Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MK3 GS450h - how does this exhaust look?

xPOuZ9R.jpg

Just had a look at a GS450h - pretty sure I'll be an owner of one at some point! Looking at the exhaust 'Y' as advised - clearly there's a bit of corrosion here but it doesn't look too bad to me. Any opinions? How do they usually look before they fail?

Cheers!

My 2008 GS450h exhaust broke at the 'Y', a couple of months ago. Luckily I talked to my local garage before splashing out about £500 for a custom stainless.  They just welded it back together. 

It seems that the problem is not the metal rotting away but a fatigue crack, so the metal is still thick enough to repair.

Good job too and only £60.

• Like 2

I detected a slight leak and kept meaning to have a look. Every time I went out I was usually in a hurry and when I got back it was invariably dark. So it leaked until it finally fell off.

There was no warning, it went from slight leak to dragging in a few yards.

• Like 1

I would check the back boxes too and not just the Y point. Ultimately budget in getting a custom one built up as they will go. I went to Tony Banks in Leeds which quite a few folk here have also used. I bought a "CAT back" system, with OE looks and sound, for just under £500...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Normski said:

I would check the back boxes too and not just the Y point. Ultimately budget in getting a custom one built up as they will go. I went to Tony Banks in Leeds which quite a few folk here have also used. I bought a "CAT back" system, with OE looks and sound, for just under £500...

Was that for a S/S system Norman ?