Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My car stalls on start up and rev falls - Only for a minute or two

Hi All - Happy New Year!

So i have a slight problem and maybe someone knows why my IS is doing this.

When I start my car, put in drive gear the car takes a second break before it wakes up to go (as if it thinks "oh I need to move"). As I have a hump just before I leave my park park, when I slow down the car sometimes stalls as if there is no fuel or the rev falls well below the normal 1 rev counter and cuts the engine out.

Once the car has warmed up the problem is gone! - It only happens for the first minute or two.

Any ideas?

Thinking to buy a BG44K.

9 minutes ago, Britprius said:

I suggest you clean the MAF sensor on the air intake with some MAF cleaner. It's an easy job that often improves engine low speed running, and fuel economy.

John.

Hi John

Thanks for that as I remember doing that a few years back and the response from the car was great.

Just to make sure, I'm doing it right.

1. Disconnect Battery

2. Take out MAF and clean using electrical clearner 

3. Fix MAF and reconnect Battery - Reset all windows.

There is no real need to disconnect the Battery as long as the ignition is not turned on, but doing so will also reset the engine ECU, and this may also help.

Be careful you do not brake the very fine hair like wire in the MAF but your method is correct. You can buy aerosol cans of MAF cleaner at most motorist shops including Halfords.

John.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There was a recall in US for carbon built up. 

'' Intermittently runs rough after coming to a stop with the engine at operating temperature.
Intermittently runs rough with engine misfires present after a cold soak startup.

If this condition occurs one or more of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes* (DTC's) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P304, P305, and/or P0306 may be recorded
*The check engine light may illuminate for reasons unrelated to this condition. ''

The text above is from the recall letter. Might be worth doing a scan for errors.