Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre choices - 19inch RX

Hi,

I am a new owner of an 2012 450h it came from Lexus as an approved car/3 yr warranty.

I foolishly never checked a few things before purchasing , namely the tyres which I presumed would be matching with it being a lexus approved car.

it's currently wearing 2 X Dunlop EfficientGrip  on the front and a Pirelli  scorpion Verde all season with a Dunlop SP sport at the rear (both with 3 mm of tread)

i have a couple of questions - firstly what do the collective think is the ideal all season choice for an RX used daily in scotland ?

I never like to see a mix of tyres let alone on an axle, is the mix made even worse of the fact that the perelli is an all season and the Dunlop a summer tyre?

thanks in advance

Graham

If it were me I'd take the opportunity to replace all tyres now.

I recently fitted Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen 2 all round and so far they've been superb.

31 minutes ago, Garemberg said:

Hi,

I am a new owner of an 2012 450h it came from Lexus as an approved car/3 yr warranty.

I foolishly never checked a few things before purchasing , namely the tyres which I presumed would be matching with it being a lexus approved car.

it's currently wearing 2 X Dunlop EfficientGrip  on the front and a Pirelli  scorpion Verde all season with a Dunlop SP sport at the rear (both with 3 mm of tread)

i have a couple of questions - firstly what do the collective think is the ideal all season choice for an RX used daily in scotland ?

I never like to see a mix of tyres let alone on an axle, is the mix made even worse of the fact that the perelli is an all season and the Dunlop a summer tyre?

thanks in advance

Graham

I`d take it straight back to the Lexus Dealer which sold you the vehicle and tell him that the tyres fitted do not comply with the detail contained within this text. One does not obtain a pre-owned vehicle with such a mix of tyres.

The Lexus Warranty is designed to give the reassurance that you would expect when buying an Approved Pre-Owned Lexus.
All Approved Pre-Owned Lexus vehicles are supplied complete with one year's manufacturer's equivalent warranty with unlimited mileage cover. All vehicles with less than a full year of manufacturer's warranty remaining will require a Mandatory Warranty to be applied for. Vehicles under 60,000 miles and with a full year of manufacturer's warranty remaining do not require a Mandatory Warranty to be applied. Your local Lexus Centre will arrange all this for you. Any Lexus vehicles regardless of age or mileage qualify.
All Approved Pre-Owned Lexus Car Warranties have the same level of cover as the Lexus new vehicle warranty, with the exception of batteries, interior trim and corroded exhausts. The exact level of cover is detailed on the reverse of the warranty application form and also within your handover pack you receive when purchasing your vehicle.
All Approved Pre-Owned Lexus Car warranties include wear and tear cover for batteries, exhausts and wiper blades for three months or 3,000 miles.

Thanks for the replies.

I am awaiting a call back from the dealership, i don't mind having to replace tyres on a used car but I was shocked to see 3 different types on an approved Lexus, I'm usually very careful with cars but simply assumed they would be matching 

1 minute ago, Garemberg said:

Thanks for the replies.

I am awaiting a call back from the dealership, i don't mind having to replace tyres on a used car but I was shocked to see 3 different types on an approved Lexus, I'm usually very careful with cars but simply assumed they would be matching 

The text I highlighted refers to the vehicle being as a new vehicle warranty and new cars should all have the same tyres. Not a mix of either manufacturers or season.

Good luck and do keep us informed please..

4 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

I understood that Approved Lexus had to have tyres with a minimum tread depth whieI thought was 3.5mm.

As to tyres, I am running on Michelin Cross Climates which are superb. 

I think it is 3 ,but could be wrong.

Yes Michelin Cross Climates are superb I believe. I have Kumho All Season on my GS but not encountered any severe conditions yet.

Cross climates are very good as are the Pirellis but they're both a tad expensive.  I have fitted Avon ZX7 tyres to mine as they can be had for just £400 fitted all round!

They give superb wet weather grip, are very quiet and hold the road way better than the rubbish OEM Dunlops which frankly have nothing to recommend them except they last a long time...mostly because they seem to be made from a cross between ptfe and iron!!!  The wet weather grip ion the Dunlops was atrocious and the noise was terrible.

Whereas you'd easily get 25K miles on the OEM tyres, I've only managed 7K miles from the  Avons before changing them so have gone through one set of fronts each year.  Rears last longer, perhaps twice as long but I don't mind new tyres every year or two.  Grip is not something I take chances with and the  Avons are superb in all conditions.  I used them last year in the snow and ice, and once passed a few 4wd SUVs which were stuck.  I've also used it off road but really it needs proper off road tyres to be any good.  In the snow it was superb even with just the Avons fitted.

I think it's more that they use a softer compound for superb all weather grip.  Recommendations were asked for and that's precisely what I've provided. They may get half the mileage of Michelins but my local supplier always has ready stocks of the Avons and they work for me.  However, for the sake of an extra £50 per corner I have my eye on the Michelins as I would like to compare them🙂

The Pirellis don't work as well in the wet as the Avons...bought one set of the Pirellis and whilst they were fine in the dry, the  Avons provided more feedback and superior grip in mixed conditions.  As a frequent motorcycle rider, I know what it is to have confidence in wet conditions and never compromise where brakes or tyres are concerned.  

I think i'll keep an eye on the Michelin Cross Climate they seem to be out of stock in 235/55/19 pretty much everywhere including Costco who have a rather good discount offer on Michelin at the moment btw.

Lexus Sales were quite embarrassed, and will get back to me, The inspection was dated 24th Dec so perhaps the service dept were distracted.

24 minutes ago, Garemberg said:

I think i'll keep an eye on the Michelin Cross Climate they seem to be out of stock in 235/55/19 pretty much everywhere including Costco who have a rather good discount offer on Michelin at the moment btw.

Lexus Sales were quite embarrassed, and will get back to me, The inspection was dated 24th Dec so perhaps the service dept were distracted.

Michelin claim the cross Climates will do 11000 more miles than the rivals. My tyre guy says a customer on cross Climates has done over 30000 miles on a set and he drives his car like he stole it. 

4 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Michelin claim the cross Climates will do 11000 more miles than the rivals. My tyre guy says a customer on cross Climates has done over 30000 miles on a set and he drives his car like he stole it. 

I wouldnt be surprised if it was a 1.0l hatchback, they do over 50k miles on rear tyres alone.

The michelin latitudes on my 3RX did about 28k before being changed. I doubt the cross climates would do 39k on an RX. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links