Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking of a '93 LS400

Long time Lexus fan and lurker of this forum. It's been a very interesting resource!

So to my question: After googling for way too much and watching way too many videos on YouTube about the LS400 I decided to create an account on this forum. LS400's are far and few between in Sweden, but I passed on a very nice looking dark blue LS400 this summer and it's been haunting me ever since. V8's aren't very common outside of newer cars / vintage American muscle cars etc, but I kinda feel like if I don't get a V8 soon, it'll be too late (with gas prices and general availability). 

So now a nice looking 1993 in a lighter blue color (blue interior) shows up @ 155k miles for ~3 grand. Dude put coilovers on it, but the original dampers are included. It's not cheap, and there is probably some wiggle room. However, there is one big worry I have when it comes to buying an LS400 and it's the parts availability. I've googled and googled but am left unsatisfied with parts availability in Europe. I know that some things are relatively expensive (suspension arms etc), but sometimes I'm not sure if it's because of limited availability or the genuine cost of the part.

Any tips/recommendations?

Fewer of the '93's around I suspect but the styling didn't improve in the later cars (only my opinion and bias) but then the older the Car the more problems,  may surface.

Parts, I suggest you look at Rockauto.com and scroll down to Lexus LS400 1993 and check out whatever you feel may worry you about parts.  I've not had any difficulty in finding parts.  Only the ECU would be a problem if it needs attention or replacement. Otherwise, service parts for these 25 year old cars are plentiful.

and supplies from Amayama in Japan too ...  often original Toyota parts

where I buy mine from ......  UK main dealer / Toyota sourced prices are often about double and that's even after all shipping and UK taxes

you may have reached the stage at 155k miles that if suspension parts etc haven't been renewed then that time might be looming BUT the new one's will last you another lifetime you can be quite certain :yahoo:

As I've often said, the Ls400 is a wolf in sheep's clothing with a roar as loud as hearing sheep munching grass from 200 meters away :biggrin:

Just fabulous cars and tiny money compared to a new V8 or American muscle car I would think

Malc

• Like 1

I assume a 93 would not have VSC on, so not sure how it would drive in Swedish winters.  (unless different spec to UK)

When I was looking for a Mk4, had a reply from one Finnish owner who used his all year round no problems.

ECU on earlier models do seem to be more of a problem.  My Mk4 only 19 years old, but do not appear to be suffering same issues I had with ECU in previous Mk3.

Some parts seem to have gone up by a fair % over last few years, and with a 26 year old 155K miles, I would think the control arms would have been replaced before now, if not then a larger bill coming your way some time soon.

Also I would have thought the more expensive petrol the cheaper V8s get.  I bought my first LS in 2008, the recession was kicking in, price of fuel was going up, price of big cars dropping. it was a no brainer for me.

LS wil lalways be the cheapest car I have ever run, until I give it up and just use a bus pass to get around (not too many years now!!!)

Thanks for the replies! 

I'll be sure to check any potential car if the suspension has been changed (as that's one of the main worries). Windscreens seem to be huge expensive if they break, and I'm a bit worried that insurance would total the car instead of replacing it. Will also keep an eye out for ECU problems.

One step closer to an LS400!

43 minutes ago, Jomps said:

bit worried that insurance would total the car instead of replacing it.

that's often the way of things with insurers ......  you could try insuring it for an agreed value maybe 

Malc