Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stopping LS460 doors freezing shut

Are any of you using anything like Einszett Gummi Pflege on the door seals or other silicone lube etc to keep the door rubbers in good shape through winters? I guess waxing the body where the rubbers meet it would help too.

When we had the cold snap earlier this week all of the doors on my LS460 were frozen shut, we got to about -6c where I am and it probably didn't help the car took the brunt of freezing winds off the moors.

Also one of the plastic door trim pieces physically debonded from the door frame when I tried to open it - not sure if that's a common problem seen here before but I'm going to replace the trim part when it warms up a bit (no point fixing it for now).

I've had to change the additive in the washing bottle as it froze solid and took 1h 45 mins on a journey before the washers were working again, seemed to take forever compared to my Volvo which from everything I've experienced so far is better designed for the freezing weather.

I'm just wondering if there are any good cold weather tips for the LS please - engine wise it was fine but getting in was a challenge on Wednesday!

I use Gummi-Pflege on the door and boot rubbers, excellent stuff. I'd avoid using silicone as it can attract grit and dirt and it's a bugger to remove should some get somewhere it shouldn't..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I use Gummi-Pflege on the door and boot rubbers, excellent stuff. I'd avoid using silicone as it can attract grit and dirt and it's a bugger to remove should some get somewhere it shouldn't..

Solved freezing issues and squeaky seals on my CT 200h.

This is the stuff: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002MZZNU8/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item 

I've got the Einszett version in the garage so I'll dig it out - sounds like it's still the best type of product to use after all these years thank-you both 👍

I use Autoglym Rubber care on all door seals. Top stuff easy to apply. My guess is the door seals on these cars will be mega bucks so well worth preserving, not bad for the boot seal for replacement as it is not so complicated and shaped as per door seals.

If your screen wash is freezing up you are diluting it too much go for a more concentrated mix also the bottles on the LS range are not in a warm place stowed down between the wheel arch and front bumper

U guys in the UK are spoilt 😂😂 

barely ever see temps under 0, so the windshield washing liquids are probably the same all year around. In Canada winter liquids are good to -20 something. Here in Ukraine they have different types at the gas station I just get the one with the lowest temp rating safer that way you are always prepared. 

Ive has temps as low as the -11 or lower this winter in Ukraine and I’ve not had any locks or doors or anything freezing. The car is park outside with only a roof over it. Sides are exposed. 

53 minutes ago, jdanielca said:

U guys in the UK are spoilt 😂😂 

barely ever see temps under 0, so the windshield washing liquids are probably the same all year around. In Canada winter liquids are good to -20 something. Here in Ukraine they have different types at the gas station I just get the one with the lowest temp rating safer that way you are always prepared. 

Ive has temps as low as the -11 or lower this winter in Ukraine and I’ve not had any locks or doors or anything freezing. The car is park outside with only a roof over it. Sides are exposed. 

Maybe it has something to do with our damp winter climate?

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 10:54 AM, NemesisUK said:

Do you know if the Autoglym rubber care stuff is a similar product?

4 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Maybe it has something to do with our damp winter climate?

Trust me it’s damp here in this part of Ukraine however I concede you guys are probably worse off in that department. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links