Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do I really prefer my old RX to a new NX?

7 hours ago, Farnham Dave said:

Just looked it up... About 5-10 grand less expensive... And the RAV4 has good cargo capacity to boot (sorry, couldn't resist that one)

^^ Not sure about that in terms of pricing. I've just built an 'Excel' on the Toyota website, and although it has a few extra bits that my NX Luxury doesn't it is the closest in spec to mine. Oddly it has a smaller nav screen.

With the AWD engine it comes to £36,645 (with metallic paint). My NX (after discount) was pretty much the same price. Granted, discounts on the RAV should bring that down a bit after a few months on sale, so it will be a very interesting option...as long as the interior perceived quality is better than the previous one, which was the main reason I wouldn't consider it.

Ride quality is an interesting one. Having owned two NXs now across 18 months, I don't find it an issue and the rural tracks around here are - ahem - less than forgiving. Back to back with a GS it isn't as good, but how many people get to experience that sort of comparison over an extended period? My guess is that most people don't really notice. Fully accept it could be better though - will be interesting to see if real owners note it as an issue in the Auto Express Driver Power survey which has just launched. Also interesting to see a Lexus dealer advertising a used RX Sport, and pointing out in the advert that this RX has the standard suspension rather than the firmer set up of the F-Sport. Having spoken to a dealer after having the F-Sport RX - where the ride really was hard and not in keeping with the rest of the vehicle imho - he said that was common feedback and that most people preferred the standard set-up, as I did. 

Had I only driven an RX F-Sport I'd have considered the car overrated (I noted at the time that I didn't understand all the fuss about the RX having had that for a couple of weeks) mainly because the seats were too hard, the ride was hard, and it was noisy on the motorway. When the dealer then gave me the standard 'Sport' next, it was a car transformed and I finally understood why so many people love the latest RX.

Of more concern to the NX and RAV is probably the new Honda CR-V Hybrid, which in SR spec is also about the same price (slightly cheaper, albieit marginal) and which looks very good indeed...and as a serial Honda owner before my current Lexus I still feel that Hondas are that bit more thoughtfully designed and feel slightly better engineered.

An interesting discussion. After seeing an NX a year or two ago and liking the look of it I got thinking about what Lexus offered that would be an alternative to my daily driver Avensis.

When I changed cars this time last year I wasn't in a position to stretch to a modern-ish Lexus of any sort other than a CT, but they are too small and I soon realised this would be the case with the NX too, so I ended up with a petrol Avensis.

A year on and doing less mileage I have just been able to buy an RX. It's all that Lexus do that offers the space and versatility I've been used to. A shame there is no estate version of the IS or GS (or new ES), but maybe they wouldn't be popular enough in America or Japan?

The one thing that surprises me about it is that the ride isn't quite as cushioning as I'd have hoped. I would happily trade a little handling sharpness for the sort of ride offered by the LS400 or various examples of Camry I've owned in the past.

I still own and run a 1993 Camry estate. It's a rather tatty but mechanically sound thing which my wife dislikes quite intensely, but having persevered with repairing it after it got written-off several years ago I'm loathe to let it go. I much preferred driving it to the Avensis and it still acquits itself well against the RX. It's only a 2.2 manual so it has very modest levels of kit, but it has an incredible feeling of built-in quality that I don't think Toyota/Lexus will ever match despite what they might say. The comments made by Jay about his Gen 1 RX rang true with me - when I had a 1997 Camry alongside the older version there seemed to be very little progress and I ended up selling the newer one. For a while I had five Camrys all at the same time, so I was in quite a good position to compare their strengths and weaknesses.......

I disliked the 1.8 petrol engine in the Avensis, very characterless and no torque. Other modern, 4-cyl petrol Toyotas I've driven seem to suffer the same thing (my wife has a 2010 1.6 Auris). The previous diesel I had was a more relaxing thing to drive. Admittedly I haven't tried any Lexus with a 4-cyl engine, and maybe the combination of hybrid running gear and better levels of refinement mask the issues I perceive, but the idea doesn't enthuse me and that was another reason for choosing the RX.

I'd still be interested to try an NX, maybe I'll get one as a courtesy car at some point. It could offer a good option for me when I don't have two teenagers to carry around. Sounds like it needs an upgrade with the new RAV4's running gear though?

i had to replace my IS300H after 3 years and took an NX for a drive. Interior very familiar of course but it left me a bit disappointed. I found the engine had to work too hard to get the car up too speed, not enough power and torque it felt slower than the IS. Also the satnav was no improvement and i just didn know what but it did not steal my heart.

Following week took a Volvo XC40 T5 petrol 250hp for a drive which was roughly thesame price and i was blown away instantly. The NX felt a generation old and in my opinion the Volvo is better on alll fronts except fuel consumption. Better handling, ride, chassis, comfort and above all torque and infotainment. The comparison was not really fair. I took the Volvo. 

14 hours ago, Farnham Dave said:

That's interesting. Makes you wonder what Toyota/Lexus are doing making the RAV4 seem a better prospect than an NX (and presumably a fair bit cheaper, too). Although I've always had a bit of a 'problem' with the RAV4... Ever since one careered into my front garden.

It is partly because the RAV is a new vehicle and the NX is showing its age now but still a couple of years away from a full revision. The added benefit for the RAV is 5 year warranty and 30% cheaper servicing costs.

22 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

It is partly because the RAV is a new vehicle and the NX is showing its age now but still a couple of years away from a full revision. The added benefit for the RAV is 5 year warranty and 30% cheaper servicing costs.

That's a fair comment... I didn't realise the current NX was quite so elderly.

On 2/9/2019 at 12:30 PM, dutchie01 said:

i had to replace my IS300H after 3 years and took an NX for a drive. Interior very familiar of course but it left me a bit disappointed. I found the engine had to work too hard to get the car up too speed, not enough power and torque it felt slower than the IS. Also the satnav was no improvement and i just didn know what but it did not steal my heart.

Following week took a Volvo XC40 T5 petrol 250hp for a drive which was roughly thesame price and i was blown away instantly. The NX felt a generation old and in my opinion the Volvo is better on alll fronts except fuel consumption. Better handling, ride, chassis, comfort and above all torque and infotainment. The comparison was not really fair. I took the Volvo. 

That Volvo is a seriously nice vehicle. The T5 is well reviewed, even though most motoring media reckon the diesel is a better bet. Sigh...🙄

One of my very close friends has just got one to replace a Merc and aside from a couple of minor quality issues to be sorted that should have been done at the PDi - rattles in the cabin, driver's door doesn't sit properly and a mis-aligned rear bumper - she loves it to bits.

Personally I'm a bit surprised at some of the quality issues, especially on a brand new £40k top of the range car, but having had Japanese cars for years I guess I'm spoiled in that respect. Even so, this will be on my list for next time, have always liked Volvos. I must be getting old...