Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just wondering what everyone is getting per gallon as my display is showing average mpg as 22mpg. It has about 78000 miles on the clock. I do short 10 min trips both back roads on mainly battery and dual carriage way doing 40/50 mph each way. Is there a issue somewhere or is this normal on a car this age and mileage?

7 minutes ago, Ragzv6 said:

Just wondering what everyone is getting per gallon as my display is showing average mpg as 22mpg. It has about 78000 miles on the clock. I do short 10 min trips both back roads on mainly battery and dual carriage way doing 40/50 mph each way. Is there a issue somewhere or is this normal on a car this age and mileage?

Short runs will always give poor MPG, but if you are forcing the use of electric only mode this will make things worse. The reason for this is that once the Battery becomes discharged the engine then has to charge it, and power the car.
I have a gen3 GS450H, and this gets around 35 mpg. I would expect your gen4 GS to achieve closer to 40 mpg.

John.

That doesn't sound right Lee.

I tend to keep track of my fuel consumption when I fill up and have been getting 30-33mpg on average.  This is a mixture of A roads and town driving.  Admittedly I don't do that many short journeys, with my main commute being 25-30 minutes.

• Like 1

Way too low.

For me average 35mpg.

Eco motorway 45mpg+

I've just done 2800 miles run to Poland on winter tyres - 33mpg but my average speed through whole Germany was  slightly over 100mph

22mpg is something you should see doing around 110mph. In short mpg is dropping dramatically when you move above 85/90

In the 4k (?) miles I've done since getting mine (think it was 65k when I  got it) I've increased it from 32.9 to 35.8 and now down to 35.5.  Got over 46 on long motorway runs with lots of SPECS enforced 50 zones over X-Mas.  Average for me on my semi-back road then  town commute is about 33.5.

It would make more sense That it gets better mpg on motorway but still should get more than 20’s for short trips surely seeing as I drive quite sensibly and let it run on Battery when I can and slowing down ahead of time to charge it. When I check the mpg in the past few years it’s showing average of low 30’s with best mpg of 34mpg. I have checked my tyre pressure and they are as specified on the sticker inside my door. 34 psi on fronts and 35 psi on backs. Car drives fine and nothing is lit on the dash. What could be causing this??

Check brake discs temperature after few miles drive. Maybe calliper has sized and you got brake permanently applied 🙂

Eventually lift the car and rotate wheels to see if you can do it easily. 

Finally go for a longer trip on the nearest motorway / empty A road. Warm up the engine and set cruise control to 60mph and check mpg. You should see mid 40s.

From my calculations I top up 30£ which last me 2 weeks and I’m doing 60 odd miles a week. So It is getting around the 20mpg mark. I will be going on a longer trip soon so I will see what happens but I’m sure there is something going on 🤔

it is due a service in 2000 miles according to the display but the oil level is at max. But seeing as I just bought the car not sure how accurate this is so I will be doing a oil, oil filter and air filter change just to make sure.

I do an average 23-25 mpg in town but they are short trips (5-10mns each way) mainly in normal mode

If I drive for longer in town I can reach 28-29mpg.

On the motorway I achieved 37-38mpg (and driving on sport mode) as I love hearing the V6 growls like a V8. But then put it on cruise control aiming at 70mpg I can just about get 39 mpg. I have not yet hit above 40mpg but my driving style can be a bit sporty. Will have to try and drive on Eco mode to see if I can beat the 40mpg... I guess, it will have to be driving on the left lane without pressing the accelerator or overtaking unnecessarily...

Good motorway run .... Manchester to London... I will see around 50 MPG.  Road trips across Europe, I'm getting about 42MPG.

With a new job, my commute has changed to a 11 mile, 11 MPG average hour drive each way.  I'm averaging just over 30MPG a day.

• Like 1

So it seems like short trips is maybe what’s causing the low mpg. Possibility because the engine is constantly restarting after stopping and pulling away in traffic. 

I will be going on a 90 mile drive in couple weeks so I will see what I get. Fingers crossed it’s 30 plus Otherwise I may have a issue on my hands but I have faith. will post a update shortly

• Like 2

Short runs, especially in heavy stop start traffic will lower your MPG further. Forget the official urban figures. To be honest I'm doing well to get 18mpg during my journey to work. We're talking Greater London rush hour here. Quite a bit of time is spent engine running stationary or nudging along so to speak. However that's a standard 2.5 V6. 

On a run with CC set at 70mph I'm getting around 40mpg, so I believe everything is running as it should be. Remember winter mpg will be slightly lower too in general. 

I don't think the GS250 or the 350h are particularly economical at all. One's an old smoothie, the other is a more expensive old smoothie with enhanced get up and go. 

• 1 month later...

So just an update after a 90 mile trip. Great news. I got it just over 40mpg on a 50 mile stretch of motorway which I set to 70-80 mph on cruise control. 

So short miles is definitely what’s causing the low mpg but I can deal with that considering I have a machine capable of leaving most cars for dust on the roads for far cheaper to run than something of this performance. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 3:37 PM, Ragzv6 said:

From my calculations I top up 30£ which last me 2 weeks and I’m doing 60 odd miles a week. So It is getting around the 20mpg mark. I will be going on a longer trip soon so I will see what happens but I’m sure there is something going on 🤔

it is due a service in 2000 miles according to the display but the oil level is at max. But seeing as I just bought the car not sure how accurate this is so I will be doing a oil, oil filter and air filter change just to make sure.

60 miles a week is the issue. My RX450h which is a lot heavier is averaging between 32 and 36mpg at present BUT I'm driving around 550 miles a week so car is always hot. 

• Like 1