Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Immobiliser switch.... is it possible??

Hi all,

Just thinking out loud before I collect my IS on Friday.....

Is there a way, or has anybody implemented a hidden switch to cut out the fuel pump... or better still cut out a low current feed to somewhere to prevent starting of the car?

I'm aware that modern day canbus systems may make this less achievable but has anyone done it?

Obviously I'm NOT asking for your switch location but can I implement something through the OBD port or Fusebox or even Gearbox?

I know my away around wiring and even doing things down to component level on PCBs, its part of my job but being steered in the right direction will be a great help as I'm guessing that wiring diagrams aren't readily available.

Perhaps I'm being over cautious but, with all the issues with RFID scanning etc, it seems that a good old fashioned switch, hidden away, will only help.

I have done this on previous cars I've owned for peace of mind and I'm also going 'old skool' with a steering wheel lock as a visual deterrant for the IS.

Thoughts please .

Thank you in advance, Lee 😊

+1 for a steering lock!

As the old saying goes, prevention is better than cure. A kill switch, immobiliser or tracker only come into play once the scrotes are already in your pride and joy, but having a big yellow steering lock on that is visible from outside will hopefully make them think it's not worth the hassle and move to an easier target somewhere else.

I use a Stoplock Pro Elite and in test reviews it took more than five minutes using hammers, chisels and saws to defeat it. The value is not in the steering lock itself but in the visible deterrent it provides.

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I did look into a ghost system or similar but I still reckon a hidden kill switch is right up there. The one I fitted in my old 3 series was completely hidden... not even visible unless you decided to start removing the interior! 

I know I'm probably paranoid but I've never spent this much on a car before and I'd rather it be there every morning when I wake up lol 

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

+1 for a steering lock!

I use a Stoplock Pro Elite and in test reviews it took more than five minutes using hammers, chisels and saws to defeat it. The value is not in the steering lock itself but in the visible deterrent it provides.

Out of interest.. how well does the Elite fit? I just popped down to my local Hal'frauds' and looked at the Pro and the Pro Elite and the Elite looks so much deeper on the bend... but at lot more substantial for negligible extra cost.

Thanks

3 hours ago, pikko said:

Out of interest.. how well does the Elite fit? I just popped down to my local Hal'frauds' and looked at the Pro and the Pro Elite and the Elite looks so much deeper on the bend... but at lot more substantial for negligible extra cost.

Thanks

Not pretty but a good deterrent  :thumbsup:

IMG_20190120_193536.thumb.jpg.8ba40e46c7efb21d12c03dda75dac1e3.jpg

IMG_20190120_193557.thumb.jpg.201fdf354f1e0262921084406fbaace3.jpg

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Herbie said:

The lock end looks quite chunky. How well does it fit the wheel for the IS and does it leave any marks or indentations?

19 minutes ago, Pink said:

How well does it fit the wheel for the IS

I have no idea because I've got an RX450h

19 minutes ago, Pink said:

does it leave any marks or indentations

No, it doesn't.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Herbie said:

28 minutes ago, Pink said:

The lock end looks quite chunky. How does it fit the wheel for the IS and does it leave any marks or indentations?

Thanks Herbie,  that's made my mind up 👍

It's not as chunky as it looks. There's quite a big radius on the locking bars. I took both options out of the boxes for a proper nosey and the Elite, although bigger, really does seem way more substantial. It really is 'in your face' too huh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1