Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS460 swap for IS250C, keep SC430

20 hours ago, twolexii said:

Opportunity to buy LS460 w/FLSH, 07/80k; for price of selling my 09/IS250C/33k; and keep my 03/SC430/71k. Any thoughts?

If I were in your shoes I would do it. The LS is a beautiful line of cars. Don't have any 460s but two ls430's for over a decade with no major issues since original purchase. If I understand correctly, your IS250 is the least valuable of your cars and on eBay etc, they seem to sell privately for around 9-10k price. Therefore if you swap it for the 460 you want then you lose about 2k but you save yourself time and hassle and there's no guarantee you would get that much for the IS anyway due to condition and other variables. The 460 is only two years older and a more lavish car. So you have left the SC which is just as large though as the LS so you are stuck with two massive sedans which would be the drawback, but on the bright side you have a sporty one and a car for cruising. If you really want the 460 perhaps be patient and sell the IS first for 9-10K, then get the/a 460 and with money left over get a small 'run around' car. The IS and SC are similar- if I were you swap the SC for the LS then you really have a massive cruiser and a compact sporty smaller Lexus IS on the side.

Sorry for length guess I'm passionate about cars lol

Alex  

• Like 1

Thank you, gentlemen, for responding with your advice. In my ideal world I’d keep the very pleasant IS250C and superb SC430 and add the stately LS460, particularly as my lady would now find the large saloon easier to get into. However I only drive 8k a year so insufficient use? Semi-retired and finding golf tedious, becoming threelexii does appeal. As does the fact that the newer hybrid models feel less Lexus and more sanitised BMW inside. So the triple fleet, at an all-in £25k, would still be less than one underwhelming CT200h. Next step? Drive an LS460 for an hour then decide.

BTW, comparing Lexus service Hedge End, Guildford and Twickenham, the latter definitely 3rd-rate with Hedge End top. I also have a nearby excellent independent engineer for instinctive fault-finding. 

5 hours ago, twolexii said:

I only drive 8k a year so insufficient use?

definitely not, my neighbours Bentley covers about 300 miles a year  .........  not a patch on a Ls460 I'm sure

Thanks, Malcolm, a good point, having played with the (Phaeton) Bentley. I’ve found a fun way to make it three lexii as I know I’d miss the IS250C. There’s a reason it is still a Which Best Buy, 7 years on from its demise. For the LS460, I’m quoted by Aviva £422 comp for 3k miles p.a. and £500 voluntary excess, with full NCD, for my Sussex postcode. Feels toppy as the IS250C is £272 for 5k miles and my wife’s 2013 Touareg is c. £480. Test drive of the LS460 next week but only at £1k over PX. 55 years buying and disposing of cars has shown that another beauty always comes  along.

Edited by twolexii
Caution: head over heart.

8 hours ago, twolexii said:

I’m quoted by Aviva £422 comp for 3k miles p.a. and £500 voluntary excess,

just seen that the Co-Op have re=entered the car insurance market now !

My very first insurer some 50+ years ago and that was £25 then, an absolute fortune when the car cost me £5 ..........

Malc

47 minutes ago, Malc said:

just seen that the Co-Op have re=entered the car insurance market now !

My very first insurer some 50+ years ago and that was £25 then, an absolute fortune when the car cost me £5 ..........

Malc

£25 in  say 1965 is equivalent to approx £460 today. An increase of  1840 per cent.

£5 multiplied by 1840% is £92,

so, for a substantial prize, when did the value of 3 tomatoes equate to the value of 1 banana ??

On 2/4/2019 at 10:54 PM, twolexii said:

Thanks, Malcolm, a good point, having played with the (Phaeton) Bentley. I’ve found a fun way to make it three lexii as I know I’d miss the IS250C. There’s a reason it is still a Which Best Buy, 7 years on from its demise. For the LS460, I’m quoted by Aviva £422 comp for 3k miles p.a. and £500 voluntary excess, with full NCD, for my Sussex postcode. Feels toppy as the IS250C is £272 for 5k miles and my wife’s 2013 Touareg is c. £480. Test drive of the LS460 next week but only at £1k over PX. 55 years buying and disposing of cars has shown that another beauty always comes  along.

Hi,

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like.

Regards,

Dan.

Couldn't agree a fair price on the private ‘07/80k LS460 so walked. The SC430 is a classic small limo, a delight to drive, closed or open. The IS250C is a hidden secret. Thanks for commenting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very very happy with the one-owner dark blue/light grey 2008 GS450h SE w/67k I bought this week. We drove home 250 miles at amazing 67 trip-average mph AND 37mpg! A true continent crosser with the best mid-range acceleration I’ve experienced since a rented Tesla Model S 70, AND far better inside-and-out build quality The tyre pressure warning was reset by the excellent Lexus Hedge End in an hour from my unbooked arrival, for just £72, presumably with a diagnostic OBD device. The weather has been ideal for the quiet-to-60mph sunroof.  Tyres are cheapies and all meaty, none older than 2016. Presumably DAB for LBC can be added via the Aux socket: I love the fidelity of the Mark Levinson sound, on Radio 3 and Classic FM. I have a lot more to learn about this terrific £7200 machine. It and the incomparable ‘03/72k SC430 V8 are now my Lexii fleet. The rare Cerulean/white ‘09 34k IS250C SE-L will go to the best home I can find, possibly to a member of my car club, for £9k, having depreciated £7.4k in 4 reliable years and 20k miles.

• Like 2

Enjoy the new car - for reference it may be worth investing in a Carista OBD dongle and then with their paid app you can reset TPMS issues and / or register new sensors yourself for much less than the dealer charge 🙂

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carista-Bluetooth-OBD2-Adapter-App/dp/B00YVHGTBM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551466442&sr=8-1&keywords=carista

• Thanks 1

Congrats on your new purchase and glad you are enjoying it.

i still can't make my mind up about selling my IS250c,i was out in it the other day with the roof down and it was a great place to be, but since we got our Mini Countryman Phev as a second car the IS barely gets used.

Good luck with the sale of yours twolexii hope it sells quick.

Exactly same deeling here. I’m now threelexii, ca’t bear to sell the IS250C. My wife loves her ‘13/62k Touareg 3L diesel so win-win: )