Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check VSC, eml and traction light came on just after getting headlights changed by the garage

Hi guys. A lexus i was using needed headlight changed, so i took it to a garage. As you lot might be aware, the lights on IS220d are not easily accessible and alot of parts in the bonnet had to be removed in order to gain access. Soon as i drove out of that garage i noticed that Engine light, traction light and a Red triange were illuminated and the display said "Check VSC". I took it right back into the garage, told them but they taking no responsibility said VSC is to do with ABS and traction and has nothing to do with the job they had done. As it came on right after headlights were changed, thre may not ne an actual fault and the lights could have been triggered perhaps by wiring or parts involved when changing the headlight. As i was driving home, the car also struggled to reach a speed, similar to limp mode my bmw goes into.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem or have suggestions as to what should be done?

IMG_20190118_155859.jpg

They have to take responsibility if it happened after the work they have done, if they won't consider legal action.

Otherwise for headlight change is not that many parts which needs to come off, only the bumper and the cover under the bonnet. I assume they have disconnected the Battery for work which has caused ECU/BCU to re-check all the faults. Is there any way faults were cleared in the past, so they popped out after they reconnected the Battery?

Otherwise they might have changed the headlight without disconnecting the Battery and fried something, anyhow I cannot see how headlight change could have caused VSC light.

Finally - if you sure that there are nothing wrong with the car I would suggest to clear the faults (get the garage you used for headlight to pay for it if they cannot do it themselves).

image.thumb.png.43ac3d4a0c7cf364b40a7f6bcb7c5c1c.png

An ignorant and incompetent garage. VSC light is effectively vehicle management. If it was an IS250 I would suggest that they had left the MAF cable undone. Could be similar on 220D.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, WetMyBeak said:

I took my drivers side headlight bulb to be changed at Halfords. Managed to knock off a pipe connected to the air filter and had EML light, traction light and reduced power shortly after.

I presume getting the pipe connected again resolved the issue?

My suggestion above was based on assumption, they actually put everything back together, but as pointed out above some sensor wire hanging in the engine bay can easily be the case of the fault.

I am not sure about IS220d, but as mentioned on IS250 there is MAF connect going to the pipe near air filter box, one would normally disconnect it when changing bulbs as the airbox has to come out. Considering they were replacing whole headlight and not a bulb, airbox doesn't even need to come out, so have no clue why would they have anything disconnected

12 hours ago, Fearerofone said:

I presume getting the pipe connected again resolved the issue?

Yes, problem was solved. I was in a rush so didn’t really ask for a full explanation on what pipe was disconnected. I had a quick look around before I took it in and the MAF sensor was plugged in correctly and main air box hose thing with jubilee clip was also connected. 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It turned out that the negligent buggers at Riteway Autocare in Glasgow hadn't plugged the Air Mass Flow Filter back in, due to which the car wouldn't gain or sustain speed. The instict of these garages was that Traction/ABS has nothing to do with headlight

They are right "Traction/ABS has nothing to do with headlight" but when they have been under the bonnet doing major parts removal, dis-connecting electrical connections, and fail to completely replace them all then This shows the level of competence no matter how many correct statements they come up with!

Paul m.

And there again, VSC has only a little to do with traction control and ABS - a fault there will show up 'Check VSC' but so will almost any other fault in any of the IS systems. It's very much a 'catch all'.