Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2005 RX400H MOT Worn Bush Advisories

Hi

My dad's looking at a 400H tomorrow, all seems pretty decent although the last MOT listed the following advisories:-

• Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))

I don't know much about the RX400H, would anyone be able to give me an idea of the cost of these repairs/replacement?

Anything else to look out for when going over the vehicle tomorrow?

Thanks

1 hour ago, baviaannl said:

Hi

My dad's looking at a 400H tomorrow, all seems pretty decent although the last MOT listed the following advisories:-

• Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))

I don't know much about the RX400H, would anyone be able to give me an idea of the cost of these repairs/replacement?

Anything else to look out for when going over the vehicle tomorrow?

Thanks

There's another current thread about this right now. I bought mine about a year ago with a new MOT and advisories the same as yours.  When the MOT was retested a year later, both needed replacement.  Turns out that the cost is much higher than I expected - budget at £1000 to £1500 to replace both.  

9 hours ago, welland said:

There's another current thread about this right now. I bought mine about a year ago with a new MOT and advisories the same as yours.  When the MOT was retested a year later, both needed replacement.  Turns out that the cost is much higher than I expected - budget at £1000 to £1500 to replace both.  

Was that through Lexus or an independent?

Here is an extract from the Workshop Manual on line. The first instruction from it says "REMOVE ENGINE ASSEMBLY WITH TRANSAXLE" It is possible to do it without but not easy as there is a bolt on the drivers side that is trapped in by the engine mount and it's very long.

Suspension Lower Arm.jpg

• Like 2

My mechanic did it with the engine in situ, jacked up as high as it could go on the upper mounts and the subframe on the last few mm of thread. That gave just enough room to wiggle the lower engine mounts out with a bit of effort so the arm mounting bolts can be undone. 

Got to love Lexus packaging. NOT!

Designed a little better it could have made the job tons easier. 

3 hours ago, Delphius1 said:

My mechanic did it with the engine in situ, jacked up as high as it could go on the upper mounts and the subframe on the last few mm of thread. That gave just enough room to wiggle the lower engine mounts out with a bit of effort so the arm mounting bolts can be undone. 

Got to love Lexus packaging. NOT!

Designed a little better it could have made the job tons easier. 

Yeah, all because of one oversized screw!!  Surely there were alternative options available!

I got my 1 year ago with the car already 8 years old. I change the 2 front abosorber strut when notice some oil stain with the third party’s OEM which is very cheap as compare to original from Lexus. At the same time notice the right lower arm bush was gone and I just ask my machanic to change it with the original Toyota lower with the third party stablizer link. Both cost me around less than $200. The work is pretty simple. jack up the car and remove the Axle joint and the absorber and hammer it out. Less than 15 minutes.  Now I am going to change my real both absorbe strut with the third party made. It seem my front work so far so good after a year with more than 50000km on road. 

By the way I only manage to clock the most 10.3l/100km with Drive in City and highway with the speed at 80-90km/h.  If fully in highway with the speed at 140km/h to 190km/h it would be at 13.5l/100km.