Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking to buy an RX400h

Been lurking for a while but thought I'd throw this question at you. I need to get a new car (a different car as opposed to new!). I've got £6-7k to spend and been looking at getting an RX400h as I really like idea of a hybrid mixed with the fact they aren't a Juke/Qashqui/Mokka etc. For this sort of money it'll be an older, higher mileage model but I've seen quite a few with full Lexus service history etc so my question is, would you still buy an RX400h or would you buy a newer, lower mileage 'other' car if you were me? TIA for any advice.

Hi rr8178r Me and the wife where in a similar boat as you back in November.but we had a 2011 Lexus ct200 to part ex and had quite a few various Lexus's for many years previous anyway.i to was thinking on the lines of something more new like a juke and we test drove a diesel Qashqui.But the wife wanted to stay with lexus so we bought a 57 plate Rx400 with 89000miles on.in are eyes the Rx400 drives much better than a Quasqui.it all depends on what you are going to use it for as well.the wife uses the car the most and does the school run and using it back and for to work,always short journeys.its not going to be as economical as a juke/Qashqui we get around 260 miles to a tank but it's a different league to them as well,comfort/driving so fuel economy doesn't bother us.and like I said previously we may be slightly biased as we have had lexus before and they have always been 100% reliable but hope this helps 

• Like 2

Thank you for this, I keep looking at other models/makes but always come back to the Lexus. I do quite a few miles for one reason or another so it should be good as it isn't just fuel economy on longer journeys, it's comfort etc so what I'm probably asking is, could you please tell me to buy a Lexus! 

Thank you for this, I keep looking at other models/makes but always come back to the Lexus. I do quite a few miles for one reason or another so it should be good as it isn't just fuel economy on longer journeys, it's comfort etc so what I'm probably asking is, could you please tell me to buy a Lexus! 

Although I have a 450h rather than a 400h, my experience chimes with yours. I do a lot of miles (between 1500 and 2000 a month) and my RX is perfect. Sure it’s a little thirstier than my previous car, but for it’s sheer bulk it’s very economical. There’s nowhere else I’d rather be when stuck in a traffic jam than sat in my sound-insulated, comfortable, silently gliding truck.

Just buy a Lexus!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Well I bought my 2007 56 plate 400h at the beginning of April last year with 113k on the clock and it now has 129k on it so I've done a fair few miles in it.  Reliability has been horrendous.  In that time I have had the spring clip on the fuel filler cap come off, an exhaust heat shield come off and the rear ride height sensor snapped meaning no headlamp levelling.  It has cost me £12 in repairs on a nearly 12 year old car which is outrageous!!!

I remember thinking to myself the other day "Why didn't I just buy a German diesel of the same age so that I can have the pleasure of listening to the soundtrack of a Massey Ferguson every day whilst choking people to death and spending thousands in repairs?"  Ah well I've bought the Lexus now so I guess I will just have to live with it 🤣 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, rr8178r said:

Been lurking for a while but thought I'd throw this question at you. I need to get a new car (a different car as opposed to new!). I've got £6-7k to spend and been looking at getting an RX400h as I really like idea of a hybrid mixed with the fact they aren't a Juke/Qashqui/Mokka etc. For this sort of money it'll be an older, higher mileage model but I've seen quite a few with full Lexus service history etc so my question is, would you still buy an RX400h or would you buy a newer, lower mileage 'other' car if you were me? TIA for any advice.

Buy a Lexus, you will not regret it. Buy another car and you will always think, what if!

I bought RX450h 2012 in May 2012 with 161,000 and full Lexus main dealer SH. Not a single problem over £3 so far. Great car, solid, quiet and quick if you need it to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel-Lexus Owner said:

Buy a Lexus, you will not regret it. Buy another car and you will always think, what if!

I bought RX450h 2012 in May 2012 with 161,000 and full Lexus main dealer SH. Not a single problem over £3 so far. Great car, solid, quiet and quick if you need it to be.

Ops, I bought my 2012 RX450h in May 2018, when it was on 161,000 miles. Now it is on 168,000 and still going strong. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rutlandlex said:

Well I bought my 2007 56 plate 400h at the beginning of April last year with 113k on the clock and it now has 129k on it so I've done a fair few miles in it.  Reliability has been horrendous.  In that time I have had the spring clip on the fuel filler cap come off, an exhaust heat shield come off and the rear ride height sensor snapped meaning no headlamp levelling.  It has cost me £12 in repairs on a nearly 12 year old car which is outrageous!!!

I remember thinking to myself the other day "Why didn't I just buy a German diesel of the same age so that I can have the pleasure of listening to the soundtrack of a Massey Ferguson every day whilst choking people to death and spending thousands in repairs?"  Ah well I've bought the Lexus now so I guess I will just have to live with it 🤣 

Ha, the disgrace. On that point, the ride height sensor...on reading posts on here it is an expensive part from Lexus but a lot of you have made your own or bought on eBay? Am I correct?

• Like 1

I have had dozens of cars both company chariots and my own during my mature driving years.

Last year I decided that we needed to change the Honda CRV diesel manual for something similar size but automatic. Yes, getting to that time in life when there seems to be more traffic jams/queues/holdups.One of my customers has a RX400h which he was keen to show off and let me test drive – I was smitten with the performance delivery, quality, comfort and above all the technology.

Looked for a used one, but still tested others like Volvo XC90 but that felt old fashioned and a bit agricultural.

I found a RX400h at a Lexus dealer within my budget. (£7-8K, latest on Lexus web site is about £10k, but cheaper will come up occasionally) It was not perfect at 130k but drove superbly. As a pre owned approved it comes with 1 year Lexus warranty, I added a further 2 years. Now we are at 136K not a single issue and feel confident that any major problems are covered by the warranty.

My first encounter with Lexus and have had great service from the supplying dealer and the car is fabulous all round.

I would recommend trying to find one at Lexus or independent dealer with a decent warranty.

• Like 1

And also a top of the range RX400 SE-L will still have more extras/toys than a newer top of the range Nissan also when Looking just check the the timing belt has been changed should have been changed at 100.000 miles or 10 years.just do it take the plunge and buy a rx400 you knows you want to.

or we could all take a vote on it to help you decide 😂😂😂😂😂

ALL THOSE IN FAVOR RAISE A HAND 🤚 

😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

Hi rr8178r

If your budget is £6-7k and are prepared to travel a bit I think this one on eBay classified is a good one from what reads as a very decent dealer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-57-LEXUS-RX-400H-3-3-SE-CVT-5D-AUTO-NAV/264112317681?hash=item3d7e5224f1:g:q6gAAOSwip5cAJex:rk:28:pf:0

good luck with your search.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rr8178r said:

Ha, the disgrace. On that point, the ride height sensor...on reading posts on here it is an expensive part from Lexus but a lot of you have made your own or bought on eBay? Am I correct?

Yes that’s right. The sensor is formed of a mechanical bit and an electrical bit and it’s only the mechanical bit that breaks.  Main dealers of all makes, Lexus included, don’t repair things they just swap whole units so they will charge £400 for a complete new sensor or £500 fitted.  All you need is a bit of thread and a couple of ball joints to make a new mechanical bit.

There are many other examples of similar situations where dealers charge a month’s wages for changing a unit when only a tiny piece has broken when it can be repaired very cheaply either as a DIY job or a local garage job.

🤚

Thank you all so much for your help. You're a lovely bunch, we've made our mind up and are going for the RX! With one thing or another it'll be a month or two before we can purchase but I shall be straight back with pics when I have and will carry on perusing the boards to swoon over your cars.

Thank you all again, superstars!

• Like 3

Best of luck in your search.  In my opinion you should be looking at one with just over 100k on it that has had the cambelt replaced.  The interval is 100k so if you buy one with 89k on it then in no time you will have a very expensive service to pay for.  Buy one with 100k that has had the belt changed and then you have another 100k before it needs doing again.  Ideally it will have had the waterpump done at the same time.

If there's anything that you're not sure about then you know where we are 😊

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links