Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello members

I've just purchased a 2003 pre face-lift LS430.

It's got early signs of rust on both doors and the boot door which is a common problem I believe.

So how can I stop it spreading.? An alternative way would be to just buy some doors but I can't afford that at this moment.

Is there some magic liquid or treatment for this that stop it spreading.

Thanks

7 hours ago, Abid221 said:

Hello members

It's got early signs of rust on both doors and the boot door which is a common problem I believe.

So how can I stop it spreading.? An alternative way would be to just buy some doors but I can't afford that at this moment.

Is there some magic liquid or treatment for this that stop it spreading.

Thanks

Can you post a photo of the rust?

Pics would be helpful. There are a few ways from home mechanic cheap stuff to the other end of the food chain and a few inbetween.

All depends on the extent of the rot and what to you is an acceptable repair at the right cost ?

Looking at the pics on the rear panel possiby a previous accident repair, on the doors a failure to sort paint chips out maybe.  I take you have given the underneath a good thorough going over as that is where the real expensive trouble can be ? Either get the paint sorted by a body shop or for me rub down and remove the rust spots and corrosion, clean and apply a decent rust inhibiter and then get a known smart repairer to blow the paint back on, should be hard to see the repair  if done properly. All that is well and good so long as the big girl is not going to give way big in the underbelly.

The door rust is fairly common and it depends on how deep its gone.  If it's still surface rust its not too bad to sort. It does look as though it has been allowed to spread somewhat.  I've not seen rust on the other area before so maybe, as has been suggested, it's due to previous damage.  Also take the advice about the undercarriage before putting effort into the body.

seems to me like relatively inconsequent issues for a 16 year old car :rolleyes:

Just tart it up a little so it looks ok and .........................  ENJOY

Malc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

seems to me like relatively inconsequent issues for a 16 year old car :rolleyes:

Just tart it up a little so it looks ok and .........................  ENJOY

Malc

True.. I think I might just do that.

However as a plan.. There's a guy selling 2 front doors from a 2004 model (which I think might be face-lift) including all the innards with the side mirrors and windows  for £100 per door.

My question is that will the 2 front face-lift doors fit a pre face-lift??

1 hour ago, Abid221 said:

True.. I think I might just do that.

However as a plan.. There's a guy selling 2 front doors from a 2004 model (which I think might be face-lift) including all the innards with the side mirrors and windows  for £100 per door.

My question is that will the 2 front face-lift doors fit a pre face-lift??

As far as I'm aware the doors are identical. It's just the nose and back end that were face-lifted.

Paul Frost might know for sure if the doors are identical.

Rustbusters of Spalding have an enormous amount of information on rust on their website.

Phosphoric acid is the most common rust converter but the rust will need to be mechanically removed and then the acid treated surface primed and painted,  not a simple task.

The doors rust where the plastic studs holding on both the upper and lower decorative horizontal strips pass through the steel skin of the door. To see how bad remove the inner door card which is not difficult if you watch videos on Youtube referring to door lock failure. You will want to inspect the rear doors as well. From your photos the rusting is bad.

The lower door strip comes away attached to the plastic panel which is secured by plastic studs and double sided foam tape and is not difficult to remove.

The common boot rust site is around the handle where the handle component 'rubs' against the boot panel. 

• Like 1

By handle I mean that which you grab hold of to raise the boot. It runs horizontally above the number plate and consists of the release switch to open the boot a key lock and perhaps a light to illuminate the number plate and perhaps the rear view camera.

On 1/23/2019 at 2:24 PM, Abid221 said:

so you bought the brilliant one you was speaking about prior ?

Malc

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

We would like to be chuffed with you so how about loads of photos?

It's not a UL model so it doesn't have air suspension, keyless entry and the cooler box. Nor does it have massage seats or reclining seats or window blinds except for the rear window. But it does have a Nokia Bluetooth system installed but I doubt I'll be using it.

It's got the standard keys.

I'm not fussed at not having these features as it's in amazing condition and most if not all of the features I listed I wouldnt have used.

I love having my cars with minimal modern features. I'm for sure more a person who loves attention to detail and quality.

Just can't upload pics for the life of me. Strangely I can only get the key pics to upload.

Screenshot_Firefox_20190129-225624.png

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links