Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LED Headlights is220d

Mrconwaytwitty

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with fitting LED bulbs into the is220d? 

I have a 2009 model I believe the low beams are H11 bulbs ane high beams are different, but my question is there are plenty of H11 LED plug and play bulbs on eBay they seem fairly straightforward to fit, but I'm curious has anyone actually tried them and if so have you encountered any error codes or lights on the dash? 

Resistor errors or whatever? 

Also any recommendations that will go straight into my car model without too much headache? 

Don't do it. It's an MOT failure if the bulb doesn't match the housing. In other words, if the housing unit is designed for a halogen bulb then nothing other than a halogen bulb will pass the MOT. This is taken from the MOT Inspection Manual here https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/

headlamp.thumb.png.3528233179a84673f7552c5ed2ae68e0.png

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Don't do it. It's an MOT failure if the bulb doesn't match the housing. In other words, if the housing unit is designed for a halogen bulb then nothing other than a halogen bulb will pass the MOT. This is taken from the MOT Inspection Manual here https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/

headlamp.thumb.png.3528233179a84673f7552c5ed2ae68e0.png

Thank you for your reply and the information.

I'm not so much worried about the MOT specifications as i could always swap them before hand if they are indeed "plug and play" and as easy as a normal bulb replacement. 

I'm more concerned that they may throw up a error message or some other compatability issue. I really would just like to know if there are any that will work well with a is220d 

Peter's right. 

Automotive lighting is a very complex science. The flutes and prisms on the lens aren't there to make it look pretty but so that the beam angle, refractions, reflections and everything else work in a certain way so as to give the driver maximum visibility without dazzling oncoming drivers. Put the wrong bulb in the wrong unit and the beam pattern will be affected - maybe to such a degree that you cause an accident.

we seem to care more about what we want these days rather than the implications or ramifications of our actions.whatever 🙄 you do just make sure it's legal 😊 

• Like 1

These are LED and the only current ones that have a controlled beam pattern. They are expensive but like others are not road legal.

Fitting normal LED bulbs will not give you better lighting if anything they will be worse as it's an uncontrolled beam so the light just sprays off in all directions. They look brighter to look at but are not.

These also have the built in fans for cooling I believe. Looking at about £150 a pair and you need to purchase the control boxes with them separately. b55a920d27d5e1ed268dc1572720b60f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I fitted some LED’s to a previous car and to look at they were brighter but in the real world the light was awful. Very little range so they were worse than the OE halogens.

if you are after better light output I would advise going for some upgrade halogens, osram night breakers etc. 

On my IS I upgraded the bulbs but also adjusted the lamps as beam pattern was on the low side, this has made a huge difference and I don’t dazzle oncoming drivers.

• Like 1

Thanks for replys guys, i know road safety is important and not blinding fellow drivers and I don't intend to but really my factory low beams where just crap. 

Anyway I bit the bullet and bought a pair off eBay, very similar to the ones Lee kindly advised, fan on etc (£24.99) yeah I'm guessing there not certified as road legal like the £150 ones but I installed them very easily everything fits inside compartment and no errors or problems so far so good. 

I did also get a friend to have a drive with me in his car and go past me to check for angle and brightness, he said they where brighter than my old ones but weren't dazzling in anyway or overly bright, which granted isn't the most scientific of tests but it will do for me. 

The difference is not massive but so much easier to see the road now compared to the old ones, im really pleased. 

So the low beams are H11s on is220d, anyone know what the high beam code name is please? Looks a bit daft having white lows and yellow highs so I wanna swap them also but haven't had them out before so not sure what type fit they are?? 

If anyone would like the link to the ones I bought I can link the eBay listing, by sounds of it though I'm guessing not lol. 

In either case thanks for your feedback appreciated 

""Anyway I bit the bullet and bought a pair off eBay, very similar to the ones Lee kindly advised, fan on etc (£24.99) yeah I'm guessing there not certified as road legal like the £150 ones but I installed them very easily everything fits inside compartment and no errors or problems so far so good. ""

Think you'll find that even the '£150' LED's do not conform to EEC regs and are not for road use!

Paul m.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links