Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Mk4 needs a new coolant reservoir cap. It’s now pushing 90k miles and 19 years old. Fits ok but the unit rattles...

Also I’m loosing coolant, not a lot but I suspect it’s more on cold short journeys...the cap is probably venting over time. I haven’t topped it up for a while. No leaks and the water pump is not too old.

I’ve tried to replace before with a First Line part, it didn’t fit. Just would not go on. I didn’t like the quality at all either. This time, I bought a QH part checking again the fit to spec.

It didn’t fit. No way. It’s made for other applications and I don’t know if the Mk3 is different...adding the Mk4 to the list is incorrect.

I’m hoping to source one from Lexus Birmingham as they give a discount...it’ll be £35 instead of £42. Quite a strong amount.

I reckon I got a seal as I applied Vaseline to the contact surface and rubber seal...undoing it the next morning there was a short hiss of released pressure...no I don’t believe it’s gasket failure pressure...😁

Did a fabulous 200+mile trip on Saturday and as usual the mainly motorway mileage was eaten up in comfort.

Anyone had this issue?

Almost 20 years for a 'moving' part exposed to hot coolant/steam with a critical rubber component ain't bad in my book. £35 instead of £42 is a bonus but I agree £25,£20 or £15 would be better still! But you know it's gonna fit and might last for another 20 Years!!!!! Can't see QH or FirstLine coming close in that sort of quality ( something gotta give for the lower prices) that's if they fitted!!

Paul M.

• Like 1

mine went on my Mk1 about 12 years ago now, the car would have been 15 yrs old .............. cost me £6 at local factor who had one in stock so I suspect it fits other marques too

Malc

• Like 1

Simon, when mine went pop I just visited the local Factor and they produced the right match for the job from their store.

At least by doing it in person you'll no doubt get the right part ......  and as I said, it's quite likely that other marques use exactly the same item

Malc

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sam case said:

My 1997 400 has done 174,840 miles and I have had no problems.

that's the problem with more modern cars, there's not much longevity .................:Jumpy:

I jest,............ mine's on 218k miles and I think it's the original cap too

Malc

Longevity is a problem, and I can only wonder if in 50 years time on Car S.O.S there will some attempt to restore an LS, but it will be a short program invovling a quick rub down with a cloth, replace the water reservoir float indicator, check the boot seal, the filler cap, the cam belt and waterpump and then hand it back to the owner. This would leave the rest of the program to wonder whether it is worth restoring a 1993 Alfa Romeo GTV.

I'll be up in heaven (maybe) watching Even More 4 (or whatever it will be called).:hypocrite:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1