Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just taken my wife to the railway station.

In her RX350, snow button on and her Nokian Weatherproofs.

Could get through anything!

Side roads bad - felt like a sunny summer day!

🤗

• Like 2

This was the view outside this morning for us.

Minor roads buried, drifts on main roads on high ground and all untreated side roads under 5 or 6 inches of snow.  Used a motorbike hot air dryer to blast the snow off the car (could have been made for the job!), was one of the first vehicles on our untreated side road to make it onto the mains road this morning.  Drove the Mrs in to town to do the weekly shop, came back and will be firing up the workshop heater ready for a late work start this morning!

Even on the Avon ZX7 summer tyres, the rx450 had no problems.  Left it in snow mode and it pulled us out of a few iffy hard packed snow areas, slowly but surely.  Over virgin snow it's a doddle.  Just had to be careful as some of the kerbs weren't visible!

20190201_094913.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Just had to be careful as some of the kerbs weren't visible!

Amazing isn't it, how roads and junctions one drives every day suddenly become totally unfamiliar? Trying to judge the kerb even when walking isn't easy. Nearly came a cropper a couple of times!!

• Like 1

Yes, its amazing how easy it is to get disorientated.  Mind you a few drivers this morning drove me nuts.  One decided that she didn't want to turn off the road into a car park to wait for someone she was picking up, and promptly parked her car in the middle of the main road through town at some pedestrian lights blocking the road for everyone else. A brainless family, LED by "dad" then stepped out 20ft in front of us without looking (they were only 20 yds from the same pedestrian crossing!) and I thought for a moment even at 10mph, I was going to lock up and take them all out as they looked around and just stood there!  A few choice words of advice were given!  

Another parked across the turning into where we live to make a phone call, engine running, and partially blocked the whole turning. Some people shouldn't be allowed out behind the wheel this weather.  Roads are seldom so bad (unless it's hard packed ice) that it prevents a competent driver getting about here in the South West.  It's always the drivers who haven't a clue how to drive in these conditions that cause the problems.  If they lack that much confidence or are that inept then they shouldn't be out and about creating unnecessary hazards for those who are competent and careful.  

• Like 5

Reminds me of when I had my old ratty Vauxhall Vectra in the snow years ago. A VW 4x4 driver was trying to get up a slight icy/snowy incline using the Jeremy Clarkson method (more power!). He was making no progress on this slight incline and spinning all 4 wheels. In fact he went backwards more than forwards.

I got fed up and pulled out around this idiot in my ratty front wheel drive car and drove past with non-spinning wheels gripping the snow and ice. He just looked out of his window dumbfounded...

This weather does bring out the more thoughtless and inconsiderate drivers.

Mind you, my driving instructor was a bit of a comedian. On my lessons where it had snowed, he used to get me to drive up onto the moors and then tried to find the worst icy hill for me to climb. I generally got up all of them. Those were the days back when we had real snow. 8ft banks either side of the road.

• Like 3