Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic Full Beam

I have a 2014 IS300H Executive which does not have the automatic dipping headlights. I know these are activated by a dashboard button (which isn't installed on mine) so I wondered whether it is possible to have the button installed and auto headlights activated? 

No not sure at all.

If you have lane keep assist and speed sign recognition then you would already have the camera fitted just underneath your rear view mirror, so you would think it would just be a matter of software and a relay to turn on and of your high beam, but then if it was that easy they wouldn't be able to charge £££ as a extra.

1 hour ago, DaveM100 said:

Thanks. I understand, but I thought the sensor may already installed but not activated in the software , are you sure it isn’t?

Unlike many German vehicles, Toyota will not install equipment that isn't used. Not even the wiring to the camera would be in the wiring loom if the camera wasn't fitted. 

don't blame you to be honest, do we really need them? Same with automatic rain sensing wipers come on too early or when you don't really need them, put mine on manually when it suits me 😊 

8 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Unlike many German vehicles, Toyota will not install equipment that isn't used. Not even the wiring to the camera would be in the wiring loom if the camera wasn't fitted. 

Well, Mercedes certainly don't, even if a loom is fitted it won't have the wires required to operate the additional options.

8 hours ago, Blisteringblue said:

I have them and they are more a gimmick than a safety feature.  They are too late switching off so you are going to annoy a lot of oncoming cars.  So I tend to leave them off and use them manually.

They also tend to switch off when seeing reflective road signs, plunging one into (relative) darkness down country lanes!

• Like 1

I have these 2 sensors on the windscreen under the rear view mirror. I know one will be the rain sensor, but which one and what is the other? (ignore the 2 stripes in the middle, that is my dash am mounting point.) Thanks

IMG_20190110_122959.jpg

For a preface lift car only 'premiere' spec cars with optional 'safety pack' ordered at factory has auto highbeam, along with adaptive cruise control, blind spot and rear cross traffic monitoring and crash avoidance.

All this is enabled from a camera installed in the mainwindscreen and I persume an ECU somewhere, I highly doubt your be able to retrofit these features.

One of the reasons why we went for a fresh factory order back in 2015 was because I couldn't find any used cars that had the 'safety pack' fitted. 

The IS is my wifes car and she tends to keep her cars a long time - last car 8 years. So am glad we paid extra a few years ago, as even now her 2015 car has all the gadgets you need. We leave the high beam on 'auto' as it works pretty well - its not as good as the system Tesla implement but perfectly useable. The rear cross traffic warning though is fab, its something even the Tesla cannot do and works really well!!

On 1/9/2019 at 4:26 PM, DaveM100 said:

I have a 2014 IS300H Executive which does not have the automatic dipping headlights. I know these are activated by a dashboard button (which isn't installed on mine) so I wondered whether it is possible to have the button installed and auto headlights activated? 

We have the 2015 model, and it lacks a lot of features which cannot be retro fitted.  Rear camera, voice recognition to name but two. 

Maybe we should have done more research before buying, but we are generally happy with the car.   Our 2014 Ford BMax has more

features than our Lexus.

This is camera on the front of our IS, there is also a radar in front and rear bumper. I suspect its the same Mobile Eye setup found in countless other cars, am pretty sure Lexus could have also enabled 'auto steer' as the car can 'see' road marking quite consistently when lane keep assit is on, but Lexus with their conservative approach to tech probably choose not to push the hardware too much.

45976210944_46f50bfea8_z_d.jpg

the auto steering is on ,when i 1st overtook without having the need to indicate

i felt the steering wheel vibrate and the steering wheel turned to bring the car back

into its lane a bit of a surprise when it 1st happened i'm use to it now though.

I have auto full beam on my GSF - it’s totally useless. 

I’ve tried using the feature on a few night journeys and the headlights take so long to react, or gets easily confused, it’s almost as if they switch on/off at random!

The final straw was when, driving along a dual carriageway at night with the headlights operating in dipped beam mode, I closed the distance to the car in front as we approached a roundabout.  The headlights then decided to increase to full beam and stay there -  I think the other driver got the hump! I’ve never bothered with them since! 

20 hours ago, mrfunex said:

I have auto full beam on my GSF - it’s totally useless. 

I’ve tried using the feature on a few night journeys and the headlights take so long to react, or gets easily confused, it’s almost as if they switch on/off at random!

The final straw was when, driving along a dual carriageway at night with the headlights operating in dipped beam mode, I closed the distance to the car in front as we approached a roundabout.  The headlights then decided to increase to full beam and stay there -  I think the other driver got the hump! I’ve never bothered with them since! 

I never really used the auto high beam on my IS because it is too slow, incorrectly reacts to road signs etc. but the Adaptive High-Beam System on the GS works well for me.

I can travel behind someone on full beam with their vehicle shuttered so it doesn't annoy them but with the roadside on the left and the on-coming lanes all lit up, and then just the right side dips if an on-coming vehicle approaches.

When I were a boy and the roads were still clogged up with horses, the dipping control was to the left of the clutch pedal. It meant that at speed and at night (conditions when you really need to be in full control) you could dip or un-dip headlights by a simple foot press without having to use your hands. Now that automatics are so common, it would be sensible to re-introduce this . 

• Like 2

Thanks Nemesis UK. I am also old enough to remember those ground breaking innovations - it's the reason I need auto dipping headlights for when I forgotten I've switched them on 30 seconds ago ! 🙄

8 hours ago, Bratman91 said:

When I were a boy and the roads were still clogged up with horses, the dipping control was to the left of the clutch pedal. It meant that at speed and at night (conditions when you really need to be in full control) you could dip or un-dip headlights by a simple foot press without having to use your hands. Now that automatics are so common, it would be sensible to re-introduce this . 

My first car was a 1948 Morris Minor with a split windscreen and a foot operated dip switch.

My view is that the driver must retain responsibility for all aspects of the vehicle at all times and as such I do not have any of the "automatic"  faciities switched on.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:31 AM, NemesisUK said:

They also tend to switch off when seeing reflective road signs, plunging one into (relative) darkness down country lanes!

I had them on the latest model BMW mini and a spirited drive across the Yorkshire Moors nearly caused a disaster as I came out of a right hand bend with a stone wall which caused the lights to dip as I entered the unlit road beyond which of course was unfenced onto the Moor. 

I kept them off after that. 

• Like 1