Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Jump Starting

I know that the hybrid can be started with a jump lead but can the IS start another car.   Problem is flat Battery on wife's car.  It is not clear (to me) from the handbook if the hybrid battery (in the boot?) can be used to jump start or if the connections in the engine compartment must be used.  I don't want to get a big electric shock ! 

I'd strongly advise you don't do it at all. The Battery isn't large and not really the suitable for starting a vehicle. If you wanted to do it then you must take connections directly off the Battery. You will blow fuses if you tried to use the engine compartment charging points.

• Like 2

I haven't got a hybrid (yet) but from what you are saying it is a NO NO to offer to jump start another car using a Lexus hybrid vehicle? Secondly, what should a Lexus hybrid owner do if the Lexus won't start? Presumably, this would be because the small Battery under the bonnet is dead?

3 minutes ago, JeffL said:

Secondly, what should a Lexus hybrid owner do if the Lexus won't start? Presumably, this would be because the small battery under the bonnet is dead?

Depending on model it is more likely to be in the boot than the engine bay but yes the normal 12v aux batteries can go flat/fail which need to be recharged/replaced, as with a normal vehicle.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JeffL said:

I haven't got a hybrid (yet) but from what you are saying it is a NO NO to offer to jump start another car using a Lexus hybrid vehicle?

Yes, that's correct - not a good idea at all. Just buy one of the units I mention above.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Simply buy one of these small jump start battery packs or maybe this one. They work brilliantly and are well worth the price in peace of mind alone.

Got something similar this Christmas. Not had to use it yet but as you say, piece of mind, and quite a funky piece of kit too. 

• Like 1

There was a quite a pretty young woman at the petrol station about a month ago asking me for a "jump"...... Start. I really wanted to help but wasn't sure either. Glad I didn't now. 

Thanks for the comments.  Glad I was cautious, might have had more than a flat Battery to deal with. 

Now the challenge of deciding what charger to buy from what appears to be a huge choice.  Garage (Subaru) suggests CTek at £75.  Seems bit pricey compared to the range offered by for example Screwfix.  Different volts, different amps, different Battery types - I'm no electrical engineer so it is bewildering.  Back to the garage I think !

5 hours ago, BigChange said:

Thanks for the comments.  Glad I was cautious, might have had more than a flat battery to deal with. 

Now the challenge of deciding what charger to buy from what appears to be a huge choice.  Garage (Subaru) suggests CTek at £75.  Seems bit pricey compared to the range offered by for example Screwfix.  Different volts, different amps, different battery types - I'm no electrical engineer so it is bewildering.  Back to the garage I think !

The CTek is a good charger but way over priced. Aldi do a rely good 4 amp intelligent charger that works on both flooded, and AGM batteries for around £12. It will work on 6 volt and 12 volt batteries, and has settings for small motorbike batteries, standard car batteries, and a cold charge setting. With a liquid crystal display showing Battery voltage, and charge level plus the Aldi 3 year guarantee.

John. 

• Like 1

If it helps, the one I got from amazon was a “DBPOWER 600A 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter” for about £70. 

So it was pricey for what it is, but got good reviews and is capable of starting up to a 6.5L petrol engine. Probably overkill, but I figured that if I’m going to carry one of these things around, I’d prefer one that could cover all eventualities ! 🙂 

On 9 January 2019 at 5:11 PM, Pink said:

If it helps, the one I got from Amazon was a “DBPOWER 600A 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter” for about £70. 

So it was pricey for what it is, but got good reviews and is capable of starting up to a 6.5L petrol engine. Probably overkill, but I figured that if I’m going to carry one of these things around, I’d prefer one that could cover all eventualities ! 🙂 

I have been looking at these and some of the reviews point to poor quality control and some units being DOA!

Have you used yours in anger and did it arrive 100% fully charged? As most of the 'faulty' ones apparently turn up with less than 100% state of charge ( not a good sign ) and then even after charging the units for a long while they fail to reach 100% or if they do display 100% when actually used to do the buisness they fail! If you have had occasion to use it and it worked then You may have been lucky and got a good 'un but I am not willing to take a chance as it seems it may also be a problem returning a faulty unit as couriers don't like lithium batteries! Especially faulty ones!!

paul m.

The large versions of the jump packs that generally have a built in compressor, and maybe even a 240 volt inverter have a lead acid Battery of around 18 AH capacity.

Most of the cheaper versions have a very poor quality flooded Battery with very brittle lead internal connections in the Battery, and poor plate support. If these batteries are subject to mechanical shock the connections brake removing some of the plates from use. This reduces the cranking, and AH capacity of the Battery. They also become sulphated quickly because of the poor quality lead used, and the acid is stronger than it should be to boost cranking amps.

The better units have AGM batteries that will stand up to more rugged use, but even these must be charged regularly to keep there capacity.

John

1 hour ago, Britprius said:

The large versions of the jump packs that generally have a built in compressor, and maybe even a 240 volt inverter have a lead acid battery of around 18 AH capacity.

Most of the cheaper versions have a very poor quality flooded battery with very brittle lead internal connections in the battery, and poor plate support. If these batteries are subject to mechanical shock the connections brake removing some of the plates from use. This reduces the cranking, and AH capacity of the battery. They also become sulphated quickly because of the poor quality lead used, and the acid is stronger than it should be to boost cranking amps.

The better units have AGM batteries that will stand up to more rugged use, but even these must be charged regularly to keep there capacity.

John

With due respect John, I think you're getting confused a bit here.

The jump start packs that we're talking about in this topic are the ones small enough to fit in the glove compartment and use LiPo batteries. This one will fit in the glove box (but not in its protective case - if it was in that it would have to be kept in the boot) and is capable of starting petrol engines up to 6.5 litre.

To answer @Texas - I think 82% or 83% of reviews gave it 5 starts out of 5, so yes, there are faulty ones out there but like anything else, if you get one you're unlucky, as the vast majority are obviously happy with them.

Whenever I buy anything with a rechargeable Battery, whether that be a new laptop, cellphone, vacuum cleaner or whatever, I always put it on charge for at least 6 hours before attempting to use it because all batteries, irrespective of chemistry, will self-discharge with time and we have no idea how long any given device has been in the supply chain.

I usually take it out of the car every three or four months to give it a 'refresher' charge but it's never been lower than 90% charge. I keep saying that I've not used mine yet but I forgot that I did use it once on someone else's car and it worked flawlessly, so I'm quite confident that if I ever do need it for my own car, it'll do the business with ease.

2 hours ago, Texas said:

but I am not willing to take a chance as it seems it may also be a problem returning a faulty unit as couriers don't like lithium batteries!

Erm... how do you think it gets from the shop to you?

4 hours ago, Texas said:

I have been looking at these and some of the reviews point to poor quality control and some units being DOA!

Have you used yours in anger and did it arrive 100% fully charged? As most of the 'faulty' ones apparently turn up with less than 100% state of charge ( not a good sign ) and then even after charging the units for a long while they fail to reach 100% or if they do display 100% when actually used to do the buisness they fail! If you have had occasion to use it and it worked then You may have been lucky and got a good 'un but I am not willing to take a chance as it seems it may also be a problem returning a faulty unit as couriers don't like lithium batteries! Especially faulty ones!!

paul m.

Hi Paul

ive only used it charge the phone a few times at the moment, not jump start a car. With nearly 1000 reviews averaging 4.6 out of 5 stars, that’s a high hit rate on amazon with many buyers impressed, and so I was pretty happy to give this unit a go. Mine arrived 50% charged but I fully charged it to 100% over Christmas, and have just checked it now (in the boot of my car) and it’s still sat at 100%. The unit certainly looks and feels like a quality item, but until I use it I won’t know for sure.  

Btw it’s ok to post batteries (I’ve sent some pretty high powered 18650 lithium ion cells) provided the package is marked. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links