there's no better decipherability of numberplates or detail. The extra view width isn't necessary. If you want a single cam, get the A119S - better sensor and very good view. Set to 1080p30 (60fps doesn't gain you anything, and 30fps allows less compression per frame for the given datarate). Also make sure you get the CPL (and only the proper official viofo CPL - i got some cheapies that were only good for throwing away) to cut windscreen reflections. 

Well, after almost buying the Aukey (kept going backk to the DR02) I found a seller selling off a batch of new and sealed Nextbase 312GW dashcams for £28 each! (lets just hope they're genuine stock and not Chinese rip offs but customer feedback is all good). Needless to say I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth and bought one.  No brainer for that money.  If it proves unreliable I can always go to either the A119sV2 or the Aukey DR02 (both are very similar and both are highly regarded). Will update the thread after I get a chance to try it.

14 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Well, after almost buying the Aukey (kept going backk to the DR02) I found a seller selling off a batch of new and sealed Nextbase 312GW dashcams for £28 each! (lets just hope they're genuine stock and not Chinese rip offs but customer feedback is all good). Needless to say I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth and bought one.  No brainer for that money.  If it proves unreliable I can always go to either the A119sV2 or the Aukey DR02 (both are very similar and both are highly regarded). Will update the thread after I get a chance to try it.

Do share Paul 🙂

John

Well I was just going to put up a link to the advert for anyone who wants one but the cheapest I can see now is £77.00, so you did extremely well there Paul, well spotted  :thumbsup:

I checked with Lexus insurance (who I'm currently with) and they don't offer any discounts for dashcam fitment.  What sort of "premium discounts" are you talking about Dan? (ie what does that mean in pounds, shillings and pence?).

Disappointingly AF didn't offer me a major discount on my previous vehicle even though the dash cam was listed on their website. 

They conveniently claimed that their chosen underwriter didn't offer dash cam discounts.

Yay, another WIN for the insurance business.

I still have the dash cam (transferred to my GS) as it's a useful tool 'when' you need it but it's disappointing that an insurance discount wasn't available.

I'm not sure that I would accept a discount for having a dashcam anyway. If you take it out of the car for some reason and forget to put it back the next time you go out, Sod's Law states that that's when you'll have an accident.

Call me cynical but I can see the insurance company using that as an excuse to either refuse paying out or to lower the payment, because they gave you a discount on the premise that you had a camera.

Well what looks too good to be true usually is.  I was contacted by eBay to say that it was a fraudulent listing from a hijacked account and that I had lost my money, so I now have to go through the claims procedure which will move at the pace of a glacier so will now look elsewhere.  eBay is not a good place to buy these things.