Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ISF on 18inch Track Wheels

Evening all, not posted for quite some time!

After many a night researching track wheel fitment & tyres, I finally got round to ordering and fitting my new wheels and tyres, for what I hope to be a great year ahead, exploring some of the bigger more open circuits down south (I'm from Scotland, and we only have Knockhill).

I settled on square 18x9.5 and chose to play it safe, opting for an ET45 offset. I didn't fancy the idea of rolling arches/buffing expensive tyres on the body with a lower 'pokier' offset. 

Tyres are Michelin CUP2s in 265/35/18 As it turns out, this is the widest CUP2 available in 18inch. Originally, I really wanted 275, but now they're on, I'm glad I went for 265 as the fitment is pretty close. 

Along with the wheels and tyres, I've fitted Carbotech XP10's pads front and back, braded lines with performance fluid. 

Last year I fitted Penske two way adjustable shocks from RR Racing with their URSS, and since have been desperate to take the car to the next level with proper rubber and pads. I think (hope!) its going to be an incredibly capable package. 

I've attached a few pics.

I speak with Jean-Luc who also tracks his car. Anyone else on the forum track their ISF and could hopefully share their experiences?

Stevie

IMG_3839.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

• Like 4

I tracked mine. It was very capable on ‘big power’ tracks like Silverstone. Huge grunt and the brakes never showed any hint of fading, even when standing on them from almost 140mph at the end of Hangar Straight into Stowe. I was on standard tyres but as mine had a H&S exhaust, I was a bit restricted which circuits would let me play - it was rather loud! Fuel economy dropped to 4-6mpg and as long as I restricted myself to about 15 mins at a time, the tyres held up! I have no doubt that on twisty, technical circuits however, my S2000 would run rings around it - I found the ISF to be fairly nose-heavy, but easily neutralised with a bit of gas. Mine was an early ‘08 without the mechanical LSD - I can’t say I noticed. I was having far too much fun. It all came to an end about an hour before the end of the day last time though, when I picked up a screw in the rear left! D’oh!

Looking forward to reading about your experiences! 

7B234100-8A06-4166-BF97-E092146D0DE3.jpeg

32BCB32A-4168-4E54-8F10-EC791028587D.jpeg

251EC05A-4FF3-4657-8C26-1878724A8583.jpeg

• Like 1

@Steviebee I too have tracked my 2008 ISF at the Nurburgring Nordschleife

Completed around 40 laps over course of 2 weekends and she never missed a beat mechanically.

My only issues were...

4 laps and the tank was empty.

Rear tyres overheated so had to tweak pressures as most of my laps were completed with 3 passengers who wanted a ride.

On last trip the OEM Brembos discs started to give up the ghost and spider cracks appeared which began to cheesegrate the OEM pads 😞

Next trip is in June so hopefully she performs just as well (discs and pads replaced obvs)

good luck with yours 🙂

2 hours ago, mrfunex said:

I tracked mine. It was very capable on ‘big power’ tracks like Silverstone. Huge grunt and the brakes never showed any hint of fading, even when standing on them from almost 140mph at the end of Hangar Straight into Stowe. I was on standard tyres but as mine had a H&S exhaust, I was a bit restricted which circuits would let me play - it was rather loud! Fuel economy dropped to 4-6mpg and as long as I restricted myself to about 15 mins at a time, the tyres held up! I have no doubt that on twisty, technical circuits however, my S2000 would run rings around it - I found the ISF to be fairly nose-heavy, but easily neutralised with a bit of gas. Mine was an early ‘08 without the mechanical LSD - I can’t say I noticed. I was having far too much fun. It all came to an end about an hour before the end of the day last time though, when I picked up a screw in the rear left! D’oh!

What db ratings do you get with the H&S exhaust?

Silverstone never actually tested me, but it was far too loud for Goodwood (98dB) - I think it came in at 103dB at a constant 2/3 or 3/4 of maximum revs. It was far louder on the blips on downchanges. Something to bear in mind! 

9 hours ago, mrfunex said:

Mr Funex, thats all positive stuff. I too have the H&S Exhaust, and its far from quiet!! Does sound good though. Agree on the car being nose heavy. I found quite a bit turn in over steer on the brakes, but quite enjoyed that aspect of the cars handling. With the two way adjustables, I should be able to dial some of that out by turning up the compression damping at the front to help cut down some of the weight transfer under braking. One thing I was impressed about when I had the car on, was the balance. Very predictable and easily caught and balanced on the throttle. 

8 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

@Steviebee I too have tracked my 2008 ISF at the Nurburgring Nordschleife

Completed around 40 laps over course of 2 weekends and she never missed a beat mechanically.

My only issues were...

4 laps and the tank was empty.

Rear tyres overheated so had to tweak pressures as most of my laps were completed with 3 passengers who wanted a ride.

On last trip the OEM Brembos discs started to give up the ghost and spider cracks appeared which began to cheesegrate the OEM pads 😞

Next trip is in June so hopefully she performs just as well (discs and pads replaced obvs)

good luck with yours 🙂

40 laps! Good lad!! I'm sure I've watched some of your footage on YT? One of your videos (the one where you where swearing quite a bit! lol) has over 10k views! 4 Laps till empty!! Wholly ****, thats like back in my Evo days! Still, fairly heavy car with 5.0L, can't really expect much else. Worth every L of fuel though 🙂

My plan is just to run the std discs and replace as needed. I've learned money is mostly better spent on the best pads you can buy, and use up std discs to keep the costs down. U have a race prepared MINI Cooper S and the discs are 20ea. but the pads are 140.00! Works a treat.

7 hours ago, Martin F said:

Looks nice and the wheels match well. 

Will be interesting to hear your feedback after a few track sessions. 

Thanks Martin! I've had the car out once in standard trim, and it was v good. A bit lairy, but predictably so being a big power RWD car on such a small tyre. I'll post up a video of one of the laps. 

Track outing a few years ago. Car stock apart from H&S Exhaust and an intake. Tyres - Michelin Pilot Super Sport - OEM size. TCS off. 

Expecting the car to be a little less lairy with the latest mods/tyres.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

Yep.  That was me swearing a bit.  1st trip in the ISF.

I got a bit quicker on the 2nd trip 🙂

Certainly did Sir! That was a great watch!! Those pesky Megs are quick though eh! 'Rings full of them. Well, before they end up, upside down! What tyres? And just standard pads/suspension? 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 9:57 AM, mrfunex said:

h, when I picked up a screw in the rear left! D’oh!

I was always under impression that screws doesn't "screw themselves in"... not so funny enough.... I had 3 screws in last 2 years and all the times to the same tire - rear left! Last couple of days my car is sitting on the same beautiful yellow-ish spare. The view I am getting used to - ohhh.. and one nearly new Michelin PS4 going to the bin.

2 hours ago, Steviebee said:

Certainly did Sir! That was a great watch!! Those pesky Megs are quick though eh! 'Rings full of them. Well, before they end up, upside down! What tyres? And just standard pads/suspension? 

I must add I had 3 passengers as well 🙂

yeah the Meganes are a bit quick.

i think I had Contact Sport 6's on for the YouTube videos but with the wider sizes fitted.

Everything else standard on 8:31 video.

Lichelle (My ISF) currently has MPS4S tyres all round in wider size so will be running those in a few months around the ring.

She will also have RR Racing USRS fitted, yellow stuff pads replacing current OEMs and the Intake and exhaust that are still currently fitted (so she sounds better on the Go-Pro) 😉

• 4 years later...

Apologies for the thread necro, but I'm looking to source some 18" wheels for my ISF and reliable information is hard to find !! So, Steviebee if you are still around, would you be good enough to provide the name of the wheels you fitted to your blue car and the width/offsets you chose for each end, They look sturdy, and as I'm not actually planning to track the car, weight etc is not an issue. My plans are to install B6 Bilsteins with the OEM springs (or possibly Swift springs) and I want the 18's to try and improve the ride to be similar to that on my recently departed E92 mSport. 

All comments and suggestions welcome :)

Cheers... 

18" x 9.5 work. Offsets around 35 to 40.

If you want to improve the handling, try looking into RR Racings USRS or at the very least get new ones from the GSF or RCF.

https://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower-Control-Arm-LCA-Bushing-p/isfxlca001.htm

These make you feel like you're in a totally different car. Best handling upgrade I've done and I've done a few!

Thanks Rich... I'll have to get under the car to see if the bushes have already been upgraded by the PO. Doing the research it seems that getting 18" wheels means getting custom forged "racing" wheels and they are kind of pricey !!! So I am also looking at how I can improve the ride retaining the existing 19" WORK Kiwami wheels (8.5 35P and 9.5 38P). Car is on HKS coilovers with 35 series front. and 30 series rear, and that no doubt is part of the problem.

At the moment the ride is fine on smooth tarmac but as soon as the surface changes to anything rough the crashing and banging drives me crazy !!! I'm not expecting to get a limo ride, just to quieten it down so that every bump is not accompanied by banging and rattling suggesting that the wheels are about to fall off :wacko: 

I figure that as the Bilsteins will raise the car a little I will be able to put taller tires on the 19"s without getting any rubbing. If that works it may be an easier solution than trying to get hold of 18 inch wheels. Lots of options to consider  :confused1: 

Cheers...

13 minutes ago, Jon Dee said:

Thanks Rich... I'll have to get under the car to see if the bushes have already been upgraded by the PO. Doing the research it seems that getting 18" wheels means getting custom forged "racing" wheels and they are kind of pricey !!! So I am also looking at how I can improve the ride retaining the existing 19" WORK Kiwami wheels (8.5 35P and 9.5 38P). Car is on HKS coilovers with 35 series front. and 30 series rear, and that no doubt is part of the problem.

At the moment the ride is fine on smooth tarmac but as soon as the surface changes to anything rough the crashing and banging drives me crazy !!! I'm not expecting to get a limo ride, just to quieten it down so that every bump is not accompanied by banging and rattling suggesting that the wheels are about to fall off :wacko: 

I figure that as the Bilsteins will raise the car a little I will be able to put taller tires on the 19"s without getting any rubbing. If that works it may be an easier solution than trying to get hold of 18 inch wheels. Lots of options to consider  :confused1: 

Cheers...

Just out of curiosity why would you require custom forged 18's? Most track based ISF's and RCF's are on 18's and a variety of differing brands.

That's the impression I gained from reading a few US based forums and looking at wheel manufacturers web sites. The issue that was quoted related to the "drop centre" type conventional 18's not having enough clearance for the brembo calipers. To get clearance they recommend race type wheels with a plain straight barrel. 

HOWEVER <<<=== that's a big however :wink3: I have limited faith in some of the information posted on US forums, so I am in the process of generating some hard facts for myself. I have bought a set of used 18" IS350 wheels so that I can check the clearance required myself. These are not supposed to fit over the Brembo's. Once that is done I will be visiting a local tire shop to see how the current crop of 18" mag wheels are designed, and do some measuring. If I can get off the shelf mags that fit then forget the requirement for forged racing wheels... I don't need the expense !!!

Cheers...

Thanks again Rich... I'm glad you got me thinking about this as I was getting locked in to some of the BS in outdated us forum threads. Got the car out and took a look at the clearance with the 19's and it looks to me that if the 18's have the same basic design, they should clear the Brembo's. If that's the case, as I should be able to pick up some 18's locally and 18" tires are way cheaper than 19's so I should be able to put some decent rubber on the car :smile: 

Here are a couple of pictures of the car and the Kiwami wheels (front one closeup).... 

Cheers...

IMG_2750s.JPG

IMG_2752s.JPG

front 01s.JPG

• Like 1

Whilst I have heard some wheels have clearance issues, I can tell you that's limited to a few designs. Here's my car on Wedsports SA25R'S and Enkei GTC01RR's (the side shot being the current set up and the Enkeis). 

Lexus-ISF-1.jpg

20220829_145540.jpg

Oh and in another odd twist, my ISF is Steviebee's old one!! He sold it to a gentleman in Aberdeenshire who didn't use it, and then I picked it up. It was standard bar the exhaust and steering wheel, when I bought it. The Lotus seats had been removed and the wheels he pictured above in this thread were not on the car.