Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys. Obviously - the handbrake light comes on with the handbrake..and it also comes on when the pads are low. But is it used for anything else? Fluid level? Blown brake bulbs?

Mine seemed to come on due to the rear pads running low. I changed them but it's still on.  When I get in the car it's either on already or it comes on the instant I press the brake pedal. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Sound like the brake wear sensor itself.

As the pads get thin it rubs away the sensor exposing the connector to make the metal to metal circuit that trips the light.

The sensor is finished at this stage. 

Replacing the sensor will fix this.

26 minutes ago, Tinonline said:

Sound like the brake wear sensor itself.

As the pads get thin it rubs away the sensor exposing the connector to make the metal to metal circuit that trips the light.

The sensor is finished at this stage. 

Replacing the sensor will fix this.

That would be my guess. The sensors aren't cheap though, about £70 each at ECP, although you may be able to use their discount code.

• Like 1

I didn't have the nerve to try the very cheap ones you can pick up - they are probably ok. 

Mine was a branded one, Pagid I think for around £40. 

If you get to your pads in time you don't need to replace them...🙂

A few folk do too much work around removing them and not replacing and rigging the circuit to remove the light...

They're a useful function and worth having.

17 minutes ago, Tinonline said:

I didn't have the nerve to try the very cheap ones you can pick up - they are probably ok. 

Mine was a branded one, Pagid I think for around £40. 

If you get to your pads in time you don't need to replace them...🙂

A few folk do too much work around removing them and not replacing and rigging the circuit to remove the light...

They're a useful function and worth having.

Quite right, they're there for a purpose so I'd want to keep them as they should be. Personally I think it should be an MOT fail when the wires are joined.

• Like 1

my hand brake / foot brake padle is bit dodgy. I have to put my foot behind it and pull it to turn light off.

so when i release brake, light stays on but i put foot behind it and pull padle up and light goes off.

4 hours ago, katana92_uk said:

my hand brake / foot brake padle is bit dodgy. I have to put my foot behind it and pull it to turn light off.

so when i release brake, light stays on but i put foot behind it and pull padle up and light goes off.

Give the pedal bushes and switch a squirt of WD40 or something similar.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links