Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brakes - Advise me please

Took NX in for its service and was told that front and rear pads and discs are down to 5mm and will need changing in 6 months.

Was quoted £450 for front and £400 for rear (rounded up). 

My question is this seems a bit pricey.  On the other hand its an 200t, weighs 2 tonnes and does shift in sports mode. Stopping this thing is important and not something I want to skimp on.

Does the price sound right?  Should I go 3rd party? Do Lexus make their own pads and discs or buy them in?

I know nothing about parts though from googling, there are a lot of different quality brake parts which makes it a minefield.  What I do want is to be able to stop safely and confidently.

Thanks 

Discs and pads even when purchased from lexus are not massively expensive. The majority of the cost with brakes is the fixed labour cost they attach to them which is where they make their money. You can pretty much do discs and pads on most cars in an hour or but they will charge a couple of hours for each.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So would I be better off going to an independent and saving on labour costs? 
If you know someone that can do it I would. Personally I just do things like that myself as it's quite straightforward. You don't have to go for lexus supplied brakes. Check about as you can get upgraded discs and pads at very good prices.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pads are normally 12mm new, and ideally should be replaced when down to 2mm. At 5mm you still have quite a bit of life. The dealer is probably mentioning it because they don't think they will last 10k miles before they see you again but you don't have to get them done straight away.

I'd also question if the discs need replacing. They should last two or three sets of pads so maybe the dealer is trying it on.

The fronts were 15mm and the rears at 12mm.

I have seen some other brands online and are about £170 for fronts and £150 for rear, both sets are 15mm.  

Its not that much but I wondered if its worth getting slotted ones or upgraded ones at this price?

I wouldn't put unsafe parts on the car or anything that would void the warranty but I thought it may be an opportunity to put something better on.

Does anyone know what Lexus in the UK charges for labour?  Im estimating about £170 for parts (front) and about £280 for labour.  Also how long to change discs and pads?

I would call easily reachable dealers in your area for cost of parts, as I found they can be significantly different. 

On my old lexus is200 I brought the brakes from the dealer and all my local garages charged between £30-£35 to replace it, can't remember the cost of disc replacement. 

• 7 months later...

So I had my local independent look at the brakes.

Replaced 1 set of rotors and both front and rear pads with textar pads for a third of the cost that Lexus quoted me.

Lexus HQ technical confirmed that they buy textas pads and re badge them.

They did wind back the brakes but even so, every now and then when I reverse, there is a click.  Any ideas?

On 8/31/2019 at 11:18 AM, Sybaris said:

So I had my local independent look at the brakes.

Replaced 1 set of rotors and both front and rear pads with textar pads for a third of the cost that Lexus quoted me.

Lexus HQ technical confirmed that they buy textas pads and re badge them.

They did wind back the brakes but even so, every now and then when I reverse, there is a click.  Any ideas?

Take it back to the garage that fitted them. 

Are you sure the parts are the same quality as the originals?

I had Lexus Cheltenham replace front discs and pads for £297 with Gold discount.