Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speeding

Hello folks.  I had to drive to Bristol twice over the past few days and, I was amazed at how many drivers have total disregard for the 50mph speed limits imposed at various areas of the M5 where work is being carried out.

despite the fact that there are numerous signs indicating that there are 'Average speed checks in operation' I was constantly being overtaken by cars that were probably doing at time, close to 60mph.

Purely from an interest point of view, does anyone know if any speeding notices are ever issued in the cases.  Do most of the drivers just chance their luck that they won't get a ticket?

On another matter, the drive that I did (twice) was a 150 mile round trip and, I drove at or close to the speed limits all of the time.  These limits covered pretty much the whole range, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70. I was really impressed with the mpg return on my car, a tad over 44 mpg on both trips.  I am very pleased with that, particularly bearing in mind the temperatures we have had over the past few days.

Using my TomTom through roadworks ( it shows length of works in miles) indicates my average speed as well as current speed.

The speed cameras will have a tolerance so will not actually record a car until over this tolerance ( commonly thought to be 10% + 2mph, so a limit of 50 will be 57). Any corrections welcome from learned sources!

So using my TomTom I usually travel at 52-53 mph and this shows at 54-55 on cars dash speedo, (due to the fact that all car speedos actually over state your speed to err on the safe side) so if you are travelling at 49-50 ( on your car speedo) it may well look like I am 'flying' past. This is not done in a wreckless manner but I find sitting behind traffic at '50' then if you just follow the car in front invariably you look down and your doing 45! ( which is actually about 41-42!!)

paul m.

stands back and waits for flack.....

I usually set cruise at 50  ( my speed according to tomtom is 47-48mph)on a long dual carriageway stretch of the A449 between Worcester and Kidderminster. 

I use it at various times of the day and the speed camera van is invariably at one of about 6 different locations.

Last week I was travelling South at 50 when Mr Smart**** decided that I was going too slowly for his Vauxhall Astra.  As he pulled out to overtake I inwardly smiled . 

Brake lights on in front of me but he was toooo late.....

Letter in the post no doubt