Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC as Cargo Carrier

This post may be of interest to other owners tempted to put their RC to unorthodox use.  Certainly, until recently, the RC was not the sort of car I would normally have connected with my memory - now probably a remote one - of all shapes and sizes of vehicles with GB plates heading towards Calais or Boulogne  filled to the roof with bottles of wine.  The other day I found myself needing to transport a cargo of wines across town.  The load consisted of upwards of 160 bottles mostly packed in cartons of 6 plus two wooden cases of 12 and a few odd singles.  Worried they would not fit into the RC, I had been toying with the idea of hiring a small van.  However, to my amazement, though admittedly not without some geometrical computation, the entire load went in easily once the rear-seats were folded down.  To my even greater surprise, I could probably have got another couple of dozen bottles into the back without affecting my rear view and, at a pinch, also used the footwells.

I have never hidden my fondness for the RC but had not previously given it high marks for its loading potential.

5C219668-A79B-4A3D-BDE4-E751C332D649.jpeg

6C958631-E63B-489A-B39C-3FBD6695B3E8.jpeg

• Like 2

You obviously haven't been on holiday with my good lady, just a stay of a few days will involve a ridiculous amount of luggage! I  thought the RC might necessitate a rationalisation in the number of outfits chosen but no, it all went in there. Ok, the car will never challenge an estate for load lugging but it's descriptively capacious!

How did the car handle with what must have been quite a weight back there?

4 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

How did the car handle with what must have been quite a weight back there?

Not badly at all.  It felt a bit lumpish on a brief uphill stretch but this could well have been my imagination.  Comforted by the thought that all Japanese cars must be designed to occasionally carry a couple of Sumo wrestlers, I figured the load was equal to two corpulent rear passengers plus their luggage for a long holiday. I am glad to hear that my good lady is not alone in offering generous support to the retail trade wherever she travels.

• Haha 1