Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS 400 Boot seal and Cam Belt Kit & other stuff

Bought these recently for new to me LS 400.

All good fit and top quality. Bonnet stays need to add Knuckles on originals to new stays. Electric aerial we made a additional metal stay to give added support but again easy to fit.

292526244018, eBay £37.99 Boot seal
121984396936. Ebay  £149.49 Cam Water pump Kit
251064089005. eBay £22.9 Electric aerial
183505882688. eBay £16.99 Bonnet Stays
292800792724. eBay £ 23.99 Car mats

153014755968 . eBay £48.99 8xNGK iridium Spark Plugs

142166286591 . eBay £29.99 oil Air Cabin Filter Kit

Edited by Guest
mistake

How long to fit the aerial.  Mine needs doing, and was wondering if the pain of just replacing the mast is not worth it and go for a replacement.

What was quality of it like, as always worried that some Chinese goods is not well finished.

Cotswold Pete, This one was the second one I had. The first one from another company was poor. This one is a good bit of kit. We made a bit of extra bracing. Its operation is very good. If you are being over fussy the top mount bung looks a bit different to the original but you have got too be over picky for that to cause upset. We belt and braced the seal by using silicon as well. For me this was a better bet than a secon hand original or massive cost of new original.

Fitting time approx an hour plus making a new brace (meccano like)

21 minutes ago, Wisemonkey said:

Cotswold Pete, This one was the second one I had.

Who is the seller on eBay, as there are a few, and i could find the eBay code you posted (or am I doing something wrong).

Glad to here your a belt and braces type, that's how it should be.

• 2 weeks later...

Those bonnet stays arrived, I've fitted them and they seem good. Although less chunky than the originals, they are way more powerful. I had to re-use the original attachment nuts with ball ends and to get them out of the old units involved hack sawing the old cups in order to prize them apart enough to pry them out. So not totally starlight forward, but for just under £17 for the pair delivered... I'm happy. Thanks again Simon for the tip.

Stupot, They are good, glad you got on with them. All the other stuff is equal to the stays, ok with them a bit of a tweak required but compare them to original new and it is a no brainer.

Yes it did in mine, I am aware the LS 400  boot seals overtime fail, they become spongy less springy if you like. Mine had a few tears in same as well. It was never flooding in but was worse if car parked with front of car going downhill forward, needed to be other way round. New seal sorted same. I had to sort out a bit of corrosion where water had got in via the boot seal and collected near the boot latch lock at the bottom. I cleaned up the corrosion, cure rusted same with Krust and painted with hammerite. I then did same with any other "iffy looking areas round the rim the seal is bed onto before fitting new one. All tickity boo now. Also I understand the rear wheel arches particularly round seams can corrode and allow seapage into the boot space. Have a look as tell tail corrosion  streaks will be visible, then its a question of sorting corrosion and ingress with best method. 

15 hours ago, Daveyboy20 said:

Does a new boot seal stop it leaking? It stinks in my ls400 at the mo as the boot is so bloody damp

If you have water in the spare well, then that is coming in from the seal.  It's not due to seal loosing its compression, it is due to the sealent that holds the deal to the boot rim drying out.  Then the water can wick over the gap (usually a the top of the boot, and makes its way down to the bottom inside rim, then where the lock is it finds a path to the spare wheel well.

I just pulled off seal, cleaned up the ridge around the boot, then cleaned out the actually seal, then redid the rim with silicon and not had a leak in 5 years.  (also did same on Mk3).  Took no more than two hours. Saved me the cost of a new seal.

If you have water gathering on either side (where the air vents are) then that is likely to be rear arch corrosion, which is a bit more of pain to sort out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Daveyboy20 said:

Where would I see the arch corrosion? As in - how do I check? The arch appears fine fob the outside

With mine it was corrosion in both arches, rigt from where the arch meets the boot floor, through to the sills by the passenger door.

I only noticed as I had steamy windows and knew my boot seal was fine, and then found water by the SatNav unit, and on the other side.  At first I thought it was a tiny hole, but prodding with a screwdriver revealed a right old load of rust.  Top of the arch was fine, but I assume  this holds less mud and crud to cause problems.

So take off wheel and prod with a bradawl or small screwdriver.