Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check hybrid system and check engine light

Evening all

Looking for some help, took my car for MOT this morning which it sailed through without any hesitation and full bill of health. 

Ironically since it passed it test, witinin an hour it developed check hybrid system and check engine light. Unfortunately I don't have any diagnostic kit to check exactly what could be at fault but anyone can shed some light what it might be related to. 

Just to let you know that before taking it for MOT I get the front tyres changed and after mot I unplugged and plugged 12v Battery, since then I am having these MSG's. 

Any help would be highly appreciated. 

Regards.

Right a quick update:

I was searching online about this light combination, I came across a tip that if you press the brake padel 8-10 times with ignition at acc/on option, it will clear the check hybrid/vsc light temporarily. Thought there is nothing to lose in giving it a try. 

As mentioned before I unplugged and plugged the -ve 12v Battery terminal, so I just loosened it and re tight it. After that I turned on the ignition and still no joy, so I had all the worst thoughts for the hybrid system.... 

So I just switched off the car and was abt to make a call to recovery service, thought I would give a try to that trick which I read abt online, so ignition in full on position without car being started, pumped the brake 11 times, ignition switch off and on, so moment of truth yes it cleared the check hybrid system and warning triangle error, only thing left was check engine light. So I drove the car around the block and no more check hybrid vsc light, wohooo. Fingers crossed that it sorted the issue😎

Coming to check engine light, after driving around the block with no warning sign for the check hybrid system, I switched off the car completely and switched back on, and behold no more Check engine lights at all....🤩. Drove again for another 10 mins and no more xmas lights on dash at all..... wohoooo. I will keep my eyes at this for next few days, hopefully it would not return. 

Looks like it's my lucky escape, thought I would share my experience as it may help others, who could be in such scenario and need a quick fix. 

Regards.

• Like 2

Well done clearing the Xmas tree dash lights, that's a neat trick. Well found.

You should get the stored codes read to see what tripped the lights. Then clear all codes and hope the lights behave. If they don't, then re read the codes and get an accurate fault list.

Good luck and fingers crossed.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Why did you unhook the battery for the MOT?

Maybe the power off/on tripped something?

I didn't unhook the Battery for the MOT, I was trying to clean the instrument cluster after the test, took the terminal off before removing the fascia for a better access. Took it off as initially did not want any warning lights as a result of fascia removal. Well that was the plan and rest is history 😇.

Maybe it triggered something but so far it is behaving itself (touch wood). Now I am on look out for some diagnostic kit, will see how my search end up🤔.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Farqui said:

You should get the stored codes read to see what tripped the lights. Then clear all codes and hope the lights behave. If they don't, then re read the codes and get an accurate fault list.

I m hoping to take it in to some garage who can actually read the codes with proper tools, failing that as said earlier, on the look out for diagnostic kit for such scenarios, any heads up will be highly appreciated.

Regards. 

• Like 1

What mobile phone do you use, Iphone or Android?

An OBDII reader is likely to give you the majority of the codes. Typically the more you spend, the more ECU's can be read.

If you have a local indi they maybe able to read the codes for you

• Like 1

Here's a nice list of OBD Bluetooth adaptor's that are compatible with your phone; https://mycarneedsthis.com/best-bluetooth-obd2-scan-adapters/

I've used a cheap OBD adaptor (like #7) paired to my phone and using an app like Torque have read codes; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en_GB 

I've since bought an LX adaptor (#5) that works nicely with the Hybrid Assistant app; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=priusfan.info.bthsd10

Commercial options used in garages can often read more codes and maybe even configure certain options like door locking, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks Farqui. Really appreciate your help.Your input has narrowed down my search, otherwise I was wondering which one I should go for, as don't have a positive experience before with these dongles. 

Regards.