Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Map update DVD for 2014 RX450H

Being my first Lexus (and hopefully not my last) I have a question which I hope can be answered. I'm interested in updating my navigation map on my RX450H and I am having trouble finding out which verion of DVD I need. Speaking with Lexus they immediately jumped into their £250 replacement, but give no mention of the disc version itself. I see many versions advertised and am seeking to get one of these at a considerably better price. Attached is the screen shot of my nav screen showing the model ID and current navigation. Incase the screen shot is not clear enough here are the two sets of code I have:

Model ID: 11LHENEU-BZ01

Navigation: VA00111A

Many thanks in advance,

Paul.

software version.jpg

I think you will find it is not a dvd system and has to be updated by the dealer hence why it is so expensive.This has been discussed before and some were getting it done for £150 through the dealers but most didn't bother like myself.

Its way too expensive and should be part of a major service imho.

Yes, it's one of my bugbears when almost all the major players now include free updates for life, Lexus still charge more than the cost of buying a decent Tom-Tom or Garmin Nuvi  (which incidentally appears to work more reliably than the Lexus satnav in the 2016 RX!).

When the time comes, I'll buy a Tom-Tom for £120 or update my Garmin and use that and pocket the change from what the sDealer would have charged.  To be fair to the dealerships, they get charged what they get charged and add the minimum labour rate in atop that, but even so, even £150 is steep let alone £250. I'm unsure of how the satnav system is updated but doubt that a technician would have to sit there for an hour or so whilst the maps update.

Hi ZOTTO - Tried that and could not find the right screen option to proceed and I tried them all. What I am getting when I hit update map is attached.

Hi Eame64 - My on-board system asks for either a DVD or USB to be inserted - The attached image shows the next phase when I hit update map.1695634981_updatemessage.thumb.jpg.4da90e73b9fe68a8a4bedf54eb9ecf21.jpg

Thanks GSLV6 - The thing that irritates me is not even being able to find out the year date mine is running with since none of the codes suggest anything near to 2014 onwards. Guess the mobile Android with Maps is a good backstop.

3 minutes ago, oweyes said:

Thanks GSLV6 - The thing that irritates me is not even being able to find out the year date mine is running with since none of the codes suggest anything near to 2014 onwards. Guess the mobile Android with Maps is a good backstop.

Yes, I usually plan my route on maps, and only when I'm close to where I need to be do I activate the satnav system (or my wife punches in the code so I can keep my eyes on the road).

Unless I'm missing something, the only way to enter a destination or postcode is by using the mouse thingy, which is very unwieldy and clunky. I can have my phone mounted, open up What 3 Words / Waze, enter my destination and have the first couple of miles done by the time I've faffed about with the Lexus nav.

I really struggle to understand why people bother, but if you really want to then it may be worth a look here, which at least lists the most current part number and other stuff if you look around the site:

https://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/Shop/Index

14 hours ago, oweyes said:

Being my first Lexus (and hopefully not my last) I have a question which I hope can be answered. I'm interested in updating my navigation map on my RX450H and I am having trouble finding out which verion of DVD I need. Speaking with Lexus they immediately jumped into their £250 replacement, but give no mention of the disc version itself. I see many versions advertised and am seeking to get one of these at a considerably better price. Attached is the screen shot of my nav screen showing the model ID and current navigation. Incase the screen shot is not clear enough here are the two sets of code I have:

Model ID: 11LHENEU-BZ01

Navigation: VA00111A

Many thanks in advance,

Paul.

software version.jpg

What you are showing here is the details of your "Software Update", and the I.D. for that; which is different to your map update version.

What you need to find is MAP DATA, if you search in under NAVI, or under SETUP > NAVi, you will find the details of your current version in this format:-

" MAP DATA
Map Version:
02 – 12 – 52
[2012 – 06 – 2]"

At least you will be able to check the date of your previous update - (as above - that had been updated 02/06/2012.)

I believe, as with the 2013 model, that your car will have the Multimedia Device:- 

EMVN Premium Navigation. As such, this version is not available on the https://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/Shop/Index - as it will tell you "to obtain, contact your dealer".

Take my word for it, for this model car, don't waste your time and money buying a 'spare' DVD from eBay, as with this system Lexus has (to me) an ultra-secure install - you will need a unique License number, generated by Lexus, unique to the car and the DVD.

The bottom line is, the genuine Lexus Update is expensive, but this is an expensive car - £50K + new.

I believe the Navigation system is an integral part of the car, and as such the update was worth doing for me.

If your Map Update version is the original (it could be showing a date in 2013), and if you will get benefit from the many detailed map updates over the last 5 years, it may be worthwhile for you.Some Lexus dealers will do the update at slightly better prices, so it is no harm checking around.

• Like 1

Why though would anyone want to pay such a sum to Lexus when a first rate off the shelf satnav (even ones with dashcams built in these days) can be had for less money?  Most after market units are likely to be less unwieldy in use than the Lexus system which I just haven't found to be that reliable.

It doesn't matter what price the car was new.   The map data to be provided is hardly an expensive software development exercise...you already have the software installed in the system, and are only asking for a map update.  To argue that "it costs what it does because the car is a premium product"  is an illogical arguement and makes no sense when you look at the technicalities of providing the update. To charge what they do is daylight robbery.  I can update my Garmin by plugging it into the PC and selecting the update I want.  I then leave it to do its thing.  My involvement is 5 minutes tops.  It may be a little more with a new dvd installation but we're not talking an hour, or even half an hour to press the buttons and follow the instructions.

On the on-board system, every time I've wanted to navigate to somewhere in Bristol for example, it shows a route which takes you round the houses for no apparent reason.  I wanted to find a commercial premises near Cribbs causeway a few months back  and instead of directing me off the M5 at J17 (CRibbs turn-off) it wanted me to come off much earlier and head through Fishponds!!  The "fastest route" was enabled.  I ignored it and it self corrected only when we'd managed to find ourselves a few hundred metres from where we needed to be.  It seems to do this quite regularly in this area especially.  No road alterations have been done in this area since my maps were installed (I think ours are 2015 updates on the 2016 car).

I have to agree with the majority and say that the nav built in to my 2010 RX is rubbish. I’ve used it twice and it just seemed very dim-witted, like every manufacturer system I’ve tried.

I run Waze on my Iphone with a magnetic holder so the phone sits just below the screen. Live accurate updates and I already own a smartphone so don’t need to purchase an additional device.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Thank you BlackCat I finally found it by going into the Navigation itself and found the version which is shown below. Now the question is to update or not. I have to say "Herbie" I find the mouse miles better than the touch screen system I had on my Range Rover, but everyone to their own I guess. I've yet to experience the bad side of it, but my backup is of course and Goggle Maps. I do agree with GLSV6 (and others) the Lexus price is really a disgrace when other (and perhaps more intellegent) free maps exist.

Thanks to all and I now know a lot about the mapping software 🙂

63274812_MapRevision.thumb.jpg.e5d11d155f0b21865c37f6e3aa7162a4.jpg

Update or not depends if you got any problems with your current maps.

In my case where I'm driving to Poland often map from 2012 was horrible as since then few hundred km of new motorways were build. In the UK there is no so much new roads in general. Only update I've noticed is new Luton airport approach but for sure there is many new developments added etc.

If you want to upgrade do as myself with few other GS owners and buy from there: https://toyotamaps.online/map-updates/toyota-lexus-navigation-gen7-update

Just double check your sat nav gen. You will also need to have 64GB USB drive. Maps are coming from some dealership in Russia and are legal. There is no labour cost as you will need to update by yourself. 

PS. I also like mouse pointer. Touch screen is MK3 GS and dial in Honda Accord were also nice. Maybe I'm just not too picky.

Maybe those who actually like the mouse pointer are either left-handed or ambidextrous but for me, a 61-year old severely right-handed person, the mouse pointer flies from one end of the screen to the other and trying to get it to the miniscule square of a letter or number that I want is damn-near impossible. Even if I could use it alright though, the system will still not allow full postcode entry and other menu items are counter-intuitive.

A stand-alone nav like a TomTom or Garmin gently leads you through the process and you don't even need to read the instruction manual because they are intuitive, whereas the Lexus system puts so many blocks in your way. Having said that though, I don't even use my TomTom these days because I'm so chuffed with the combination of What 3 Words and Waze on my phone that I doubt I'll use anything else now.

Gosh Herbie, I thought full postcode came in late noughties with Lexus?  My old GS didn't have it (2007) but the RX I have does have it.  Have to agree about fine tuning with the mouse.  I find it better than fumbling with touch screens but when you want to make small movements it can be infuriating.  We'll probably be told that we shouldn't play with it whilst on the move but sometimes there's no choice if you have to come from one screen to another.

I agree that the Lexus system is over complicated and unreliable. I don't have many in-house systems to compare it to except our current Honda which I think is based on a simplified Garmin system.  Easier to use but less information on tap.   One thing I ignore completely is the "live" traffic information on the Lexus one.  It can be over a day out of date!  I travelled to Cornwall last spring and whilst near Taunton, it was telling me to leave the motorway and take the scenic route due to delays ahead.  It also pinged up that there were delays on the A30 (due to roadworks).  I ignored it and had a trouble free trip with no delays.  The A30 roadworks had finished the day before and the M5 accident had been cleared hours earlier. It's just a rubbish system.

Conversely the Garmin stand alone uses bunched up cell phone signals to determine congestion ahead and is usually very reliable.  If it says 5 minute delay, then that's usually what you find.

Tom-Tom have the best system though which allows editing way-points on the fly without trying to redirect you back to one missed (it simply recalculates for you to the next point).

Lexus is using INRIX as a provider for live traffic data and as far I know most companies used the same source. I agree that in the UK it is not the most accurate (like queue warning at 10PM on M25 where road is empty). Nevertheless in some countries it does work well and is very useful.

As for the mouse like control I'm right handed and managing it. Just be gentle with it and support your wrist. Maybe with age it will come more difficult as I'm still in low 30s.

1 hour ago, GSLV6 said:

One thing I ignore completely is the "live" traffic information on the Lexus one.  It can be over a day out of date!

This is one very big advantage to using Waze. The users themselves can report problems such as accidents, potholes, queues or whatever in real time as you'll see from the picture below - someone reported a heavy traffic jam just two minutes ago and it's already live for others to see:

2019-02-01.thumb.png.d94f12c906ecfd53b705ced7fece9d76.png

You can adjust the "stickiness" of the mouse controller somewhere in the setup menu. This causes the pointer to jump to and hang on more securely to the item on the screen that you are aiming for. I think it is called haptic control.

JBP

2 hours ago, JBPRX400h said:

You can adjust the "stickiness" of the mouse controller somewhere in the setup menu. This causes the pointer to jump to and hang on more securely to the item on the screen that you are aiming for. I think it is called haptic control.

JBP

Thanks for the info John but like I said above, my phone does a far better job than the Lexus nav ever could so I'll be sticking with that 😉

Many thanks go to "Hangie" for giving me the heads-up on a website that DOES allow one to upgrade without the high expense of a formal Lexus one. Let me explain...First off I have now found the my 2014 RX450h has a HDD and the map update can only be done either via a DVD or USB stick. If you go to the site in question the charge for getting this update (1st June 2018) is $99USD, which equates to around the £78GBP mark and I can accept that versus a £250 Lexus charge. Their form asks for various bits of info plus an image of the Map Data, which gives them the abillity to generate the required key code for your Lexus. Their download consists of 5 part zip files, which when unpacked will give you a directory called "mapupdate". This directory gets loaded onto your USB stick, which was the only point of contention for me since trying to do a FAT32 format on a 64GB USB is not that straightforward and I resorted to using a [free] piece of code called "fat32format" down at the DOS level of my laptop. Once done and copied across you plug in the USB, go to Map Update on the Lexus menu and after some 90+minutes (yes it takes a long time, but you can start and stop the SUV inbetween times since it picks up from where it left off) you are presented with a brand new Lexus map update. So there it is everyone and I am one well pleased chap 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oweyes said:

which was the only point of contention for me since trying to do a FAT32 format on a 64GB USB is not that straightforward and I resorted to using a [free] piece of code called "fat32format" down at the DOS level of my laptop

Glad you got it sorted Paul, but just for future reference, it's very easy to do. When you plug the USB drive in it should automatically open up file explorer (if not, just open it manually). 

Right-click on the USB drive which opens a context menu and then left-click on Format, then choose which file system you want. This works with almost any version of Windows.

2019-02-02.thumb.png.d77f7708f70f82ff1fa946873160a128.png1799504591_2019-02-02(1).thumb.png.dfae195a5b631b996e19b254018f0ad6.png

Hi Herbie - That was in fact the first thing I tried and due to the USB being over the 32GB mark I could only format NTFS or exFAT, both of which this upgrade site does not support. I therefore had to search for a solution and found the "fat32fomat" - Even with DOS under Win10 using standard format commands it came up with errors. perhaps you were using an earlier version I just don';t know. Bottom line is it al worked out well in the end and wothout your help I'd still be in the dark. Now I only have to install my Nextbase 380GW dashcam, should be fun!!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/2/2019 at 1:49 PM, oweyes said:

Many thanks go to "Hangie" for giving me the heads-up on a website that DOES allow one to upgrade without the high expense of a formal Lexus one. Let me explain...First off I have now found the my 2014 RX450h has a HDD and the map update can only be done either via a DVD or USB stick. If you go to the site in question the charge for getting this update (1st June 2018) is $99USD, which equates to around the £78GBP mark and I can accept that versus a £250 Lexus charge. Their form asks for various bits of info plus an image of the Map Data, which gives them the abillity to generate the required key code for your Lexus. Their download consists of 5 part zip files, which when unpacked will give you a directory called "mapupdate". This directory gets loaded onto your USB stick, which was the only point of contention for me since trying to do a FAT32 format on a 64GB USB is not that straightforward and I resorted to using a [free] piece of code called "fat32format" down at the DOS level of my laptop. Once done and copied across you plug in the USB, go to Map Update on the Lexus menu and after some 90+minutes (yes it takes a long time, but you can start and stop the SUV inbetween times since it picks up from where it left off) you are presented with a brand new Lexus map update. So there it is everyone and I am one well pleased chap 🙂

Hi there Oweyes, would you be able to give me the details of the company you used for this update please. I have a 2014 RX 450H and would love to do the update on it. Many thanks