Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good evening guys

Having got my new celsior I have come up against a thingy, in the 430 I had a tape player which was well annoying but I simply bought one of those crappy tape to aux devices and just put up with the god awful sound.

I have a mindisc player in my car which I could not afford to get when they were still making them and now I can afford one I don't want one in my car so I was thinking about fitting a double din android unit in and doing without the minidisc has anyone fitted one and does anyone have any idea if we can get a fascia for it as I don't want it to look like some 17 year old kid has just gotten his hands on a vauxhall corsa and decided he needs a good stereo to help him pick up a girl from the local supermarket car park hot hatch meet next  friday night.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-Android-8-1-Double-DIN-7-Car-Stereo-GPS-Sat-Nav-DAB-OBD2-WiFi-4G-Radio/332387696445?hash=item4d63d9bf3d:g:3u8AAOSwAopcEfpe:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Thanks for you help guys 

I seem to remember seeing a couple of YouTube videos on this, and I think there's a surround you can get from the US that matches the grey.  A bit of research and digging I think.  I'm interested in something like this myself so I'll let you do all the hard work first!!

• Like 2

For music in the car I bought one of the Bluetooth/FM transmitters.
You can either plug in a USB stick with yer music on it, or else connect your phone via Bluetooth.
I do the latter and using Folder Player (app) for Android the sound quality is good enough for prog-rock and thrash/death metal (yes, I know, what can I say, I'm an ageing Punk).

I plugged the transmitter into the cigarette lighter socket inside the armrest box so it's out of sight. Was hugely expensive at around £15 delivered. 😉
I use this one but there are plenty of other designs and layouts out there.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VICTSING-Transmitter-Handsfree-Charging-Display-Grey/dp/B01K4R8RLM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549036079&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+bluetooth+adapter+for+car

The only problem I have with it is because it's in the armrest box, I have to open the lid whilst making a handsfree call as it uses the microphone in the transmitter, but I don't use handsfree very often. If I needed to use it more often I'd plug it into the socket in the ashtray.

Tbh I have not even thought about using a fm transmitter as I tried one when they 1st came out ... ooo back in the day and it was rubbish however time has moved on, having said that I do believe that the imported radio is only good for radio 2 and It's Nirvana for me George :)

I have bought the unit now so I will keep you updated Phil... well when it stops snowing I will post it on here somewhere

Thanks for the help guys

6 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

For music in the car I bought one of the Bluetooth/FM transmitters.
You can either plug in a USB stick with yer music on it, or else connect your phone via bluetooth.
I do the latter and using Folder Player (app) for Android the sound quality is good enough for prog-rock and thrash/death metal (yes, I know, what can I say, I'm an ageing Punk).

I plugged the transmitter into the cigarette lighter socket inside the armrest box so it's out of sight. Was hugely expensive at around £15 delivered. 😉
I use this one but there are plenty of other designs and layouts out there.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VICTSING-Transmitter-Handsfree-Charging-Display-Grey/dp/B01K4R8RLM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549036079&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+bluetooth+adapter+for+car

The only problem I have with it is because it's in the armrest box, I have to open the lid whilst making a handsfree call as it uses the microphone in the transmitter, but I don't use handsfree very often. If I needed to use it more often I'd plug it into the socket in the ashtray.

Now you see, you've lost me! In car technology (apart from dash cams) confuses me.  And no offence, but you and me on a journey together would definitely argue over who's music we play.  Surely the LS should only be allowed to be subjected to lilting tones as we waft.....or possibly a bit of Hendrix!

On 1/31/2019 at 9:51 PM, skyway said:

in the 430 I had a tape player which was well annoying

I still play and occasionally buy secondhand tapes ................  it's a brilliant alternative I find  :biggrin:

Malc

• 3 weeks later...

I have a tape player that works, a 6 disc CD-changer that works, and a radio that works.
I can also play MP3s from a USB key or from a MicroSD card, and I can play any audio sent from any Bluetooth or 3.5mm headphone jack fitted device.

As for the music, not a huge fan of Hendrix mostly because I've heard it all so much over the years.
From that era I prefer Floyd/Genesis/Who/Zeppelin/Yes and especially Hawkwind as they are still making new music.
On the noisier side it's Nile, Bolt Thrower, Obituary, etc. :punk:

I have one of those little FM transmitters but it has a stalk. Only problem with the SD Card is that you can’t select the tracks, I find, or perhaps I’m not using it properly.

Will try the Bluetooth sometime to my phone.

Sadly, my Sony Walkman MP3 player which will play through it, has a screen that has almost died and I’m unable to see the tracks to select. Trying to find the start sequence is difficult, though its set to “random play” if it can be found. Annoying.

The six CD player is still a useful alternative.

Music wise apart from rap which I never play I enjoy all kinds of pop music from The Everly Brothers to Ozzie Osbourne but for eight hour journeys I most enjoy “The very best of the Platters”.

We have a couple of Film theme songs CD’s  which are good,  to  “A Good Year” and “Beaute Volee” - RIP Albert Finney who had a great cameo part in the first of those.

Just at the moment I can’t get the song “The Writings on the Wall” out of my head.  Sometimes a song will just keep coming up in my head day and night which is a bit disturbing. Eventually it will go, so I mustn’t play that Bond theme when the CD arrives – not for at least a month! 

There,  laid bare my taste in music !

On 2/21/2019 at 10:29 AM, runsgrateasanut said:

I have one of those little FM transmitters but it has a stalk. Only problem with the SD Card is that you can’t select the tracks, I find, or perhaps I’m not using it properly.

Will try the Bluetooth sometime to my phone.

Sadly, my Sony Walkman MP3 player which will play through it, has a screen that has almost died and I’m unable to see the tracks to select. Trying to find the start sequence is difficult, though its set to “random play” if it can be found. Annoying.

The six CD player is still a useful alternative.

Music wise apart from rap which I never play I enjoy all kinds of pop music from The Everly Brothers to Ozzie Osbourne but for eight hour journeys I most enjoy “The very best of the Platters”.

We have a couple of Film theme songs CD’s  which are good,  to  “A Good Year” and “Beaute Volee” - RIP Albert Finney who had a great cameo part in the first of those.

Just at the moment I can’t get the song “The Writings on the Wall” out of my head.  Sometimes a song will just keep coming up in my head day and night which is a bit disturbing. Eventually it will go, so I mustn’t play that Bond theme when the CD arrives – not for at least a month! 

There,  laid bare my taste in music !

This is a bit of nostalgia that I love, the original tape player in the rear with unused earphones. I can't imagine anyone ever using it again (maybe it never has been) but it's great to have it and see how quickly things have moved on. It's a bit like having the original toolkit, unlikely to be used but great to have it.

IMG_20190222_113406775.jpg

IMG_20190222_113520873.jpg

When I bought my 2007 rx400h two weeks ago I found this attached to a bracket in the glovebox. Takes an SD Card, USB stick or Auxiliary input and is wired into the Mark Levison entertainment system. 😎 It also has an Iphone cable that charges, dunno if it plays music from the Iphone though (don't have music on my iPhone).

Currently have an SD Card in with the latest Ibiza house tunes for this year, sound quality is fantastic. 😏

Ironically, as a Professional DJ I rarely play music in the car, get enough at work 🤣

Still, good to checkout new tunes though.

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG