Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX Hybrid engine.

Hi, can anyone advise....Interested to know how the hybrid engine on the NX compares with fuel economy and performance compared with diesel engines the same size as the 2.5 litre petrol, official figures vary around 42mpg, and with government legislation proposing a ban on diesel engines by 2040, (Which i doubt will happen) makes the hybrid engine an attactive choice, and good for the environment with low emissions must be a positive way forward for the future of car engines...... 

Based on the new economy measurement system (WLTP), the NX is rated at 35 to 40 combined mpg - depending on the grade. These figures seem to be accurate to what owners achieve.

A diesel will have better economy at higher speed (e.g. motorway) and the hybrid the opposite.

With all hybrids the weather and style of driving can affect the economy dramatically. With my RX450 at this time of year I am averaging tankful to tankful just over 30mpg. That includes a lot of motorway and cross country driving. In the summer more like 35mpg.If you view Lexus hybrid driving technique video on YouTube you will learn a lot. 

My 2015 GS300h was fabulous on fuel. A trip from Gloucester to London last April recorded 52mpg. An NX driven sensibly ought to achieve mid 30s. 

Hi David. There's a long thread on fuel economy here.

Over 35K, mine is averaging around 41 mpg. I would be surprised if many diesel X3/Q5/GLC owners are getting more than this in mixed driving.

• 7 months later...

Just had my 2014 NX for about one month during summer. Having owned a hybrid Auris 2016 avg 53mpg, Prius 2018 avg 65mpg, I consider myself a gentle reasonable good hybrid aware driver. I try to accelerate gently without trying to annoy other drivers and try to anticipate in advance the road ahead to perform as much braking with the electric motors as possible.

The NX is a large heavy SUV and I was never expecting Prius mileage. So far in summer I'm getting 35-40mpg around town with some short motorway trips. I just completed a long motorway drive to Cornwall from South Wales and averaged 41mpg. 

NX is about luxury cruising. I find if you put you foot down the mpg falls dramatically. Drive sensibly and enjoy the comfort:)

• Like 4

There are many factors to consider. External temperature, style of driving, the types of roads you travel on, traffic, hills.
Hybrids are ideal for short journeys, heavy traffic, urban and B roads and relatively flat terrain.

If you do a lot of motorway miles, drive longer journeys over a mix of terrain or have a heavy foot, you are better off with a diesel economy-wise.

That said, you then need to consider whether you are happy driving a diesel or whether you prefer a petrol/hybrid.

I drive up to 30k miles per year. Running costs are not one of my priorities and I like Lexus as a brand, its image and the design, comfort and reliability of its models. Having said this, if economy was my top priority, the latest generation diesel engines are excellent. And if anyone says they sound, vibrate and behave like tractors, this is an old fashioned view and you have not driven one of the latest diesel cars.

I can't really comment on pollution and emissions, because I don't know enough about it, but again diesel cars have moved on.

One final note: don't consider a diesel if you only do short journeys: you will not only ruin your engine and DPF but also pollute more than you would in a petrol, let alone a hybrid car, simply because a diesel engine takes much longer to reach its ideal operating temperature. A lot of people on the Isle of Wight and in the Channel Islands have learnt this at their expense.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have done 500 miles in my new NX300h, so far 41 mpg - mix of motorway and stop start round town.  In my old Avensis 1.8 I would have got slightly better than 41 on the motorway but way lower - more like 23mpg - round town. 

2 hours ago, James W said:

I have done 500 miles in my new NX300h, so far 41 mpg - mix of motorway and stop start round town.  In my old Avensis 1.8 I would have got slightly better than 41 on the motorway but way lower - more like 23mpg - round town. 

I have now done over 15000 miles and have done brim to brim fill up calculations from day one and therefore a mix of driving. Averaging in excess of 42mpg with a best of 46.3 and worst of 34.6. Recent journey of 400 miles has resulted in 45mpg. The winter period however certainly pushes the consumption up. 

Winter brings on many things that increase fuel consumption.
The engine runs longer to produce heat for the heater, water on the road increases rolling resistance, cold air being  more dense than warm air is harder to push through contains more oxygen so the fuel system injects more fuel, and the electrical load is greater with the use of heating fans, heated seats, heated rear window, more use of wipers, and longer hours of darkness requiring more lighting use.
All these things are powered by burning petrol the energy used comes from know where else.

John. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James W said:

I would have thought winter better as you won’t have the air con on? 

Best to leave air con on all year round James and merely adjust the temperature at which it operates.

This keeps all seals etc lubricated and does not allow them to dry out.

Use of air con has minimal effect on fuel consumption

• Like 1

Hi, keeping the air con on all of the time will help to prevent any bad smells from the system, when it is off there is small amounts of condensation left in the drain system and bacteria grows in this, causing the smell. Keep it on at all times and adjust the temp.

Ken   

Hybrid Engines are much cleaner than the latest diesels which may have lower CO these days but their Nox figures are excessive.

A Hybrid is fundamentally designed to give you the performance of a larger engine with the economy & clean emissions  of a smaller engine.

Volvo were the pioneers of Clean Diesels but are removing them from car production next year.

Always run my cars in for the first 500 miles & my 4 hybrids have all given smooth swift performance in Sport Mode.

In Sport + Mode I get c. 39 mpg which will fall by 10% in Winter.

Hybrids approaching 3 figure speeds fall to the mid 20's as does ascending the Alps.

Tel

• Like 1