Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strutmasters shipping costs

k1elliott

Hi all. 

Back with an 07 LS460. Love it. Few niggles, but pretty good for 80k miles and 12 years under the belt. Nothing that scares me. 

Already changed out the uca's making a huge difference. Drop links are next and I was going to swap air for coilovers with strutmasters. 

I went to buy the dampers last night for 699 USD but they wanted 1500 for shipping!! That's mental. 

Anyone any experience of buying any of their kit in from US? Any other options for kit and/or shipping.? I've dropped them a line using their website contact page. I'll let you know how they respond. Hoping their shipping calculator is wrong. Quote was same for Irl and UK. 

Thanks for looking. 

33 minutes ago, k1elliott said:

Hi all. 

Back with an 07 LS460. Love it. Few niggles, but pretty good for 80k miles and 12 years under the belt. Nothing that scares me. 

Already changed out the uca's making a huge difference. Drop links are next and I was going to swap air for coilovers with strutmasters. 

I went to buy the dampers last night for 699 USD but they wanted 1500 for shipping!! That's mental. 

Anyone any experience of buying any of their kit in from US? Any other options for kit and/or shipping.? I've dropped them a line using their website contact page. I'll let you know how they respond. Hoping their shipping calculator is wrong. Quote was same for Irl and UK. 

Thanks for looking. 

I contacted Strutmaster asking about a set for the LS430. They quoted me 900US dollars for parts and the same for shipping! Seems a tad high especially as it'll include some sort of import charge.  It's a shame because Strutmaster make them specifically for the car.

My shocks are dead. Bags are fine but dampers are shot. Feels like both on near side. Get that jumping feeling at high speed and slamming noise over sudden uneven surface. Ain't paying for new air shocks. Any other options aside from strutmaster? I'm pretty sure I've scoured the Web and its arnott airs or some other crowd with bad reviews. 

8 hours ago, k1elliott said:

My shocks are dead. Bags are fine but dampers are shot. Feels like both on near side. Get that jumping feeling at high speed and slamming noise over sudden uneven surface. Ain't paying for new air shocks. Any other options aside from strutmaster? I'm pretty sure I've scoured the Web and its arnott airs or some other crowd with bad reviews. 

Sadly there are few options.  Arnott air shocks from Rockauto in the US are a lot cheaper but I don't know how good they are.  Either way, if you bought from Strutmaster they would still work out less including shipping than you'd pay for just two new ones from Lexus!

2 hours ago, k1elliott said:

Researched some reshipping services such as reship.com Coming in at about 250 USD to Ireland. Not bad. Will go for that. Will update. 

That's much better. Are Strutmaster happy for you to arrange your own shipping?  I just wondered if that's a way of them making more from you.  I'll follow this with interest. I think the original air struts are about 9.5 pounds in weight, I was surprised when I picked one up at just how light it was. 

The reshipper just gives you a US address. You use that for free shipping by strutmasters then the reshipper will repackage the 2 boxes into 1 and ship to you. My original estimate was for 25kg. It's coming in at over 300 USD for 35kg and 8 day delivery. 

Done. 133 USD shipping to Oregan where the reshipper is based and is tax free. 

Then they'll let me know when it arrives and I'll pay them about 300 to forward to me in Ireland. 

Significantly cheaper. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Malc said:

are your pricing modules including HM Customs Duty and VAT too ?

That can be a big number if it doesn't

Malc

That's what I'm wondering. Is there a way of estimating the customs charge?  I had an o2 sensor from Rockauto last year and customs was £18 on a £50 item!

52 minutes ago, k1elliott said:

Can't wait.

So the struts were still 699us? In pounds that only about £550 so if I did it your way sometime it could work out around £800 plus import rip off and Vat.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

That's what I'm wondering. Is there a way of estimating the customs charge?

oh dear, without Brexit and a Trade Agreement ....................  hahahahahahaha  ...............  I jest :whistling:

I reckon it's about 20% VAT plus maybe a tenner or more ............ AND that's vat on the shipping costs too ............  now that is a rip-off for sure :Jumpy:

just going by my recent Amayama costs of HMRC vat and Duty AND Parcelforce £12 fee per package

Malc

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, k1elliott said:

You can put your own value of the package on reshipping label. It's not coming from a seller once its reshipped. Let's see. 

I'll be really interested to know how the ride is when fitted. Keep us posted as this info could be invaluable to some.  To be honest, I don't think my air suspension rides any better than the conventional setup on my LS400's. Also if you could eventually give some info on how straightforward the replacement is.  I believe Strutmaster also supply the info for disabling the warning lights after removing the old system.

I'll keep you posted of course.

I already took one front strut out after I got a ratchet spanner stuck between it and uca bracket when doing uca. Was straight forward. It's always scary the first time 🙂

From what I've read the lights can be disabled by directly removing power to the pump or pulling the fuse. 

With you on the ride quality of the LS400. Mine was silky even with 150k on originals. Super car. 

41 minutes ago, k1elliott said:

I'll keep you posted of course.

I already took one front strut out after I got a ratchet spanner stuck between it and uca bracket when doing uca. Was straight forward. It's always scary the first time 🙂

From what I've read the lights can be disabled by directly removing power to the pump or pulling the fuse. 

With you on the ride quality of the LS400. Mine was silky even with 150k on originals. Super car. 

Thanks for that.  My current Celsior is likely (due to me no longer being a spring chicken) my last "impractical" car so I'd like to make it last.  With an immaculate body and just 64k it should be possible.  The one thing that always plays on the mind is the suspension, so what you're doing is so helpful.  When I got mine a rear strut had an oil misting and a tad bouncy so a bought one from a breaker.  It's absolutely fine now but the interesting part was the way the mechanic found the job so easy, and that included removing the rear seat.  I guess if you're never going back to air it'll be even more straightforward as the airlines can just be cut for removal.

12 hours ago, k1elliott said:

I don't think we really quite appreciate just how brilliant the 'ride' is in our Ls400s

Last evening being driven in the backseat of a well looked after, 28k miles Mobility Scheme provided Nissan 2 year old Qashqai ......... bnloody hell, a real bag of bones by comparison :Jumpy:

Lexus Ls quality is quite supreme  ( as is my Honda Legend too might I add )

Malc

• Like 1

Re simplicity. Good tools go a LONG way imo. My dewalt impact wrench, ball joint breakers, crows feet, breaker bar, ratchet spanners, trolley Jack's, hydraulic press etc etc that I've picked up over the years turn a potential disaster into the very achievable. Being brave and of course these forums and their contributors are the beating heart of DIY. Hooray for the Internet. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, k1elliott said:

Re simplicity. Good tools go a LONG way imo. My dewalt impact wrench, ball joint breakers, crows feet, breaker bar, ratchet spanners, trolley Jack's, hydraulic press etc etc that I've picked up over the years turn a potential disaster into the very achievable. Being brave and of course these forums and their contributors are the beating heart of DIY. Hooray for the Internet. 

I couldn't agree more about tool quality. In my work as a carpenter the quality of tools makes can make a massive difference to the end result.  Sadly my garage at home was built in the days when cars were about 4' wide. If I had a bigger one I'd do much more myself.

• 1 month later...

Update. 

They refunded my payment because they require transfer for international purchase. I must have missed that in the conditions. 

Making the wire transfer this week after some delay on my side. 

They also asked for my VIN to make sure that the wrong parts are not purchased. 

Will update in due course. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update 

Reship received the package and sent me an email stating that the contents are deemed hazardous. 

They have given me some options, the preferred being DHL which is the only shipping option. I am not looking forward to seeing the quote. 

Will update. 

VAT is charged on shipping at the same rate as the contents (it is in the UK too, you are charged vat on domestic post if the box has vat-able contents) so VAT charged varies as does Duty which depends on the tarrif code. In general, when you calculate an import from outside EU or possibly outside UK in the coming months - add 30% to the total paid and it's a handy guide for price comparisons.