Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS430 On LPG Lubrication ?

Hi guys. I recently picked up my new to me 2004 LS430 which had only been converted to dual fuel in Poland by the previous owner last June.

It doesn't have a fuel lube system fitted but as I have one on my outgoing defunct Vectra-C 3.2 I've tentatively decided to get that one re-fitted to the Lexus but I'm just curious as to what thoughts other LPG owners have about doing this ? (I learned the hard way on my Vectra which needed new exhaust valves after 100k miles of gas use which was when I had the lube system fitted).

Additionally, because the system was installed in Poland, it has the hidden Euro style filler behind the petrol flap, but my installer tells me it won't pass UK certification unless it is modified to a UK external bayonet type (probably mounted centrally on the rear bumper at crash bar height). My insurers (Direct Line) won't renew my insurance unless I get UK certification... oh well.

Thanks guys.

I’m no expert on lpg however I’ve seen it mentioned here more than once that the ls430 has hardened valves therefore does not require flash lube- might be a idea to ring around a few installers and get their perspective

hope this helps 

• Like 1

For what Flashlube costs it just isn't worth the risk - have it done.

As to the filler point, no, it doesn't comply with the UK regs but I've seen loads of cars that have them like that, so how they are getting round it I don't know. May be worth talking to a couple of installers to get their thoughts on that.

• Like 1

LPG does not do any damage to a modern engine with hardened valves and valve seats.

I have run my cars in excess of 16 years and not one of them was in anyway engine damaged by not having flashlube. These days it's just another way of fleecing you of even more money.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Yes my old Vectra-C had hardened valves too, but didn't survive much beyond 100k before they burned and they were £150 each. I daren't think what these would cost new lol.

Ok Yes, it's not a chance worth taking I guess, especially as I already have a kit.

As for the filler type, yes I've seen lots of other cars with this Euro style and can't understand how they get it past their insurers either unless they aren't declared but seeing as my insurers already know about it and won't renew my cover without a UK certificate then I don't see a way out of it.

Oh Well, hey ho.

Hi, just to chip in.

My LS430 on LPG for almost 30k miles, also fitted in Poland, no flashlube - the installer told me flashlube was a waste of money for the 3UZ FE engine. Everything in top order so far. Compression as if the engine was new.

Also had the filler fitted under the fuel flap.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2019 at 3:48 PM, Woodpeck said:

Thanks guys.

Yes my old Vectra-C had hardened valves too, but didn't survive much beyond 100k before they burned and they were £150 each. I daren't think what these would cost new lol.

Ok Yes, it's not a chance worth taking I guess, especially as I already have a kit.

As for the filler type, yes I've seen lots of other cars with this Euro style and can't understand how they get it past their insurers either unless they aren't declared but seeing as my insurers already know about it and won't renew my cover without a UK certificate then I don't see a way out of it.

Oh Well, hey ho.

You could always have the proper filler fitted.