Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

buying and running an ISF in todays world

Hi all,

I always wanted a sporty car, I think we all do. comparing models and makes, a used ISF still comes up value for money. however, is it just crazy owning a car like this in todays economic climate. 

by this I mean, the tax is about £535 a year, cost of maintenance, any repairs that might come up in an 08/09 model, insurance (im 44 years old) I can't see a resale value in this car, so if I buy one, im stuck with it, with little resale value.  then we hear that congestion charge in London going up for certain cars. possibility of a congestion charge on the north circular A406!. you can apply this to any V8 car over the last 10 years. I've even contemplated getting an aston martin if the running costs are going to be the same!!!

i'd like your opinions on this and what your thoughts are

thanks

I think it depends on how much you value the experience of owning something like that. I’m trying to get as many V8’s under my belt as I can before the world stops producing these masterpieces of engineering. If you’re worried about running costs and tax then maybe it’s not for you. I think more often than not, owning performance cars comes from the heart rather than the mind. You only live once, so if you can, do it! We may all be driving milk floats within the next 20 years!

• Like 1

Interesting question and one I weighed up heavily when I bought mine in August. 

I had a Mondeo st diesel, which did about 40mpg in the city. Desperately dull, never felt the urge to just get in it and just drive. 

For an extra £30 a month tax, I can drive something that makes me smile every time I start it. 

My fuel cost has doubled from about £80 a month to about £160. 

As for resale, I've been watching the prices on this forum since about 2014, and I'd say they've stabilised. You could probably buy one and pretty much get your money back a year later. 

I would say that the Lexus ISF is probably the most reliable V8 around. No rod bearing issues to deal with, no carbon build up to worry about, no head bolt issues. 

About the worst thing you may have to deal with is a water pump leak, which would have probably been addressed if you're looking at an 08 plate. 

V8s are a dying breed, I'd advise you to scratch the itch whilst they're still around and relatively affordable. 

• Like 8

Finest 1, you are quite right owning, an F car or similar makes no sense at all in today's world but they are among the last  of the naturally aspirated V8's  and the decision to buy one is usually made with heart not head. However ,the running costs of an ISF are not as bad as you think. I had an IS 250 and changed to an ISF intending to keep for a couple of years until I got fed up with the running costs. I ended up keeping it for 4.5 years. OK the car tax is expensive and more fuel will be used, but insurance was surprisingly cheap if you shop around. An 09 car could still be warrantied with Lexus for £795 for 2 years, exactly the same as for an IS250 and the prices do seem to be bottoming out as people realise that they are more affordable and reliable than the German equivalents. Tyres and brakes are more expensive than an IS250 but not that much more , ditto servicing.

You need to drive one to "get it".

My current GSF was purchased with heart not head ( and a little man maths related to a 30% discount on an 8 month old car with 300 miles on it) and  I regularly ask myself  why I am running a car like this where you cannot even use a fraction of the power and the local council wants to impose a blanket 20mph limit. But, it is  a rare car, I have never seen another one on the road ,and every time I drive it, it makes me smile. The noise and the pull when you can open it up is worth every penny of the extra running costs.

Might be your last chance to drive  a dinosaur, the powers that be will have us all driving eco friendly electric pods before much longer, if they even allow us to drive.

By the way an Aston will cost far, far more to run, and will spend more time in the workshop.

• Like 5

Over the past 30 months and 24000 miles, running costs (ex fuel) on my ISF have been 2 services, a set of brakes and 2 wiper blades. Depreciation - £2000. It hasn’t put a foot wrong. As someone has already said they are over engineered - mine has no squeaks, no rattles nothing. I’ve kept the car longer than I thought, and it’s only because I want to change its going, not because I need to change.

fuel has averaged 20.2mpg, ok not the best, but dragged down a little as it’s used on the school run a couple of times a week where the consumption drops through the floor.

I ran a new merc e350 diesel for 3 years, and 60000 miles - even though the fuel costs were half of the ISF, and I had free servicing, depreciation was £23000. Ruinous.

Buy the right car, at the right price with the right history and because the depreciation is glacial, (there is still a demand for the right car) and as they are so reliable, cost per mile is cheaper than any of the other cars in the market sector.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 08ISF said:

My current GSF was purchased with heart not head ( and a little man maths related to a 30% discount on an 8 month old car with 300 miles on it) and  I regularly ask myself  why I am running a car like this where you cannot even use a fraction of the power and the local council wants to impose a blanket 20mph limit. But, it is  a rare car, I have never seen another one on the road ,and every time I drive it, it makes me smile. The noise and the pull when you can open it up is worth every penny of the extra running costs.

All this for the RCF too, but it was a 17% discount on a 3 month old car with 1500 miles on it (and a great trade in on the IS-F) 

Also £150 depreciation between May 31st and Dec 31st  2018 

You buy a 400+ bhp saloon mostly with your heart. If you’re bought with your head, you’d already be driving a hybrid Yaris...

That said, my ISF and GSF have been the cheapest cars to run (ALL factors considered - depreciation too!) that I’ve owned in a long time - barring the fuel, but you can see 35+mpg on a motorway run. Even the road tax (£555 now) is just over £1.50 a day... life’s too short to drive boring cars. 

• Like 1

We dont need V8's, takeaways, Sky TV, foreign holidays etc. Make a decision based on how much you want the experience of driving and owning a V8. In my opinion, the cost of ownership isn't obscene and only represents a little indulgence in return for a wonderful thrill. 

• Like 4

I have a few friends with Aston Martins (one is for sale at Lexus Hedge End) and I have tried two so far when I'm in the market for my annual change of car. Every time I have chosen something else in the price range because in my opinion they all fall well short of expectations. The last one I tried a drop dead gorgeous pair metallic green soft top V8 S I drove back after 15 minutes because the paddle shift system was truly dreadful. I'm perhaps more Brooke Bond than James Bond I guess, but the running costs if serviced properly will make a grown man cry. I thought my V12 twin turbo AMG was expensive but I can't imagine what the V12 Aston Martin would be.

It sounds like from your location the powers to be don't like cars in any form and you will without doubt get screwed by whatever hue of Government runs the Authority. Much better out here in the sticks where V8's can at least clear the cobwebs. I'm very impressed with the servicing costs of my V8 Lexus and consider the extended warranty costs considering it's a proper manufacturers warranty as cheap as chips.

In time I think V8's and V12's will only be in very expensive exotica way beyond sensible money.

• Like 2

Yes, the Lexus LC500 has very reasonable service costs compared to a DB9. I used to call mine the K-car as everything was priced in thousands.

The paddle shift on the V8 Vantage isn't very good and the conventional auto in the DB9 was much more smooth and useful in the real world. 

• Like 1

Get a cheap little econo box for commuting and use the ISF as a toy turns out way cheaper than paying for fuel on a V8 everyday plus if your running something boring everyday, every time you take a journey in the ISF it'll never disappoint and feel like your launching a rocket! 

• Like 2

Agree with above. Ive kept my ex taxi Prius. 187,000 miles, so not worth very much, despite being in very good condition. Had it since 57,000 miles, and maintained it regardless of cost, so know it well. Tax, MOT, a service and insurance costs me about £6.00 per week over a year now. Use it for shopping and running about.

I'm retired now, and firing up the burbling monster makes every journey an exciting event....and so, so worth it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Northern isf said:

Get a cheap little econo box for commuting and use the ISF as a toy turns out way cheaper than paying for fuel on a V8 everyday plus if your running something boring everyday, every time you take a journey in the ISF it'll never disappoint and feel like your launching a rocket! 

That's exactly what I do - especially a day like today with salt all over the roads.

2 hours ago, Comedian said:

That's exactly what I do - especially a day like today with salt all over the roads.

Absolutely.... I wasn't a believer but got myself a little runner, best thing i did. In the snow, the ISF stays off the road, no worries about car park dents etc. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PRT68 said:

Agree with above. Ive kept my ex taxi Prius. 187,000 miles, so not worth very much, despite being in very good condition. Had it since 57,000 miles, and maintained it regardless of cost, so know it well. Tax, MOT, a service and insurance costs me about £6.00 per week over a year now. Use it for shopping and running about.

I'm retired now, and firing up the burbling monster makes every journey an exciting event....and so, so worth it.

That's a good plan.

11 hours ago, Comedian said:

Same, mines under a cover garaged up untill springs comes, winter is not the Fs friend at all I wouldn't wish to drive such a powerful rwd car in winter conditions one bit of unsalted ice and that's it plus factor rust in and it makes even more sense to buy a rotbox to me.

1 hour ago, Northern isf said:

Same, mines under a cover garaged up untill springs comes, winter is not the Fs friend at all I wouldn't wish to drive such a powerful rwd car in winter conditions one bit of unsalted ice and that's it plus factor rust in and it makes even more sense to buy a rotbox to me.

Make sure it’s a breathable car cover, otherwise it’ll trap moisture and does more bad than good.

Mine stays in the garage when not in use and on a CTek trickle charger over winter without a cover to allow air circulation.

As it’s indoor out of the element dust is minimum, longest I’ve stored a car this way is 6 months and never had a any issue.

• Like 1

I don't think an RCF, ISF or GS-F would be that ruinous to run. Petrols not really that expensive - really it isn't and you can comfortable fill up with change from £100 - not £1000. £500/yr road tax - it's not that much, not really in scheme of life. If you want to run a car like this, you can make the sacrifices to run it if you've got a reasonable income. It just depends how much other stuff you'd want to sacrifice to do it. 

They'll do over 30mpg on the motorway which is only 1/4 less than a big diseal would do, so a journey from London to Birmingham might cost £30, not £20. Hardly super dear. 

They're a reliable car that's comfortable so why not if you want a bit of fun in your motoring life. 

On 1/24/2019 at 2:17 PM, emjay82 said:

We dont need V8's, takeaways, Sky TV, foreign holidays etc. Make a decision based on how much you want the experience of driving and owning a V8. In my opinion, the cost of ownership isn't obscene and only represents a little indulgence in return for a wonderful thrill. 

Couldn't put it better - some will want the takeaways, sky tv and holidays - others more holidays, others none of the above and a great car they enjoy but don't in reality actually drive that much. 

You pay your money and make your choices. I am facing this decision for my next car, Camry or ES/ or an LS/RC/GS V8. Depends on my business and just how I want to spend my money beyond basic living costs. I like cars, and powerful ones, but the extent I am not sure of to commit to run a really special car. My heart says LS460 or RCF, my head says Camry and invest more in my business equipment and seeing more of the world. 

Go on Rishi buy one, you know you want to.  I should have bought mine sooner and on reflection it should be no more expensive to run than my 10 year old Mitsubishi L200.

I have 2 years service and warranty with Lexus for £100 a month. My L200 cost more than that in service and MOT repairs over the last 2 years.

I have seen 30mpg on a run, although 12mpg when Im having more fun but an average better than my pick up. (I'm happy with 12 as its more fun than Sky sports).

Insurance just over £400 with a limited mileage. Very competitive.

I bought well at a keen price and don't expect to loose big money on depreciation over a couple of years and certainly nothing compared to buying or leasing a new car. 

I flogged the L200 and bought an IS300 Sportcross as a runabout. Sorted.

Therefore my man maths concludes running an ISF could actually be a saving. Well that's what I told the Mrs.

15 hours ago, AlanS said:

Make sure it’s a breathable car cover, otherwise it’ll trap moisture and does more bad than good.

Mine stays in the garage when not in use and on a CTek trickle charger over winter without a cover to allow air circulation.

As it’s indoor out of the element dust is minimum, longest I’ve stored a car this way is 6 months and never had a any issue.

Thanks for the advice, yes it's a breathable one had it made by a company in Nottingham I think it was,I take it off once a week sometimes two and start it up let it tick over for an hour with a little drive around the industrial estate if weathers ok to keep brakes from seizing on.

Really planning on keeping for life so that's why I use as an occasional second car as it's the best car I've owned by a long shot, not the fastest or best handling but you can't beat the reliability and build quality compared with other brands which it's supposed to compete with not to mention the rare factor is also what attracted me.