Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying GS450H Gen3 Looking a bit of advice

Hi Everyone,

Currently own 03 GS300 which I use as a Taxi (Mileage 225k), I am sticking with Toyota/Lexus and was considering getting a Prius or Hybrid (Would like to save on fuel costs)

The amount of comments I get from customers of how Nice/Comfortable the car is you would not believe, and considering that the car is 15yrs old and I spend all day in the car I like the comfort too, So would like to stick with the GS. I currently get 22 MPG on my current car and considering most of my driving is city Stop/Start and Waiting on customers (Urban is listed as 17MPG) I am quite happy.

I have seen lots of posts on what people get on motorways and commutes to work but was wondering what most of you get driving around town?

Also, on test driving a GS450H is there anyway on testing the Hybrid/Battery without plugin in a scanner i.e. driving on EV mode if it has one

Many Thanks

Apologies for the shameless bump, But would really appreciate some input.

Basically was just wondering what kind of mpg I can expect from driving around town (I don't drive it like I stole it!)

Also, if I buy from a private owner - is there any way I can test the Battery without having to plug in a scanner??

Like I say - would be really grateful for some pointers.

Although i don't do much pure town driving I would say that i'd get 30mpg and over 2 years I've averaged 35mpg mixed driving (tank to tank based).

The mk3 GS450h benefits from just a little stop start and if you can keep rolling then all for the better. The Battery isn't capable of pure EV mode for long and works best assisting you.

Recently i've been experimenting with steady cruise speeds and find 65-70 yields a fairly constant combustion cycle around 37mpg (ish). Whereas driving slightly faster means lifting off more and overall gives a better mpg. I've tried this over numerous trips rather than just noticing it once.

I really need to get the Hydrid Assistant app running again and get a few more hrs experience with it to see if that helps to show how the systems work best together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An update for Deet.

I filled the GS 450h (Gen 3 ) with Shell Super V and  travelled from Wirral to St Andrews in Fife last Monday morning  via the new Queensferry Bridge a distance  totaling 290 miles.

I have  covered 100 miles locally with School runs, trips to local Cubs and Rainbows groups and local shopping and have just filled up with 52.8 litres of Tesco Momentum.

52.80 litres divided by 4.546, gives 11.6 gallons into 390 miles gives 33.62 mpg.

My overall mpg over 55,000 miles gives 34.7 according to the OBC. If I assume a not unreasonable  8% error in the OBC, I arrive at 32mpg overall.

For a V6,  providing a sublime ride in near silence with performance available whenever and wherever I want it , that is the "price " I pay.

The Gen 4 version is somewhat more frugal, but not ecstatically so, and I am sure that other members can provide their own stats.

I used to average around 30mpg from my 2006 GS450H day to day on a 10 mile commute to work and back. The GS450H is more of a performance hybrid than economy and therefore doesn’t really operate in pure EV mode much at all, you can accelerate extremely gently and I mean gently to about 20mph for about 1 mile before the engine kicks in as the Battery soon depletes, of course the engine still turns off whilst coasting and braking to save fuel. These cars are also extremely fast with astonishing acceleration available which you will enjoy using thanks to the instant torque of the electric motor and CVT transmission acceleration is constant and seamless like a train!!!

There is no real test of the hybrid system you can do other than see if everything seems to operate as it should, you can do this by keeping an eye on the screen on the dash. A recent hybrid healthcheck certificate would be nice to have although it only covers the Battery and not the rest of the hybrid components and the warranty only covers you if the car is less than 10 years old and less than 100k as far as I know even with a hybrid healthcheck being done.

The shocks are different on the GS450H to normal GS’s and are a known weak spot with replacements being very expensive at around £400 each, the Y join on the exhaust can also blow, rear brakes are prone to seizing due to under use as the car uses regenerative braking from the hybrid system. Check for rust along the leading edge of the bonnet. Also the batteries steal a lot of boot space so something else to be aware of. TPMS sensors can also fail.

They are a technologically amazing car offering a virtually unrivalled combination of performance, economy and refinement but can be very costly should anything go wrong.

Good luck!!!

My GS450h SE is just lovely, on hindsight though, i would probably would have preferred the SEL model as the Radar Cruise on those is superb - technology that was far ahead of its time at the time! Reliability I don't think you can knock it really. All the points raised above are reasonably common but should not put you off, shame you didn't ask a while back as i knew a chap who was downsizing as his wife didn't like driving larger cars - I did the works on his hybrid Battery & she was in beautiful shape. I have a nice silver one in at the moment from the Isle of Wight which, at 12 years old, will soon be running & looking like new again.

All the best

Richard

• Like 2

My next car so very interested  in this tread I have a 2007 GS300 love it , but road tax 1499 euro GS450H  2008 on 750 euro.our car taxation  is a disgrace a 2006/7 GS450H  will set you back 1809 euro in tax go figure .

• Sad 1

On 1/18/2019 at 12:49 PM, royoftherovers said:

An update for Deet.

I filled the GS 450h (Gen 3 ) with Shell Super V and  travelled from Wirral to St Andrews in Fife last Monday morning  via the new Queensferry Bridge a distance  totaling 290 miles.

I have  covered 100 miles locally with School runs, trips to local Cubs and Rainbows groups and local shopping and have just filled up with 52.8 litres of Tesco Momentum.

52.80 litres divided by 4.546, gives 11.6 gallons into 390 miles gives 33.62 mpg.

My overall mpg over 55,000 miles gives 34.7 according to the OBC. If I assume a not unreasonable  8% error in the OBC, I arrive at 32mpg overall.

For a V6,  providing a sublime ride in near silence with performance available whenever and wherever I want it , that is the "price " I pay.

The Gen 4 version is somewhat more frugal, but not ecstatically so, and I am sure that other members can provide their own stats.

Another update for Deet.

Return journey gave 32 mpg brim to brim.

These are real World figures Deet. No kidding, no imaginary "are buts".

Brace yourself. The warmer weather will bring an improvement ,but not a quantum leap!

Deet have you gone to sleep as you`ve not posted for 15 days?

• 3 weeks later...

Really appreciate the updates and further information, going to view a GS450H tomorrow and came back to the post to refresh myself.

I was unaware that there had been new post as i was not getting notifications through my phone. 

Thanks Again

Collecting a 2008 GS450h SE (one family owner, 64k miles, full independent service history). Is that a 3rd of 4th Generation? And the main differences? Thank you, and to Richard of hybrid Battery solutions for his very helpful callback. Also, and that’s just icing on the cake, how to add DAB if it doesn’t have a USB socket? Tough decision but will probably sell my IS250C (34k miles, ‘09/59, SE-L, vgc, FSH) if the GS is as good as I hope. (£9.5k no-offers to the right home). All my family use or need people and stuff carriers. The SC430 is irreplaceable.

2008 is a MK3, MK4 came out in 2012

Main differences are two many to mention, The MK4 in my opinion  was a completely different car , larger boot, better m.p.g, ride, comfort and handling, and the f sport also looked good.   

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

Thanks, Wendle, I think a dark bkue or black are far better for the Gen3, also the model looks far more purposeful from the rear. I’ll try a 2012 GS. Unimpressed by 2 day-loaners, today’s CT200h and the current mid-priced hybrid coupe, its very poor ride, far worse in Sport mode, a spoilt car with a BMW dashboard.

11 hours ago, wendle said:

Make sure the boot is big enough if you're going to use it as a Taxi, ( Airport runs ) the GS 450h has a smaller boot that the GS300, the GS 450h Mk4 boot is larger than the MK3.

That is a concern of mine, Currently I get two large and one/two cabin cases in at a push (although you do loose some space in the far corners with the boot hinges so they need to be flat)

When I view the car I am going to bring some cases just to check for peace of mind, From what i can gather is that the cabin cases should be ok on the sides, its very rarely i get customers bringing 3 large cases.

I owned a low-mileage second-hand 2008 Honda Legend 3.5 EX. Extremely comfortable, I shall compare my 2008 GS450h on Monday to that. The Legend handled like a sports car with its 4wheel-drive if economy was forgotten; but I never got  more than 24mpg so hardly used it.The radar cruise control was frustrating, decelerating as I overtook high-sided trucks. I sold the Legend to the trade at 33 month because, despite its 36 months warranty, Honda refused to honour the replacement of the nearside external mirror assembly, an £800 item. I think Honda were suffering financially from the tsunami that also destroyed Japanese nuclear plants. I have never bought Honda since though they are excellent engineers.

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links