Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squealing when driving - brake and it goes away - road salt???

Just noticed an intermittent squealing noise coming from the car when driving. Touch the brake pedal and it goes away. So obviously disc or pad related. Did notice a hell of a lot of salt on the discs. Could this be the culprit?? Surely not a wear indicator considering I just bought it a month ago!!!!

Wait til the rains come! ( won't be long we are in England!) and it might subside alternatively get in there with a hose pipe as try to rinse any possible salt residue away. Could be a sticking caliper slide pin not allowing the pads to fall away from disc after a braking event, might be good idea to get these pins greased at next service as a special because it is not a point in any service schedule. ( the IS250 is prone to sticking slide pins and Lexus will normally recommend changing caliper @ £300+)

Paul m.

Thanks. Rain due tomorrow so proof of pudding will be forthcoming sooner than later. 

Car has 3 year main dealer Lexus warranty on and was only bought a month ago. Will contact the dealer to report the issue. There's always the possibility of the sticking pins and I'd expect them to sort this if so. May just be a consequence of the council being very liberal with their salting!

21 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

given the circumstances it probably is grit/dirt stuck in there.

I would second that. I've had an occasional stone chipping get caught up somewhere and it can make all sorts of squealing noises that only go away under braking. I have found that a short, sharp, violent blast of reversing can be a suitable cure, having checked the mirrors first of course!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still have an intermittent squealing noise similar to what I had before. There is the odd squeak from the brakes when applying all low speed too. Funnily enough looking at the cars history on the lexus portal, there is a reference to 'investigate squeaking brakes' around two years ago. Wonder what the situation would be for a potential resolution under warranty? I guess there's nothing actually 'wrong' with the brakes, as squeaking is semi common if you are walking next to the road. Just a bit irritating really. I guess the only resolution would be new pads or discs of which would be quite an ask under warranty.

Will try the quick 'reverse blast' in a local car park tonight too. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links