Billnick

GS Front Brakes Upgrade for IS250

Hi all,

Seen a few members with front brakes from the GS.

Can anyone please advise me what is involved with this upgrade?

Which model and year range of GS please, and do the calipers and discs go straight on, or does anything need modifying or customising?

I have a 2008 IS250 SE-L

Thanks

Bill

All you need to know... I need to bookmark this, but so far google always helps me out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/405811-is350-brake-upgrade-on-is250.html

IS350/GS350 and GS300 mk3 and mk2 have same size calipers which are interchangeable, but has different look. For "big brake kit" look you really need IS/GS350 calipers, GS300 is just bigger. 

Done this upgrade to my car last year and its one of the best things I've ever done. There's lots of pics and info of the process in my build thread.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/index.php?/topic/112594-My-IS250-F-Sport#entry1053919

But, basically it's a straightforward bolt-on swap with only one small modification required.

a818a3a6e409b900a9a338df03366d1f.jpg&key=8700c3d96e79f51c9162e4ab20968de5c95bce3f7c7bfeccc5a0758e1fae0e55

That small triangular piece of metal needs to be trimmed from the dust shield to accommodate the bigger caliper.

I imported actual IS350 calipers from the USA (rockauto) just to be certain, but as Lines says, the same brakes are on other Lexus models. I believe all GS450h cars have these brakes, also 200T models etc.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks very much!

I look forward to reading your thread.

J Henderson, Can I ask what leads you to say "its one of the best things I've ever done"?

I know the 250 brakes and be a bit 'grabby' and sometimes I feel as though any passengers in the car may think it's my braking methods when in fact it is not! So is this 'grabby' feeling down to the size of the disc or the size of the pads (or both)  in some way? And are you brakes now nice and smooth in their actions? not that the 250 brakes aren't there when you need them! Just an art to apply them smoothly!

paul m.

I have almost new OEM discs and pads (3-4000 miles in) and they seem find on smooth soft braking, but as soon as you apply a bit of harder pressure or need to stop quickly, they pulse, like the pads are only making contact on one part of the disc.

No wobble in the steering wheel however, so I think it could be the rears (also supported by the fact that it only happens when you put on full anchors).

How would you describe your 'grabby' sensation?

It's like slowing down from say 50-60 to a stop and at some point just before the actual point of stopping it's like some extra pressure has been applied ( not by me) and the brakes work a bit harder, similar I say to if you was braking to stop at a point in the distance and at some point a hazard was spotted, you would up the pressure to reduce your stopping distance but I'm Not upping the pressure! Like I said passengers might think 'why did we do Extra braking there for No reason'

hope the description makes dome sort of sense.

paul m.

Does make sense yes, different to my issue it seems.

When was the last time your car had a full brake fluid replacement? That can make hell of a difference. Air builds up in the fluid over time so they recommend replacement every 2 years.

Both issues very odd and annoying to say the least.

I understand the importance of tip-top Brake fluid and I would of thought that deteriorating fluid would make the braking effect Worst not momentarily Better!

paul m.

I haven't done it, but I generally think that IS250 brakes are undersized for heavy car. I mean IS350 is not that much heavier, but has massive brakes. As much as I looked into it, many people agree and the ones who have done it as well mentions that as one of main "practical" benefits, the rest is just for additional confidence - it is not like one races IS250 so such large brakes not necessary needed simply for stopping. I personally don't have issue with braking power, but if I would do the upgrade I would do it from maintenance perspective. IS250 just chews through the brake disks like cheese, one almost need to change the disks when changing pads and the dust from pads again is massive issue. Having much larger brakes would mean much reduced wear and hence less maintenance and less dust.

@Texas

Yes, your assumptions are correct. The bigger brakes are exactly how you have imagined there.
They're no longer grabby and operate way more smoothly than the stock setup. Even if you don't thrash your car and brake hard all the time, their extra stopping power can be felt.

One of the more noticeable instances I observed was how easily you can now hold the car at a set of traffic lights on a cold day. Normally, when the engine was still cold and idling at 1200-1500 RPM, you had to press the brake pedal quite firmly to avoid it creeping forward, but now it stays put with a normal amount of brake pedal pressure.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

👍

Just ordered some 450h calipers £130 posted

Will get em fully refurbished in black

Cant wait!

• Like 3