Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement 12v battery for RX450h

Hi

Have just asked Lexus Cardiff for the price of a replacement 12v Battery for my 2010 RX450h.

The original Battery is inside and Lexus service reception say that this should be replaced every 5-7years.

The price from Lexus Cardiff is £266.36 all inclusive, which I take to mean fitting as well.

Is this a good price for the Battery? Have over people used different replacements?

Thanks

2ddesign

I had my original Battery replaced just a few months ago.  My local independent did it for me £75 all inclusive with a 3 year guarantee.  The new Battery has a larger capacity than the one he removed.  I've had a rapport with this guy for fifteen years and he looks after me.

Hi steveledzep

Thank you for your reply! what a great price!

Do you have a special make Battery for the larger capacity and did you have to rest all the systems, eg radio, windows, seats etc?

Regards

2ddesign

1 hour ago, steveledzep said:

The new battery has a larger capacity than the one he removed

Do you have a make and model number for that please Steve?

5 minutes ago, 2ddesign said:

did you have to rest all the systems, eg radio, windows, seats etc?

If you have another 12V source you can connect that to the Battery cables before you undo the clamps and remove the Battery so that you don't have all the hassle of resetting anything.

Haven't a clue of the make and model, not on the paperwork either.  I just dropped it off in the morning and Stuart called me to collect later in the day.  Didn't have to re-set anything, as Herbs said they must have connected another 12v while they switched the batteries.

Google "Cross Tyres & Auto".  They're in Crosshands about 60 miles from Cardiff.  I've known Stuart a long time, don't expect a price like mine, but he'll slaughter the Lexus price I'm certain.  Let us know how you get on.

I had one replaced last year by Cheltenham Lexus and pretty sure it was way cheaper than Cardiff are quoting!!!  The Battery itself is around £150 (deep cycle leisure Battery from Panasonic).  Labour is all of 5 minutes so don't be fooled by that one.  £266 is daylight robbery.

Here's the same spec as the Lexus one from a different supplier which will do exactly the same job:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electrical-Power-Accessories/SuperBatt-Leisure-Battery-Caravan-Motorhome/B00WPZFAXK

Hi Paul

Thank you for your reply, contacted Lexus Bristol parts dept, who have one in stock and its £217.06 without fitting.

I will check out your link, still waiting for Cross Auto Tyres to get back to me..... where Steve had it done for £70.

Prices have obviously risen!  I double checked and I was slightly out as my Battery was £180, not £150. Even so, that seems a pretty large step cost wise to £217 for this year?

Personally, if mine goes again, I'll just buy one and fit it myself and save over £100.

5 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

I had one replaced last year by Cheltenham Lexus and pretty sure it was way cheaper than Cardiff are quoting!!!  The battery itself is around £150 (deep cycle leisure battery from Panasonic).  Labour is all of 5 minutes so don't be fooled by that one.  £266 is daylight robbery.

Here's the same spec as the Lexus one from a different supplier which will do exactly the same job:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electrical-Power-Accessories/SuperBatt-Leisure-Battery-Caravan-Motorhome/B00WPZFAXK

Cheltenham give great discount to gold club members. 

I have saved shed loads on servicing and parts over the past 2 years. 

Well worth supporting this site for the discounts alone 👍👍👍

• 11 months later...

Further to  the queries on Gen 3 12v batteries, ours has just failed and knowing my local Toyota dealer well I took it there.

They replaced it with a wet Numax Premium sealed Battery, £70 all in including washing the car.

When I queried the use of wet, they confirmed that most of the hybrids used to come with with standard wet batteries (vented) even if located inside the car and in fact that our car was fitted as such from new.

Food for thought when considering some of the exorbitant prices being quoted.

• 3 weeks later...

I was under the impression that the Battery in the RX450 is supposed to be an AGM or GEL Battery. The reason is to prevent spillage of acid into the passenger compartment in the event of a rollover event? That is why the dealer price is high, as these type of batteries are a lot more expensive than standard wet cells.

Does anyone have any definitive confirmation of this, as my 10 year old original Battery will probably need replacing in the very near future and I want to fit the correct type!

Was just about to say the same myself especially with hybrids and other cars that have stop start technology,most standard batteries are not up to the job,and the ones that are cost 2 to 3 times the price of standard ones 🤔

A lot af people just bought a normal Battery, like my brother in law, 75£ a bosch one. And its working just fine plus the panasonic old one was a wet Battery not a gel or agm.

I still have the original one and i will buy a bosch as well when i will need a new one.

9 hours ago, scudney said:

Was just about to say the same myself especially with hybrids and other cars that have stop start technology,most standard batteries are not up to the job,and the ones that are cost 2 to 3 times the price of standard ones 🤔

Hybrids have a totally different system as far as the stop start goes. The 12 volt Battery is not used in any way to start the engine so does not need to be of a high specification.
So called standard batteries are more than adequate.
The engine is started by the traction Battery when the car is stationary, and when the car is moving some of the kinetic energy from the movement of the car is used to start the engine with a little help from MG1 in the transmission.
If the car is in ready mode the 12 volt Battery is on constant charge from the traction Battery irrespective of if the engine is running or not. The only reason AGM batteries are used in many Toyota/Lexus hybrids is because they are often positioned in the cabin, and as the Battery has no free liquid acid it cannot spill or splash onto occupants if in a collision.
AGM batteries work on exactly the same chemical system as flooded batteries.

The real problem is that because the hybrids do not have a normal starter motor when the Battery is getting weak we do not hear the slow cranking associated with normal car starters. This is because the 12 volt Battery does not turn the engine over In turn we have no advanced warning of failure. The first thing we know is that after being parked for a few days or if we sit in the car for an hour listening to the radio it will not boot into ready mode.

John.

• Thanks 1

Of course one can always opt when the need arises for a genuine 12v replacement Battery with the knowledge that this will last and operate satisfactorily.  However, this comes at a price that can be considerably higher than other batteries that may serve quite satisfactorily.  Also, the need for replacement may arise when far from a Lexus dealer.  So it is useful to know what are really viable alternatives and whether an AGM Battery is needed or whether a deep discharge lead acid Battery will serve provided vented externally if located in boot where the Battery is in the 3rd Generation RX450h.  The Battery in my 5 series BMW is in the boot and it has drop down seats as does the RX but it is vented externally by a tube. So if this is done the gassing is taken care of. Would a deep discharge lead acid Battery suitably vented be satisfactory in the RX or is there a reason other than gassing that makes an AGM Battery a better choice?

It is normal that the AGM batteries fitted to Toyota/Lexus cars are vented via a rubber tube to the underside of the car. The great majority of flooded batteries are also fitted with a vent for this purpose. The amount of gas given off by the Battery depends on two main factors. Number one is the charge rate "the higher the charge rate the more the cells gas", and the second is the level of charge in the Battery. When the Battery is fully charged it will gas if the charge rate is more than a trickle.
The charging system on the hybrids is more sophisticated than the normal alternator. It even takes in information on Battery temperature, and is quite capable of charging flooded batteries, just as well as AGM. Not all hybrids are fitted with AGM batteries as OEM. The GS450H has a standard flooded Battery as OEM almost certainly because the Battery is in the boot well away from any passengers.

John.

Thank you for your comments John but I am not clear why in view of what you say what the advantage is in fitting AGM to some of our hybrids.  Would it be because they last longer or are superior in another way to the flooded deep discharge ones? 

• 1 year later...

I paid £250 for a replacement Battery on my 2011 LexusRX450h to Lexus Hatfield in April 2019, I now have a problem with it holding charge, so I called Lexus Hatfield who will check it over, but to my surprise and extreme annoyance I was told the the Battery had only a one year guarantee. Unfortunately I cannot find any batteries of comparable measurements to fit in the space. Any suggestions re other suppliers would be appreciated 

This is what I bought Raymond.  It's slightly shorter than the Battery tray and I had to pack out the top brace bar by about 10mm.  It's been working perfectly for me since January.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hankook-SA55020-063-Start-Stop-AGM-Car-Battery-5-Year-Warranty/254122603753?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

I have had several flat Battery instances. My breakdown customer has suggested getting a replacement, i have now decided to stop procrastinating !

i have the 3rd gen RX450H & after extensively looking found an identical ( albeit not the  Panasonic fitted ) The reference on the Battery 560 410 054, i have checked all the tech detail Length, Height, Width, Voltage, CCA, Base Hold down, terminal type. In fact it weight at 14.54 KG this is identical to the Lexus suppied one. This was the only one that fully matched the original spec, Several other companies recommended their batteries but they did differ in many areas.

Apprarantly is is made in the same German factory as Bosch batteries. Many of the sites selling it Euro Car Parts amazon etc confirm it is compatible for my  RX,. I have ordered at £73 from amazon including delivery.

Reading through some of the comments on other blogs Some people are not fans of Varta in their defence they confirm it matches Manufacturer Specifications, also it comes with a 3 year guarantee. I have looked all over for negative feedback on this Battery but cannot seem to find anything against it. 

The breakdown company are going to fit it FOC ( As you've probably gathered I am somewhat of a novice ! ) We'll see if its that easy !!

The Battery details are VARTA D47 BLUE DYNAMIC CAR Battery 560 410 054.

I have used Varta batteries in cars for many years and rate them highly and yes made along with Bosch as tied up with them now.  Varta will show the  Blue Dynamic battery if you enter your details.  However, this is NOT an AGM Battery as Lexus fitted for the RX450 with Battery under the rear hatch and therefore within the cabin.  The main reason for fitting an AGM Battery in this position is that if the the car is involved in an accident, acid remains in the glass matt rather than potentially spewing over occupants if Battery case is damaged.  Also, the Panasonic Battery is a deep cycle one.  It is VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid).   So you are not getting a like for like Battery to the Panasonic. There are other threads on Battery replacement on this form that make arguments for using a cheaper non alternative or an AGM one.  But car manufacturers and the Battery industry in general recommend your replacement 12v Battery should be the same type as originally fitted to the car. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2021 at 8:18 AM, steveledzep said:

This is what I bought Raymond.  It's slightly shorter than the battery tray and I had to pack out the top brace bar by about 10mm.  It's been working perfectly for me since January.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hankook-SA55020-063-Start-Stop-AGM-Car-Battery-5-Year-Warranty/254122603753?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Just the information I needed.  Even if it lasts two years it'll match what I've had from the OEM one.  A belated thankyou for posting the details.

• 9 months later...