Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

eCVT oil change

Svilen

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and I do apologise if the topic already exists,  but I have performed a search and it returned 0 topics. So back to the question. I have a 2016 GS300h and was just wondering if the transmission oil has to be changed at any point. I was searching a lot in internet and nothing says that eCVT oil has to be changed at xxxxxxx miles. Does anyone has an idea about it ? Thanks

You will find all the information you need in Lexus-tech.doc. It costs about 6 Euro per hour of looking up repair, maintenance and scheduled service information.

You can also print anything you want.

I have already changed the ecvt transmission oil in my car according to the maintenance schedule.

19 hours ago, Svilen said:

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and I do apologise if the topic already exists,  but I have performed a search and it returned 0 topics. So back to the question. I have a 2016 GS300h and was just wondering if the transmission oil has to be changed at any point. I was searching a lot in internet and nothing says that eCVT oil has to be changed at xxxxxxx miles. Does anyone has an idea about it ? Thanks

There seems to be no clear guidance to this. Over on the US Prius chat forum much research has gone into this with oil annaliss   at various mileages to check for ware metals in the oil.
The outcome was that the oil should be change at around 20,000 miles, and then every 30,000 miles. It was found the first change showed the oil to have lost 20% of it's viscosity, contained large quantities of steel from the bed in process, and was dark in color often with larger metal fragments on the magnetic drain plug. After the initial change ware metals decreased dramatically, but the oil viscosity still fell. Using alternate non Toyota oils produced copper contamination in the oil from the motor winding's.

Bearing in mind the oil also acts as an electrical insulator " the high voltage motor generator winding's run in the oil" it would be prudent to change the oil to maintain this property. The original Toyota specification oil should also be used.

Toyota/Lexus do not call for an oil change in the service schedule, but in the scheme of things an oil change is cheap insurance on transmission longevity.

John. 

• Like 1