Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reverse lamps

I have noticed that upon selecting reverse I only have a lamp on the right hand side lighting up.  Is this normal or should they light up on both sides?  The car is a late 2016, facelift Is300h, with the revised rear lights. 

The light it gives off is really appalling though. Even after upgrading with LED!

Last week reversing into a dark driveway and could not see anything, even with the rear camera. This is a definite fail for Lexus as they otherwise make an excellent car! 

Is there any way to modify to a brighter and 2nd light?

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobusa said:

The light it gives off is really appalling though.

It's so poor that I routinely keep the left indicator on so that I get a better chance to see potential hazards as I reverse. And it's just occurred to me that I could use hazard lights to greater effect as the lights would flash on both sides! 

But it's a puzzle why they specified such an inadequate light that you have to improvise like this. Surely they must have tested it in the real world. Or maybe not?

11 hours ago, bobusa said:

Last week reversing into a dark driveway and could not see anything, even with the rear camera.

you can change the brightness or the contrast of the screen this should make it easier to use the rear camera

20 hours ago, Thackeray said:

It's so poor that I routinely keep the left indicator on so that I get a better chance to see potential hazards as I reverse. And it's just occurred to me that I could use hazard lights to greater effect as the lights would flash on both sides! 

But it's a puzzle why they specified such an inadequate light that you have to improvise like this. Surely they must have tested it in the real world. Or maybe not?

Unfortunately there is a limit set in the construction, and use regulations that restrict the bulb size to 21 watts total so if you have two reversing lights the output cannot be more. I agree it is perhaps the design of the rear light units that reduces the light output. 
You could fit infrared LED's  " the type used in TV remote controls" as powerful as you like so that with your eyes they cannot be seen, but the will illuminate the rear area for the camera very well as most cameras are infrared sensitive "night vision". Try putting the car in reverse and pointing your TV remote at the camera. This will show brightly on the screen. This is also a good way to check the remote if your not sure it's working.

John.

you can change the brightness or the contrast of the screen this should make it easier to use the rear camera

I found this made a massive difference, I have to reverse into a pitch black drive and now it’s so much easier

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk