Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Residual values

9 hours ago, Dixgas said:

Had a 2nd service on my GS last month, it included oil, brake, coolant change and all 4 brakes stripped cleaned and greased,

Coolant should only be inspected. It doesn't need to be changed until 100,000 miles initially and then every 60,000 miles afterwards.

22 hours ago, rayaans said:

The UX300e has been trademarked so I suspect it'll be the first Lexus EV coming next year

Thats good to hear, IS will be 5 years old than, wife normally replace her cars at 7 years so if its good she might be tempted to swap earlier.

Will be interesting how residuals are at 7 years, don't think it'll beat her old Civic. Bought for £13500, 100K and 7 years later sold for £4500 within 48hrs of advert going up.

For the IS to hit same % residuals will need to achieve £11k for it in 2022, whos knows if diesels do start getting banned from city centres.....

14 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Coolant should only be inspected. It doesn't need to be changed until 100,000 miles initially and then every 60,000 miles afterwards.

You're correct,  my mistake the coolant was not changed, but on reading the schedule more closely it would appear they changed the rear dif. oil, that's a first.

9 minutes ago, Dixgas said:

You're correct,  my mistake the coolant was not changed, but on reading the schedule more closely it would appear they changed the rear dif. oil, that's a first.

My IS 300h service history says it has had the diff oil changes every 20K miles from new - so 3 times now as it's just over £70K miles.

I've had my IS 300h a year now and hadn't noticed the diff oil change every 20k miles. That's most unusual for modern cars. My previous posh car was a Jag. xj8 and on that the auto transmission and diff were both "filled for life" which I wasn't all that happy about although I have to say that it was 20 years old when I sold it with not a hint of any problem from those components. This and the  10k mile service interval suggest that Lexus prioritise maintenance over long service intervals which suits me fine.

18 minutes ago, reeac said:

I've had my IS 300h a year now and hadn't noticed the diff oil change every 20k miles. That's most unusual for modern cars. My previous posh car was a Jag. xj8 and on that the auto transmission and diff were both "filled for life" which I wasn't all that happy about although I have to say that it was 20 years old when I sold it with not a hint of any problem from those components. This and the  10k mile service interval suggest that Lexus prioritise maintenance over long service intervals which suits me fine.

The 20K mile service schedule on the Lexus website says check and change as necessary the diff oil. On the My Lexus schedule of work done for my car it lists differential oil against every 20K service - for example this is the listing at 60K miles - so appears in the same list as other oil and fluids - whether they actually change it I couldn't say though!!!: 

Mileage - 60428
Details - Full 60,000 mile/6 yr, Consumables,Differential oil,Environmental charge,Brake cleaner,(EO) ENGINE OIL, ELEMENT, AIR RE,BATTERY,TRANS,SPARK PLUG,ELEMENT KIT, OI,GSKT,DRAIN PLUG,Screenwash,Brake Fluid,

• 1 month later...

I cannot help but keep an eye on IS300H residuals as the temptation to swap out of it is strong and my wife has been softening her position on keeping the IS.

For fun I clicked on a random RAC link I saw, £20k seems to be suggested value. If ture, factor in the £34K we paid brand new, thats a deprecation rate of just £290/month over 4 years!!! 

Clearly sale price is different from suggested price, but never the less very happy with how the IS residuals are holding up - I hope Toyota/Lexus keeps going with their 'Self charging hyrbid' ad campaign 🙂

47528118952_3b48cc573a_b.jpg

I've just traded my IS and got top book against a new car.  Range of pricing from dealers was huge though, over £6.5k from lowest to highest.  Pays to shop around, I did the final deal over the internet/phone with a dealer 180m away.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Funkyboy said:

What did the likes of we buy anycar quote as that is the price you would likely get at trade in 

WBAC was lowest, by a country mile.  Pretty derisory offer really.  I had no intention of using it, but it gave an indication.  To be fair though, all the dealers offered more than WBAC.  I also had searched what Lexus dealers were displaying as sticker prices for similar age/mileage cars as approved used cars, so you have an idea what kind of margin is in it for them. They need to make a profit, but some were extracting the michael somewhat. As I said pays to shop around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve44 said:

I've just traded my IS and got top book against a new car.  Range of pricing from dealers was huge though, over £6.5k from lowest to highest.  Pays to shop around, I did the final deal over the internet/phone with a dealer 180m away.

Good to know. We'll probably sell private, been Premier spec + safety pack (adaptive cruise control/blind spot monitoring), £10/VED, I hope it wouldn't be too hard to shift.

Hopefully price will stick solid come when we sell in 6-12months time. 

We were really luckily to pick the IS over a XF diesel back in 2015. My parents will be in the ULEZ when its expanded to the A406 in a few years. I can imagine prices on non-Euro 6 diesels plummeting, especially when you add in the prospect of other cities doing ULEZ zones, problems with ageing DPF/turbos etc!!!

4 hours ago, ganzoom said:

I cannot help but keep an eye on IS300H residuals as the temptation to swap out of it is strong and my wife has been softening her position on keeping the IS.

For fun I clicked on a random RAC link I saw, £20k seems to be suggested value. If ture, factor in the £34K we paid brand new, thats a deprecation rate of just £290/month over 4 years!!! 

Clearly sale price is different from suggested price, but never the less very happy with how the IS residuals are holding up - I hope Toyota/Lexus keeps going with their 'Self charging hyrbid' ad campaign 🙂

47528118952_3b48cc573a_b.jpg

What did the likes of we buy any car value it as that is what you would likely get as a px

FACT..............  just had a meeting with some proper finance guys and they are telling me that the buying public is dumping finance deals on new cars and beginning to see the value of staying with 2nd hand cars, trading up but changing into other 2nd hand cars too .......  brand new car sales are slipping right now

Malc

2 hours ago, Funkyboy said:

What did the likes of we buy any car value it as that is what you would likely get as a px

WBAC says £16k, which is £370/month in depreciation over 4 years, still pretty good going for a saloon when everyone wants a SUV.

Closer to time of sale I'll have another look, but am likely to try private first. Sold our last 3 cars privately and all for a good amount more than what WBAC offered.

If we can get £15k for the IS come April 2020 I would be ecstatic, closer to £13k I recon in another 12 months.

• 5 months later...

I entered a PCP on my IS300h Advance in 2016. List was 31k, I put £4K into the deal on 20k miles per annum. A different perspective on PCPs is they always say do not “mortgage” miles. I ended up doing way less mileage. Lifetime of the lease was 42 months at £398 a month which the car allowance pays for. Signed up to an ES300h F Sport Takumi in April this year and the trade in value of my IS was £19,500 at 33k miles (was expecting the mileage to be 60-65k by this time). Additionally, I only lost £20.00 of my initial £4K deposit. Having waited for the ES to land which should have been July, but is now September, as the finance deal goes, I have still only lost £20.00 on the initial deposit, The IS is now at 40k miles, and valued at £14k. Being as the IS is being upgraded to the ES, I see this as a £20.00 loss over 3 years given the PCP is covered by my car allowance; that said, depreciation has been £17k from list over the 3 years - £5,666 annually - £472.00 monthly, and for me hasn’t made it a problem over the term of the lease. If I wasn’t on car allowance then I would think differently especially if I was looking at keeping the IS and paying the GFMV at the end of the term. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the IS on the forecourt for around £18 - 19k.

According to WBAC our 2015 IS premiere is now worth £18.7k, thats more than what they quoted a few months ago!!

Works out as £280/month even by lowly WBAC offers. Quite astonishing residuals for a small saloon, which for all intent and purposes are not fashionable at the moment compared to SUVs.

14 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

According to WBAC our 2015 IS premiere is now worth £18.7k, thats more than what they quoted a few months ago!!

Works out as £280/month even by lowly WBAC offers. Quite astonishing residuals for a small saloon, which for all intent and purposes are not fashionable at the moment compared to SUVs.

I was also looking recently as I purchased my IS second hand at 2 years old with 40K miles nearly 3 years ago from a Lexus dealer. Comparing list price of the car I purchased (on the forecourt - I did get some negotiated off of course) with one the same age and mileage as mine now has on the clock (79,500) on the used Lexus website I just worked out it has only gone down £3,500 in forecourt value in that 3 years. So depreciation of just over £1,000 per annum from a 2 year old to a 5 year old car. Really can't complain at that. I appreciate I would lose a bit more than that if I trade it in of course at a dealer or sell privately but as a like for like comparison found it interesting.

• Like 1

I bought my IS300h about 18 months ago with 59,000 miles on it and paid 14k.
Today it has 121,000 miles on it and looking at eBay/auto trader and wbac the general opinion is a value of 10k, which I think is excellent as it works out at £222 per month

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

Today it has 121,000 miles on it and looking at eBay/auto trader and wbac the general opinion is a value of 10k, which I think is excellent as it works out at £222 per month

Or even better £4k depreciation for doing 60k is only 7p per mile depreciation!! That's unbelievable strong residuals value, and shows just how useless the GFV number is for current new car PCP offers.

9 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 64 IS300 h , with only 45,000 , so mine should be valued at well over £11,000 . Might get a quote today . You do a lot of mileage??!! 

I have a 64 IS300 h , with only 45,000 , so mine should be valued at well over £11,000 . Might get a quote today . You do a lot of mileage??!! 

Mine is used as a taxi, hence the mega mileage.
I’ll trade it in at about 200/250,000 miles

8 minutes ago, Jayw13702 said:

Mine is used as a taxi, hence the mega mileage.
I’ll trade it in at about 200/250,000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That explains it ! I get nervous with any car I have getting any where near 100 K , probably unnecessary I know ! 

That explains it ! I get nervous with any car I have getting any where near 100 K , probably unnecessary I know ! 

Mines giving me as good mpg now as it was at 60k, and from my experience of the Prius it will only lose about 5% at 200k

But also the car still feels tight as well, no rattles or squeaks and the interior is standing up well to the punishment of taxi work

19 hours ago, ganzoom said:

We sold our Leaf in July, after my previous post earlier in this thread. 

7th Nov 2017 , 2.5 years old 13300 miles, paid £11k (£3800 up front, £7200 3 years 0% HP), and included 2 years warranty, 2 years servicing. 

July 2019, 4 years old, 25500 miles, sold to a dealer for £10650. WBAC was £10500. 

2.8p/mile, or £18.40 per month depreciation. I was pretty pleased with that. 

I'm sure over time we'll lose a bunch on the Model 3, but it's too awesome to care...

• Like 1