Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Brake Calipers for IS250 2007 - Solid or Ventilated

mk_lon

Hi Guys, 

I wondered if you could shed some light on this for me. My Rear Brake Calipers for my IS250 2007 need to be replaced (according to my local independent), I replaced the rear pads last year as they were squealing, then they started squealing again after 6months or so and when it went in for the service in early Jan they said the rear calipers (last changed in 2012) or on the way out.

Im trying to source the calipers myself and found two types...... Solid or Ventilated.

I don't know which ones to buy, could you guys shed some light on this?

Kind Regards,

If you haven't worked on the calipers yourself then I suspect the guide/slide pins are dry and just need a clean and re-grease (garages seem to rarely perform this task these days). 

Which would negate your need to shell out for replacement calipers, so is definitely worth a look. 

Are you able to check this for yourself?  

As for the question of vented or solid disks, take a peek through your alloys and check if the brake disk is solid or has two braking faces with webs in between.  Solid are typically fitted to the rear unless it's a performance car or heavy vehicle.  Also online tools usually allow you to enter your VIN to help confirm the correct components, have any asked for this?

Do you mean discs not calipers? Discs can be solid or ventilated. I've attached a picture of a ventilated disc so you can check them against your car. A solid one is just that no holes between where the 2 plates are on the picture.

If you change discs you need to do pads at the same time. If they are squealing as described they may just need some copper grease added. If they have been on there for that length of time they may have just worn out anyway. Do you have any photos?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Vented Discs are 18mm thick & solid are 10mm thick, and consequently there are two different size calipers to allow for this, so you should be able to tell, like mentioned above, by looking through your rear wheels. I would question your 'independent' and ask are they able to be removed and clean/refurbished? They like Lexus might just wanna play with new parts for an easy life, instead of putting in some old fashioned time and effort.

The squealing could be the result of a stuck caliper slide pin(s) which is a known weak point on the 250 for some reason, and this does not allow the pads to fall away from the disc after a breaking event and you get the squealing.

paul m.

• Like 1

Thank you guys,

I'll pop out and take a look at some point today.

When I looked at the various websites I was presented two options thus the questions. I called my indie and they said they will call the supplier to see which pads were supplied, I called Lexus Woodford and they confirmed there are two different sizes of rear calipers but the chap on the phone did not have a clue which one for my car (and in doing so he ended up reassuring me of my decision to use an Indie for the last 3 years - 🤣).

Kind Regards,

Mo 

40 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Which would negate your need to shell out for replacement calipers, so is definitely worth a look. 

Are you able to check this for yourself?

unfortunately i have no tools and am pretty useless when it comes to car DIY 😓

""unfortunately i have no tools and am pretty useless when it comes to car DIY 😓""

That's the sort of thing you don't wanna be saying within earshot of the garage that could interpret into £££££'s therefore you are sort of at the mercy of what the garage says you need, when if fact there maybe ( cheaper for you/harder for them) options.

paul m.

Lol very true, I am fortunate to know the owner and his garage is one of the last honest places I know of thus they are not the cheapest. 

I looked at the discs earlier today and found them to be ventilated see pic attached (unless I am mistaken) 

Thank you for your help guys 

20190111_124023.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leelacey17 said:

I've attached a picture of a ventilated disc so you can check them against your car.

Hi Lee, 

I can't see the picture could you attach it again? 

Kind Regards 

Mo 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links