Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This may be the one - check it against Colins data

A bit cheaper

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-LS-400-SALOON-1989-1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-REMANUFACTURED-ALTERNATOR/261619792445?hash=item3ce9c13a3d:g:uNIAAOSwY45UNNom:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

25 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Iv'e ordered that one,it should be the right one.fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

The two t..ts i bought the car off knew the altinator was f..ked,there was no warning light on,i won car on eBay £820.00,11 month MOT.so far it's needed an altinator,radio needs looking at,thats probably knackered,spare wheel tyre illegal,one back tyre illegal,steering wheel skewif..I think iv'e been had.I think i'll take it to my mot place and ask them to check it over..i love the car thou,it's only done 100,025 miles with last owner 17 years,

7 hours ago, lazzlo amundo said:

I think iv'e been had.

buying a older Ls400 ( or any car at auction ) is a bit of a hit and miss affair I'd have thought without having your ' tame ' engineer giving it the once over and a test drive prior to buying

sorry for your loss however ................ many or most Ls400's at this age have been scrapped i would think ........  the MOT is just that snapshot in time when the car has been presented to the Tester .....  who knows what a selling owner might do with the car immediately post MOT :Jumpy:

And the 'biggy ' had to be to ask when the cambelt and waterpump were last changed ..... and seeing the valid receipt for the work

Best of luck with it all

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

buying a older Ls400 ( or any car at auction ) is a bit of a hit and miss affair I'd have thought without having your ' tame ' engineer giving it the once over and a test drive prior to buying

sorry for your loss however ................ many or most Ls400's at this age have been scrapped i would think ........  the MOT is just that snapshot in time when the car has been presented to the Tester .....  who knows what a selling owner might do with the car immediately post MOT :Jumpy:

And the 'biggy ' had to be to ask when the cambelt and waterpump were last changed ..... and seeing the valid receipt for the work

Best of luck with it all

Malc

When i saw the car on eBay,it only had a few hours to go.What grabbed me was the name"LEXUS"and "V8" i just can't help myself.The good bit is,the engine and gearbox are sweet,bad bit is i haven't seen underneath the car yet.The uplifter,it will soon be spring.Over the years i have amassed an array of equipment,welders,compressor,spraying equipment,and a big red f..k off tool box.The down side is,i have to work outside.I'm getting on a bit but i will never surrender,i wil only pay for somethig when i can't do it myself.Don't get the wrong impression of me,i have no money but i have tools and time.PS please excuse my grammer,i spent most of my school days playing on a scrap yard.I'm only educated in life,and it's been a hard life.

best wishes with it all ...  whatever the outcome you might find that the engine and gearbox have a great life ( and maybe quite some value ££££  ) outside of it's present shell.

But if the cambelt snaps on you .......  and the early one's don't cause catastrophic engine damage but the later one's do however ...  I don't know what category your's is in tbh

others on here might know  ???

Malc

• Like 1

Mine is 1993,last owner 17 years,it's been stood for 5 or 6 years.iv'e got 11 months mot time to play with it.Hears my advisorys,structure is corroded but structural rigity is not significantly redused(all over),o/s track rod end ball joint has slight play,o/s front upper suspention arm ball joint has slight play,n/s front exhaust has minor leak of gasses'steering box has slight free play at the steering wheel.

2 hours ago, lazzlo amundo said:

When i saw the car on ebay,it only had a few hours to go.What grabbed me was the name"LEXUS"and "V8" i just can't help myself.The good bit is,the engine and gearbox are sweet,bad bit is i haven't seen underneath the car yet.The uplifter,it will soon be spring.Over the years i have amassed an array of equipment,welders,compressor,spraying equipment,and a big red f..k off tool box.The down side is,i have to work outside.I'm getting on a bit but i will never surrender,i wil only pay for somethig when i can't do it myself.Don't get the wrong impression of me,i have no money but i have tools and time.PS please excuse my grammer,i spent most of my school days playing on a scrap yard.I'm only educated in life,and it's been a hard life.

Man after my own heart, car mechanics ain't brain surgery! If I think I can tackle a job then I will do hours of 'homework' trying to find out everything possible on said subject and then decide if The benefit out weighs the effort. There are very few jobs I won't tackle, I have built double storey extension on my house, done a loft conversion, detatched garage and just knocked through diner/kitchen wall and fitted new kitchen! Maintain all (5) cars at my home and over the years have amassed tools for every trade to achieve the above. It is real sense of satisfaction when you can stand back and look at your achievements. I like working on cars and as all the hard work as all ready been done by the research and development department when they designed the car and it can be really straightforward sometimes ( depending of manufacture of course- Fiat and Lexus on my fleet, so both extremes of quality and build there!)

so best of luck putting your hard earned knowledge and effort into making this new project something to be proud of, even non-petrol heads will take a second look when she's all up together and shiny!

cheers Paul m.

ps just noticed that you say it has been stood for 5+ years! So bearing that in mind I think the cam belt needs to be on your list of things to do. Service life of most is between 60-80,000 or 10 years, 

• Like 1

It will be a non-interference engine so cam belt breaking won't destroy the engine from what I've read but may let you down at just the wrong moment. You may have a few expenses to come but it will be worth it to drive a V8 and not your run of the mill Car.  All those things listed I've had to deal with and not surprising as a 25 year young beast.

What colour is the Car out of interest and did you check the MOT History status online before buying? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texas said:

Man after my own heart, car mechanics ain't brain surgery! If I think I can tackle a job then I will do hours of 'homework' trying to find out everything possible on said subject and then decide if The benefit out weighs the effort. There are very few jobs I won't tackle, I have built double storey extension on my house, done a loft conversion, detatched garage and just knocked through diner/kitchen wall and fitted new kitchen! Maintain all (5) cars at my home and over the years have amassed tools for every trade to achieve the above. It is real sense of satisfaction when you can stand back and look at your achievements. I like working on cars and as all the hard work as all ready been done by the research and development department when they designed the car and it can be really straightforward sometimes ( depending of manufacture of course- Fiat and Lexus on my fleet, so both extremes of quality and build there!)

so best of luck putting your hard earned knowledge and effort into making this new project something to be proud of, even non-petrol heads will take a second look when she's all up together and shiny!

cheers Paul m.

Thanks Paul.Classic cars and steam trains are in my blood,all part of me growing up.It's just come to me,my classic jap bike is a Yamaha VMAX 1200,145 bhp,0-60 3.5 sec,standing 1/4 has been done in less than 10 sec.Iv'e got some photoes of it's transformation from death to life.I love that bike.

14 minutes ago, Texas said:

cheers Paul m.

ps just noticed that you say it has been stood for 5+ years! So bearing that in mind I think the cam belt needs to be on your list of things to do. Service life of most is between 60-80,000 or 10 years, 

I'm just waiting for this cold snap to break,i know the list is long.

11 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

It will be a non-interference engine so cam belt breaking won't destroy the engine from what I've read but may let you down at just the wrong moment. You may have a few expenses to come but it will be worth it to drive a V8 and not your run of the mill Car.  All those things listed I've had to deal with and not surprising as a 25 year young beast.

What colour is the Car out of interest and did you check the MOT History status online before buying? 

It's a two tone,gold and dark at the bottom,i'll post some pictures up when i get moving.ps the mot status is't bad i dont think,last few years low milage use.

Didn't know how true it would be when I said 'Man after my own heart'

I have two old jap bikes that need some TLC (when I have time!!!) 

1982 (from new in the crate) Yamaha IT465j

1984 (Italian import)  Suzuki DR600s

And regarding steam trains I service them all over the country with a 20,000 litre 8 wheeled water bowser!

paul m.

image.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Texas said:

And regarding steam trains I service them all over the country with a 20,000 litre 8 wheeled water bowser!

paul m.

Wow, A steam train and jap bike fan,were a dying breed regarding steam.You lucky,lucky man.i'm gonna pm you with something when i find it,it's from 1963.

13 minutes ago, Texas said:

paul m.

image.jpeg

Jesus man,i'm moved.literally filling up.

1 hour ago, Texas said:

paul m.

image.jpeg

Iv'e brought a few jap bikes back to life,1984 Interstate Honda 1200 Goldwing,naked.I did a 1982 Kawasaki GT 750 Spectre american import,that was a rare bike i shouldn't have sold that one.Sometimes on summer evenings i'd be doing something all night,it's a lot of time and tlc but the self satisfaction when your project is finished .is fantastic.It wears off quick dont you think,you have to get another project going,it's an addiction.