Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2011 OEM Headlights from US seller

Hi all,

I have been chatting with a reputable US Lexus parts seller about a brand new set of OEM 2011+ headlights they are supplying as plug n play upgrade for 2006-2010.

https://ebay.us/tHjg7p - this is the eBay listing

He says he has sold 10 pairs to buyers in Australia and 2 pairs to buyers in the UK all without any bad feedback or complaints so he assumes all is good and plug n play as advertised.

I wonder if any of those buyers are members on here?? If so, please provide me with your feedback on this purchase.

My concern is buying headlights from the US and putting them onto my 2008 UK car:

Projectors as I understand it, are still directional and RHD and LHD versions exist. Will fitting these headlights from the US to my UK car blind on coming drivers? Can anyone clear this up for me? The seller says he was unaware that projector headlights are RHD/LHD as he had not heard anything back from those UK or Aus buyers.

Does anyone have access to OEM part numbers? The part numbers he is supplying are: 81145-53544 & 81185-53544, can anyone check the UK parts database to see if the numbers are the same? If they are different, I will not buy of course.

I REALLY want to upgrade to these headlights, have done ever since I bought the car, will make so much difference.

Many thanks for help in advance.

Billy

Hi mate. I would be interested too but always been very reluctant as I have AFS which with the later headlights would make the like come on the dash. 

Put your VIN into Toyodiy.com. See what it tells you. 

Yeh I am prepared to lose the AFS and put up with the light too. Might end up getting the cluster our of the dash to remove the bulb seen as it becomes non-functional anyway.

Putting my VIN into Toyodiy.com won't help I dont think? As it will just list parts for my 2008 car and I want to verify part numbers for the later 2011+ cars.

He said that yes the AFS light will flash but AFS will still be working.

so I guess I can remove the LED from the instrument cluster?

im not fussed about losing the left/right auto movement going around corners (although it’s a cool feature) but up n down self levelling is an MOT requirement so that has to work.

11 hours ago, Billnick said:

Projectors as I understand it, are still directional and RHD and LHD versions exist. Will fitting these headlights from the US to my UK car blind on coming drivers?

We drive on the left, they drive on the right - I think you've answered your own question there.

The seller probably hasn't heard anything because the cost to post back may put the buyers off from returning them.

I know, clutching at straws aren’t I....

I was hoping one of the UK or Aus buyers would pop up n give me some kind of good news.

Would be just as difficult to sell them back to US also.

Id really like to find out the part numbers according to the UK database. This would be confirmation and I’d be able to sleep again at night lol

So what exactly does AFS do for us?

Self levelling on startup + left/right when going around corners on the road.

If 2011+ cars don't have AFS, they must still have self levelling else they would all fail the MOT right?

If I lose the left and right but still pass the MOT then that's enough for me - so long as I can get the warning like removed from the instrument cluster.

Still, this is all in hindsight as I am 99% sure the US lights wont be any good.

Think I will just go back to the plan of painting my chrome inserts black.

20 hours ago, Billnick said:

Projectors as I understand it, are still directional and RHD and LHD versions exist. Will fitting these headlights from the US to my UK car blind on coming drivers? Can anyone clear this up for me? The seller says he was unaware that projector headlights are RHD/LHD as he had not heard anything back from those UK or Aus buyers.

No they won't - the car will be technically non-compliant, but Lexus has "flat beam" headlights as such the cars with LHD can go into Europe without reflector stickers - the light pattern doesn't kink-up in either side. You headlights will still be opposite from what RHD are, but in tis particular case it does not matter. See below:

Image result for flat beam headlights pattern

But those steps shown in the top diagram will be the opposite direction to how they are now with my UK headlights right?

Perhaps those buyers in UK & Aus having not had HIDs before would not have noticed they are the wrong way around and like you say, not blinded oncoming drivers?

Do you think an MOT tester would tell they are non-compliant?

In terms of MOT testers - I doubt they would be able to tell, the beam will stay flat and it doesn't blind drivers, it should not be detected on sensors in MOT center either. I mean cars with fake HIDs blinding like hell passes MOTs, so I cannot see you being failed because of that. However, do not quote me on that - the only way to know is to ask MOT technician or try passing MOT.

If you are replacing HID headlamps you may pass the MoT (but the teater will be able to tell - the machine they put in front of the headlights and squint down shows a detailed beam pattern). If the beam pattern is acceptable, you'll pass - if not, you'll fail (and they are very strict on beam pattern these days) If you are replacing halogen headlights you may or may not fail - mine failed with HID bulbs on the basis that it had a manual levelling switch (and therefore had halogen headlamps).

You can tell them you've replaced your headlights and show them the receipt. But it will show you bought them in USA.........

Aside from failing an MOT, I will also have my own OCD to contend with knowing the steps in the beam are the wrong way around lol

I am going to experiment with painting my the chrome inserts on my existing factory units.

Does anyone have any broken headlights laying around? Broken glass, broken tabs all acceptable as all I want is the chrome insert to experiment with a few paint jobs.

I assume the glass and the chrome inserts are identical whether HID or Halogen?

Ta