Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All

New to the forum and based in South Africa.

I'm looking to get into the Lexus club, and have 2 options from a dealer, and both are similarly priced.

Option 1: 2009, LS460, 55,000miles

Option 2: 2013, GS350, 90,000miles

I would love to get the LS460. The low milage and extras appeal to me, however, I am concerned about things going wrong and cost of repairs. I current drive a Merc c350 which has started giving me engine problems at 90,000miles, and don't want to make the same mistake.

The GS is a more practical option and dealer will throw in a warranty with it as well.

What are your thoughts on things I should consider (from reliability and cost of ownership).

My intention is to keep the car for about 5 to 7 years.

Thanks!!!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

@jake430 the concern is not that there is a repair bill.....but obviosuly the quantum of the repair bill. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I try and buy cars that are older, still look reasonable and last a long time.

I'm trying to find out whether either of these two have a clear cost benefit advantage over the other, as well as compared to my current car.

Mercs don't age well these days. I believe Lexus do much better. Having said that, just look at a post come in today about the LS460 issues.

A bit of searching will give you a list of known/common issues of both cars. Age associated problems are of most concern when buying an older car as they are unrelated to mileage - in fact, in my opinion, extra low mileage isn't always a good thing in this context.

If a car is prone to rust associated issues then stay away from it.

Hi All

New to the forum and based in South Africa.

I'm looking to get into the Lexus club, and have 2 options from a dealer, and both are similarly priced.

Option 2: 2013, GS350, 90,000miles

I would love to get the LS460. The low milage and extras appeal to me, however, I am concerned about things going wrong and cost of repairs. I current drive a Merc c350 which has started giving me engine problems at 90,000miles, and don't want to make the same mistake.

The GS is a more practical option and dealer will throw in a warranty with it as well.

What are your thoughts on things I should consider (from reliability and cost of ownership).

My intention is to keep the car for about 5 to 7 years.

Thanks!!!

Update

Decided to go for the LS......but deal includes a 2 year warranty.....just in case!

Looking forward to taking delivery. Hopefully by next week!

Will post pics once car arrives.

Thanks for the help and advice! Looking forward to it!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shaheedm said:

Update

Decided to go for the LS......but deal includes a 2 year warranty.....just in case!

Looking forward to taking delivery. Hopefully by next week!

Will post pics once car arrives.

Thanks for the help and advice! Looking forward to it!

Congratulations on your decision, looking forward to the photos!

On 1/18/2019 at 8:41 PM, shaheedm said:

at this age I feel you should consider, very seriously, having the radiator pipework issue sorted .  ...........see the other posts on this specifically

Malc

at this age I feel you should consider, very seriously, having the radiator pipework issue sorted .  ...........see the other posts on this specifically
Malc
Thanks for advice. Will look into it.