Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crack in Plastic Plenum of RX 400h Radiator

My 2008 RX400h with 135k on the clock has started to lose small amounts of coolant from a hairline crack about 100mm long I have spotted in the plastic plenum chamber (I don't know its correct term) which is the only visible part of the main coolant radiator. By small amounts I mean enough to take the header tank from max to minimum in 2000 miles - clearly however it might get worse.   Lexus are quoting £800 for a replacement radiator.   Does anybody have any suggestions of glues or whatever which might do the the job?

2 hours ago, enginedriver said:

My 2008 RX400h with 135k on the clock has started to lose small amounts of coolant from a hairline crack about 100mm long I have spotted in the plastic plenum chamber (I don't know its correct term) which is the only visible part of the main coolant radiator. By small amounts I mean enough to take the header tank from max to minimum in 2000 miles - clearly however it might get worse.   Lexus are quoting £800 for a replacement radiator.   Does anybody have any suggestions of glues or whatever which might do the the job?

I find a hot soldering iron will often seal the type of crack you describe after draining any coolant to below the crack . Melting some hot melt glue into the crack with the iron if the material is to thin. Using a hot melt glue gun on it's own does not usually provide enough heat to bond well.

John.

• Like 1

Hi there, 

I have the same issue, crack in radiator but not leaking, dealer quoting £900 but eurocarparts selling part for £100, anyone out there got it fitted by an independant mechanic, please share your experience