Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel additives eg Redex

Having read in the RX forum that @rayaans  had been advised to try some Redex  in his car to clear an injector issue, it set me thinking.

I bought my car in June so don't know how it had been driven previously , but the Sales Manager at the Dealership has implied that it previously belonged to the Captain of the local Golf Club and was mainly used locally. I drive mixed motorway and urban and do around 500 miles a week but of course the fuel system may be a bit 'gunged up ' from its previous life.

.I use a mixture of branded and Supermarket fuel at present, but mainly spermarket at the moment as it is around 6p a litre cheaper.

I thought i would give the Redex 'hybrid' fuel treatment a go. One bottle over 2 tankfuls was the dose I used.

I think I could smell it in the exhaust gases when the car was idling with the engine running.

3 tanks of fuel later what is my conclusion.

1. The fuel economy is about the same (unexpected as the weather has been much colder and there was some snow driving involved).

Average mpg according to my phone app over the last 1000 miles is between 31.79 and 32.95 only marginally less than my Autumn figures. 

2. The car definitely seems to be performing better in normal mode. Acceleration seems smoother and swifter.

I'll probably give it another bottle in a week or two to see what happens .........

It does clean the injectors out and does make a difference in a car used locally

Should point out that my son's car scraped the emission test for petrols on its MOT last year. This year I put in redex a week before so it had plenty of time to work and it sailed right through 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Farne said:

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but is there a special hybrid redex as opposed to the normal redex for petrol ?

There is but I just use the normal petrol one. After all, its the engine that the fuel goes into, not the electric motor!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links